Johnny Depp Starring In "The Thin Man"

Project862006

Avenger
Reaction score
Rob Marshall and John DeLuca have officially signed on to the Warner Bros. planned remake of THE THIN MAN. The pair will produce the film via their LUCAMAR Productions banner. Award-winning director Marshall is also confirmed to direct. The film will reteam Marshall with Johnny Depp, who is attached to star in the project. The two just worked together on PIRATES OF THE CARRIBEAN: ON STRANGER TIDES which Disney will be releasing on May 20. LUCAMAR Productions joins Infinitum Nihil Company and Langley Park Pictures as production companies on the project. In addition to DeLuca and Marshall, Johnny Depp and Christi Dembrowski are producing on behalf of Infinitum Nihil, and Kevin McCormick is producing on behalf of his Langley Park Pictures. Jerry Stahl is attached as screenwriter. Says Marshall, “John and I are overjoyed at the idea of working with Johnny again, especially on such a classy and classic project. We are also thrilled to be partnering this time with such wonderful producers as Christi Dembroski and Kevin McCormick, and we are looking forward to working with Warner Bros. to create a reinvention of a beloved story.”

CAA and Michael Gendler of Gendler & Kelly negotiated the deal with Warner Bros. on behalf of Marshall and DeLuca. THE THIN MAN is a remake of the Oscar-Nominated 1934 film starring William Powell and Myrna Loy.
ABOUT LUCAMAR PRODUCTIONS:
LUCAMAR Productions most recently produced the film adaptation of the Broadway musical “Nine,” starring Daniel Day-Lewis, Nicole Kidman, Penélope Cruz, Marion Cotillard, Kate Hudson, Fergie, Sophia Loren and Judi Dench, which was nominated for four Academy Awards®. Prior to that, LUCAMAR produced the star-studded, NBC television event “Tony Bennett: An American Classic,” which won seven Emmy Awards®, the most of any nominated show that season.
The Studio is Currently looking to Find The Female Lead Across Of Depp

the actresses interested in taking the part are:
Carey Mulligan,Rachel Weisz,Kristen Wiig,Emily Blunt,Isla Fisher,Eva Green,Amy Adams, Emma Stone
THIN_MAN_nora_charles__120329201000-575x390.jpg
http://www.deadline.com/2012/03/hot...harles/#utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

What, really? Aw, this is brilliant! I love Hammett novels and The Thin Man is one of my favourites.
Depp's gonna be a great Nick Charles!

Great group of actress. Anyone of them except Green would be great.

IF Greene gets cast, boy oh boy, will rumors of their supposed affair, will run amok once again. And I think there might be some truth to it.

Just cast Weisz. She is easily the best for the part from that list. Though I'd cast Keira Knightley or Cate Blanchett.

Love the Thin Man films by the way. Could spend a whole weekend just watching them again and again.

Last edited:
Kristen Wiig would be an interesting choice.

Just cast Weisz. She is easily the best for the part from that list.

Is she, though? The range of actresses on that list doesn't give any indication of what the part is like as written in this script (there is one, right?), or if Rob Marshall even knows what he wants himself. There are great actresses included here, but the range - in looks, age, and acting style - is really interesting and maybe kind of troubling. Bottom line, though: I hope these two characters and actors are true equals, and, of course, that they have chemistry (The Tourist wasn't a disaster, because it wasn't interesting enough to be; it was merely boring, mainly because the the Depp/Jolie pair generated no such sparks). It's Nick and Nora Charles, not Mr. and Mrs. Nick Charles.

^the character needs comedic chops on top of drama

so i have no clue why carey is in their lol she has the personality of a rock

http://www.deadline.com/2012/06/warner-bros-puts-the-brakes-on-the-thin-man-remake/

Warner Bros Pumping The Brakes On ‘The Thin Man’ Remake?
By MIKE FLEMING | Thursday June 21, 2012 @ 7:15pm PDT

EXCLUSIVE: I’m hearing that Warner Bros is pumping the brakes on The Thin Man, the remake that Johnny Depp plans to star in for director Rob Marshall. The film hadn’t been green lit yet, and they hadn’t got to the point where they set an actress to play Nora to Depp’s Nick. But I’ve heard that Marshall will likely move on and direct Into The Woods as his next film at Disney. Marshall has also been working on that film for some time. A budget for The Thin Man was just submitted, and I’m told there isn’t a big rush here because Depp wants to take some time between films. But Warner Bros can’t have been too happy with the performance of Dark Shadows, another quirky remake of a period piece with Depp. The studio hasn’t been shy about pulling back on films like Arthur & Lancelot and Akira over budget and redeveloping them for cost. Word is that this budget came in north of $100 million, and that it was a factor. The original plan was to start production in late November, but that will change as Marshall eyes Into the Woods next and The Thin Man after. WB tells me the film wasn’t green lit and the studio denies there is any drama going on.

I dont know anything about the Thin Man. Would it cost $100+ million to make a good remake

I don't get the need for it.

You can easily do this for like 50 million or less. 100 million? I don't blame WB then. I just can't see this being a hit, and I feel like Depp needs to readjust his career before it gets stale. That means, taking more chances, doing more indie movies. Like what Pitt is doing right now.

Last edited:
...why would it be?

You can easily do this for like 50 million or less. 100 million? I don't blame WB then. I just can't see this being a hit, and I feel like Depp needs to readjust his career before it gets stale. That means, taking more chances, doing more indie movies. Like what Pitt is doing right now.

Yeah, the price is crazy. Still, I think this could be quite the hit for Depp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"