Joker 'JOKER: FOLIE À DEUX' (Phillips and Phoenix return for the sequel) General News & Discussion Thread

Saw that Todd McFarlane commented on Phillips’s post. Dare I hope for a Joaquin figure?

I would like Lady Gaga to use this film to promote her neXt studio album. I listened to all of her albums eXcept for her 2nd album with Tony Bennett (Love for Sale).

Gaga is going to cook so hard in this. Huge Star Is Born meets Joker vibes...

I get raising the budget, Phoenix and Philips no doubt are asking for more money, and Gaga can't be cheap, but $200 million is wild. Their takeaway from the first one should've been that they don't need to spend that kind of money on these films.

Oh. The first film cost well under 100 million. Interesting choice, on paper it sounds a little bit ridiculous that Joker 2 would need money like that, but we'll see. Maybe it's five hours long. Did they pay Gaga 50 million for this? Maybe that trailer is going to look completely different than what I imagined and we're doing sky beams and robot armies.

Last edited:
We don’t know how much Phillips is getting paid for coming back, so we can probably assume the production budget is around $150M. That’s not completely shocking if the sets are more elaborate and the film is longer.

I get raising the budget, Phoenix and Philips no doubt are asking for more money, and Gaga can't be cheap, but $200 million is wild. Their takeaway from the first one should've been that they don't need to spend that kind of money on these films.
Their takeaway from the first movie should also be that they need to focus more on different approaches and one and done films not mandated by studios, and yet here we are.

That's a shockingly high budget. And im still not even sure if this film is guaranteed to be as big of a box office hit as the first film was. Time will tell, I suppose.

I like it. Why not ask for the sky and see if WB pays after delivering them a 1 billion dollar movie nobody expected.

Todd Phillips and WB

WB “Todd! We want a sequel to Joker.”

“Yeah? Not sure where to go. It was a one off.”

WB “Come on Todd, we’ll give you anything you want!”

“Anything? Ok… I want it to be a musical!”

WB “Done.”

“Lady Ga Ga as Harley Quinn”

WB “Great.”

“And… I want $100M budget this time.”

WB “Sure.”

“Really? I meant 200M!”

WB “Ok”

“Yeah.”

They are not, the first one was a success, so everyone wanted their share in the cake, actors, director, producers, that's why the budget is that big, the money basically returns to them.

Idk what a write off has to do w the budget of any other project lol ****ting WB is easy but idk how that correlates

There's no way the sequel will do anything near what the first one did, for a big variety of reasons, but I always said that it would certainly still be successful, thinking it was going to be similarly cheap to the first one. With a 200 million budget, profit is in peril now.

If the first one as slow burn drama about guy becoming the Joker made 1 billion, an edgy romance with Joker and Harley will make at least 800 millions worldwide.

If the first one as slow burn drama about guy becoming the Joker made 1 billion, an edgy romance with Joker and Harley will make at least 800 millions worldwide.
The first one was the definition of lightning in a bottle. A movie that came at the right place at the right time. You can't replicate this level of success for this type of film.

Also it was at the literal peak of superhero films, where the slate made more than 6 billion, while this year every single one of them bombed with the exception of Guardians 3 and even that didn't touch the average box office run of those films in 2019. We're talking about a time where a sequel to 1.13 billion dollar film in the biggest franchise imaginable made less than fricking Dark Phoenix.

Furthermore it's a musical and those don't end up making that much money usually. There are exceptions to the rule but it's not something that favours repeat viewings, especially for the audience a Joker film has.

No competition is certainly going to help the flick in October but some people seriously need to adjust their expectations for superhero films these days.

I think the first trailer will be a good indication of what this film will be like, and I'm definitely excited for it, but I too am a bit skeptical of it making as much money as the first film. It certainly could, but I think the musical aspect may be end up being divisive for audiences, but I suppose it all depends on how it's excuted. That huge budget has me concerned.

Imo the huge increase in budget can only possibly mean one thing

The Joker will fight a giant spider in the third act.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"