• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Legendary Teams with Dwayne Johnson on Skyscraper Movie

Because of course...

Paralympian Actress Katy Sullivan Chides Dwayne Johnson For Playing Amputee In ‘Skyscraper’
https://deadline.com/2018/07/paraly...asting-katy-sullivan-disabilities-1202427187/
This is getting ridiculous, with all the stunt work Rock does it most likely wasn't practical to use a genuine amputee, and on top of that this movie hasn't exactly done huge box office, it wouldn't have gotten made without the Rock.

I feel bad for Rock, I think havng the hero with this disability was genuine on his part, a different type of hero, but that's not enough now apparently, and the irony of that is without him this action hero never sees the light of day and neither does the representation..

He should give Chris McQuarrie a call.

Best intentions don't matter to these people, HR. Doesn't mean a thing that he/the director's hearts are in the right place and showcasing an amputee in an action movie might do some good.

People aren't just people anymore, we're segmented into our little identity groups and ne'er the two shall mix.

Jesus, that paralympian thing is insane.

You can basically take this phenomenon to any extreme conclusion, any group can take issue with anything. They're actors, they get paid to put themselves in other people's shoes, play other people.

If you've got a huge-name genuine-amputee/prosthesis user with Dwayne's marquee-value, sure, right, go for your lives, give them the role.

That person doesn't exist though. He's not doing anything wrong by taking that role, if anything he's probably doing net-balance good by getting people who wouldn't usually think about the difficulties these people face exposed to it.

What, military guys with PTSD are going to start saying "hey, action-movie guy, how dare you play a returned vet with severe shellshock?!" Or "British stage actor guy, the balls on you for playing an Irishman! Your ancestors screwed over mine! Irish people play Irish people only!"

They might as well start. Consistency's sake and all.

I hear Anthony Hopkins isn't even an actual cannibal. How am I supposed to believe The Silence of the Lambs now??

I'm writing to you on behalf of the Outraged Cannibal Association, and... :p

I feel for trans people and the disabled, but at a certain point it really is Ned Flanders sending "tsk tsk!" mail to the writers of a cartoon or whatever.

This is getting ridiculous, with all the stunt work Rock does it most likely wasn't practical to use a genuine amputee, and on top of that this movie hasn't exactly done huge box office, it wouldn't have gotten made without the Rock.

I feel bad for Rock, I think havng the hero with this disability was genuine on his part, a different type of hero, but that's not enough now apparently, and the irony of that is without him this action hero never sees the light of day and neither does the representation..

I didn't see San Andreas in a theatre.
But,The Rock playing an amputee is one of the things that drew me to this film.

Charlie Cox can no longer play Daredevil because he's not literally blind.

We laugh but that’s literally where we’re headed.

To be fair and play devil's advocate, I think there are complaints that are valid, like when a white person is cast as Motoko Kusanagi. And a studio says they need a big name to justify a Ghost in the Shell movie, they make it with the big name and then it flops. Like studios and executives like, "we can't cast Asians or Asian Americans in these roles because there aren't big enough names." But then how do they become big names if they aren't given opportunities in roles, especially roles where they make sense? Ghost in the Shell, Motoko Kusanagi has always been Japanese. It's a Japanese character. This isn't exactly like gender or race flipping. The character has always been written as a Japanese person.

But there are parts of this PC culture where it's like you are outraged over everything and try to find some sort of toxicity with everything, so then you can't do anything anymore.

There's nothing wrong with casting a non-amputee in an amputee role or a non-blind person in a blind person's role.

I think a greater level of diversity and inclusion in major movies is good. It should be encouraged. But when we are getting angry over stupid crap like this, it's like the plot of the argument has been lost.

Agreed; this is getting ridiculous.

To be fair and play devil's advocate, I think there are complaints that are valid, like when a white person is cast as Motoko Kusanagi.

Scarlett wasn't playing Japanese Kusanagi in any physical sense, though. Just the corporation's robot-body, which could look like anything. Kusanagi's just the mind inside, and they kept that Japanese fo the movie. The Japanese have that weird western-obsession thing going on anyway, not out of the realm of possibility a company might build their artificial body looking like a European.

It's really a non-issue too. Emma Stone playing a Japanese person in that Crowe movie was ridiculously stupid, but the Scarlett controversy isn't the same thing. It's a little weird the character had an American accent, but the physical side of it makes sense, at least as much sense as the train-of-thought that the robot has to look native Japanese.

Scarlett wasn't playing Japanese Kusanagi in any physical sense, though. Just the corporation's robot-body, which could look like anything. Kusanagi's just the mind inside, and they kept that Japanese fo the movie. The Japanese have that weird western-obsession thing going on anyway, not out of the realm of possibility a company might build their artificial body looking like a European.

It's really a non-issue too. Emma Stone playing a Japanese person in that Crowe movie was ridiculously stupid, but the Scarlett controversy isn't the same thing. It's a little weird the character had an American accent, but the physical side of it makes sense, at least as much sense as the train-of-thought that the robot has to look native Japanese.
If the body can look like anything Aximili86, then it can look like someone who is Asian or Asian American ;)

How about this... There is more online "outrage" about "outrage" than there is actual genuine outrage and that when one brings up something like this paralympian's comments you are actually doing a better job of getting their message out by clutching your collective pearls kvetching about it. I dare say most wouldn't even be aware of most of these "outrage" moments if ya'll didn't bring them up and make them seem like bigger and more widespread phenomenon than they are.

Also... The Japanese actually didn't have a problem with ScarJo in GiTS. You can easily find the footage. That film wasn't done in by either it's "white washing" or it's straying from the anime or manga. It failed because it had lackluster action and frankly because even the original anime isn't all that engaging outside of it's visuals. A live action adaptation would have had to knock it out of the park on all levels, drama, performances, action and production design. It sure was pretty but was inert everywhere else.

With the exception of Baywatch, which was a dud, Rock seems to be more enjoyable to watch when he was either an ensemble or equally talented co-star to play off of onscreen. This movie had neither.

The team up of Zac Efron and The Rock is death to comedy. Worst comedy duo ever.

Thing is, studio's can be brave and put 'minority' actors in films - they have no star pull, but you hope they do a good enough performance that the film is praised... but here is my issue.. if there was a genuine amputee actor out there who could have done a stellar job, then ok, you have a point, butt hen maybe that's the issue - there great actors who just don't get these parts.

I feel people like to be offended and defend the oppressed just to feel good.

Thing is, it's called acting, don't complicate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"