Jodorosky's Dune

The Endless

WE are Groot
Reaction score
Fans of of sci-fi and film in general really need to watch this documentary about Jodorosky's legendary unmade Dune film.

With a production team that consisted of the likes of Jean Giraud (Moebius), Dan O' Bannon and HR Giger. A cast that included the likes of Orson Welles, David Carradine and Salvidor Dali. A soundtrack produced by Pink Floyd! This could have been something really special that changed the landscape of cinema forever.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/jodorowskys_dune/

Last edited:
i watched part of it. fantastic documentary.

It was a great doc film, both about "what it could have been" but also an unholy ego-filled disaster thankfully avoided.

It is interesting to see a filmmaker of his generation talking about "raping" an intellectual property in much the same way than overly indulgent internet geeks use the term now, except that Jodo tries to use it in a positive way.

Oh it definitely could have been a totally self indulgent disaster. But i just love the guys passion for it and how he wanted to do something that at the time and maybe still to this day would be extraordinary. Some of the shots he wanted to do, like the long take going through the universe sounds like it would be hard to pull off today!

The funny part to me is all these master craftsmen (Moebius, Giger, O'Bannon) seemed to be pretty much only designing what, in the context of the book, were minor throwaway elements that would be only seen and then discarded after the first act. Things like the Harkonnen palace, Guild freighter, etc. Kind of like how much he wanted to spend just to get Salvador Dali in a 30 second role.

Last edited:
I still need to see this, but the idea of Pink Floyd crafting the score for a Dune film would've really been something to see. Or, rather, hear...

It was an interesting portrait of a film maker with passion. I saw it a few moths back and was pleasantly surprised at how interesting AND entertaining it was. The cast he was thinking of using was quite spectacular. Jagger as Feyd? Carradine as Leto? This was a murder's row of talent he had and even the idea of Dahli as the Emperor has a strange logic to it.

I need to see this. Especially since I am going through the Dune books again.

It was an interesting portrait of a film maker with passion. I saw it a few moths back and was pleasantly surprised at how interesting AND entertaining it was. The cast he was thinking of using was quite spectacular. Jagger as Feyd? Carradine as Leto? This was a murder's row of talent he had and even the idea of Dahli as the Emperor has a strange logic to it.

It broke my heart that this only came shy of 5million to get financing complete. :csad:

Also, the old french investor is the father of Lea Seydoux. . I have not yet searched for her ma', but she probably got her looks from her. :oldrazz:

Is this available on Netflix at all or anywhere?

It broke my heart that this only came shy of 5million to get financing complete. :csad:

I'm not. Despite the amazing art direction the movie would have had, it would have been an unholy narcissistic mess that would have made the David Lynch version look like Citizen Kane.

Personally, I'm fine with the TV miniseries as a faithful adaptation of the novel.

The first book is my favorite novel. I hate all the sequels.

I wanted to love the SyFy mini series... But other than aspects of production design I find it incredibly bland.

I just think Dune is unfilmable as a big budget thing. As a franchise, audiences would not find it satisfying.

I think a mini series format is the best bet and that we will see a new version in the future. I think you can do that story justice.

Yeah just not as a feature film. In this day and age, the budget would be gigantic. Plus, it's a hard plot to boil down in 2 hours plus.

Maybe a TV series like Game of Thrones. But even then, adapting the later books would be a pain because the sequel books just aren't very good.

It's Dune and then everything is downhill from there.

Though the later books would have all the required sex HBO would need...

I don't see why the budget needs to be gigantic. There isn't that much action.

I'm not. Despite the amazing art direction the movie would have had, it would have been an unholy narcissistic mess that would have made the David Lynch version look like Citizen Kane.

I pretty much agree. After watching this I do not think that his version would have been all that great. Different, sure. Better, eh. Good, not really.

In a world where Malick still gets paid to film some goddamn dirt and tree branches, I will allow this hippie narcissistic version on my soul.

In a world where Malick still gets paid to film some goddamn dirt and tree branches, I will allow this hippie narcissistic version on my soul.

Lol, I have compromised many friendships after telling people how much I liked Tree Of Life.

Lol, I have compromised many friendships after telling people how much I liked Tree Of Life.

I love Badlands and Days of Heaven might just be the best cinematography ever shot on film, but he started letting the wind lick his own ass.

^That's gonna be my go to phrase from now on. "Man, Steve can be a good dude but he started lettin' the wind lick his own ass."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"