Kate | Netflix

Blitzkrieg

Avenger
Reaction score
Mary Elizabeth Winstead to Star in Netflix Assassin Thriller ‘Kate’ (EXCLUSIVE)

Mary Elizabeth Winstead is set to star in the Netflix actioner “Kate” sources tell Variety. “The Huntsman: Winter’s War” director Cedric Nicolas-Troyan is helming from a script by Umair Aleem.

The story revolves around a female assassin, who, after being poisoned and given less than 24 hours to live, must go on a manhunt through the streets of Tokyo to take vengeance on her murderer before she dies.

EXCLUSIVE: Mary Elizabeth Winstead’s Tokyo-Set Assassin Flick ‘Kate’ Casting Lead Role of Ani, A Yakuza Princess Kate Kidnaps – Produced By ‘Atomic Blonde’s David Leitch

LEAD ROLE OF ANI
*12-15

*FEMALE

*ASIAN, SOUTHEAST ASIAN OR PACIFIC ISLANDER

*SPEAKS BOTH JAPANESE & ENGLISH – FLUENCY NOT REQUIRED

Ani, a Yakuza Princess, is a spoiled brat that is deeply connected to the criminal underworld of the Yakuza in Tokyo, Japan. She is both prone to profanity and seems much more mature than her age would suggest. After being poisoned, Kate kidnaps Ani for leverage to infiltrate the Japanese Yakuza and track down her murderer.

We’ve also learned that filming may begin on September 19th with locations expected to include Japan and possibly even Thailand. Netflix recently shot the Chris Hemsworth action film Dhaka in Thailand.

It’s being produced by Atomic Blonde and Deadpool 2 director David Leitch (John Wick), which could mean that his stunt company 87Eleven Action Design may get involved with the action sequences. The team recently worked with Winstead on the upcoming DC Comics movie Birds of Prey. Leitch’s latest directorial effort Hobbs and Shaw releases on August 2nd and his next film is expected to be the Warner Bros. vampire action film Undying Love.

So it's basically Crank with Ramona Flowers and none of the insane action or WTF-ery. If you're gonna rip off Crank why not got all the way?

The script is fast paced, violent and kinda twists the female assassin genre in a good way. Some cliches that comes with this genre, mostly in flashbacks type thing, but I really dug it.

Man, Winstead is truly great. I hope to see her get more lead roles because she really has it all in spades for a leading actor. She's got the perfect mixture of range, looks, likability and charisma. She brings her all to each role. I've never seen her where she's on autopilot.

I love MEW. But couldn’t they have given this movie a better title than “Kate?”

My queen MEW looking so dope :atp:. I just hope this movie doesn’t have too many female assassin cliches. Or yakuza/Tokyo bathed in neon cliches.

I hope this builds up to the epic crossover, Kate vs. Alley.

Looks entertaining enough I guess. Happy MEW gets her own action vehicle though, she's one of the few actors that's genuinely convincing in physical roles like this.

Good or not I'm down to watch Winstead hit people for a couple of hours.

As long as its better than Gunpowder Milkshake I'll be satisfied and I already buy MEW this type of role way more than I do Karen Gillian who I like as an actress, but she felt so miscast in that movie.

She was born to be a female action hero and I'm glad to see her finally getting her shot with this plus it just looks alot more stylish and closer to the aesthetic of the John Wick films.

She's so damn good in 10 Cloverfield Lane I wouldn't have minded seeing her as Lucy McLane being the action lead in a Die Hard sequel. Yes, it's contrived as hell, but she is just so damn likable and charismatic where if it had to be done but done right, I'd take it over a bored Willis.

Looks ok. MEW looks terrific though.

This looks like one of Netflix's better attempts at a premium action flick but calling it right now that Woody is gonna be the "secret" villain.

Enjoyed this, definitely a turn your brain off movie but it’s entertaining and has some touching moments also. MEW holds it all together with a really good and physical performance.

6.5/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"