• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

List of Influential Comic Book Films

Binker

Superhero
Reaction score
So I was thinking of the topic's title, and made a list for fun, but legit in the end. I have a list now, but there are questions of what else would you, me, anybody would include on it too.

The list so far:
SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE
BATMAN
X-MEN
THE DARK KNIGHT
THE AVENGERS
JOKER

There's no need to explain why for each title, but in general: SUPERMAN for creating the superhero film genre, BATMAN for the blockbuster upgrade; X-MEN for its grounded reality that started the still running superhero film renaissance, THE DARK KNIGHT for its highly praised concept; and THE AVENGERS for the result for the cinematic universe, with JOKER on the list for its psychological deconstruction.

But there is more, but do they deserve to be on the list? Here are the selections so far:

BLADE, SPIDER-MAN, WATCHMEN, BATMAN V SUPERMAN, JUSTICE LEAGUE [THE SNYDER CUT] (in regards to movement), WONDER WOMAN, INFINITY WAR/ENDGAME, and BLACK PANTHER. I think I'd want to include MAN OF STEEL on the list, but I don't know. But the selections here make sense, as they have good reasons.

What do you guys think?

Obviously I'm far from a Snyder fan, but when you say influential, it means influence other films. I don't see how BvS changed the cinematic landscape except for being a cautionary tale on trying to keep up with another studio by doubling down on a previous director who didn't capture on the current CBM theme with the general audience with his first movie?

I'd add Iron Man to the list for starting the MCU craze.

What do I think?

I think the only films listed in OP with a real, tangible influence are STM, B89, TDK, and The Avengers, and maybe X-Men, but even then, Spider-Man 1 has definitely had more influence on the modern cbm boom.

I also think OP continues to have one of the worst signatures on the hype.

List of the most Influential films IMO

SandyFeistyGossamerwingedbutterfly-small.gif

SUPERMAN (1978)
Title+card.gif

BATMAN (1989)
156e77a4-8c9d-4963-b02c-20532a85aae5.gif

SPIDERMAN (2002)

3HdH.gif

THE DARK KNIGHT (2008)

vUufXX.gif

THE AVENGERS (2012)

I still wouldn't put X Men as an influential cbm. It's important, but not influential. I think Joker will end up being influential , but it's a bit early to say at this point.

In terms of the important films to the course of the genre

1-10.gif

BATMAN AND ROBIN (1997)- It was a bad film, but without it, you don't get TDK and everything that follows from that including TDK trilogies influence on Hollywood and cbm's Batfleck , Matt Reeves The Batman, and Joker . Aside from that , the genre I strongly suspect, looks quite a bit different in the early 00's if Batman and Robin is popular and beloved in the summer of 1997. If that film is a hit, you don't hear the name Nolan associated with Batman.

2jMg.gif

X MEN (2000)

image-asset.gif

IRON MAN (2008)

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f734b536e6844697532556b7376773d3d2d323030332e313562653032353035373438306432343330313835373038383439302e676966

WONDER WOMAN (2017)

200.gif

BLACK PANTHER (2018)

giphy.gif

AVENGERS ENDGAME (2019)

tenor.gif

JOKER (2019)

Film's whose importance or influence are yet to be determined

FLASHPOINT (2022) and SPIDERMAN 3 (2021), both dealing with the multiverse concept in depth as opposed to being alluded to or explained in exposition. Considered risky by alot of fans.

I don't see how BvS changed the cinematic landscape except for being a cautionary tale on trying to keep up with another studio by doubling down on a previous director who didn't capture on the current CBM theme with the general audience with his first movie?

There's more to BvS with its UE and why many consider it a masterpiece.

I also think OP continues to have one of the worst signatures on the hype.

Stick to the topic please, and not on me. PM me if you do, not on here.

1-10.gif

BATMAN AND ROBIN (1997)- It was a bad film, but without it, you don't get TDK and everything that follows from that including TDK trilogies influence on Hollywood and cbm's Batfleck , Matt Reeves The Batman, and Joker . Aside from that , the genre I strongly suspect, looks quite a bit different in the early 00's if Batman and Robin is popular and beloved in the summer of 1997. If that film is a hit, you don't hear the name Nolan associated with Batman.

That ain't an influential film at all. Just a movie that shouldn't have been made, period. Sorry dude. Rest are good though.

Stick to the topic please, and not on me. PM me if you do, not on here.

If you're concerned with being on topic, there was a whole other part of that post that related to the subject matter.

Fair enough, but there was a whole part of that post that was on topic that you could've responded to.

Yes there was, but that stood out for me.

As for your post: not the only person who suggested Spidey 1, and I tend to agree. However, X-Men got the ball rolling, and Spidey 1 either cemented that or confirmed that, however one you choose. In that regard, I would list both.

Obviously...
Superman 1978
Batman 1989
Spider-man 2002
The Dark Knight 2008
Avengers 2012

Honorable mentions: Spider-man 2,Iron Man,X-men and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

There's more to BvS with its UE and why many consider it a masterpiece.
I consider a bunch of CBM masterpieces, that doesn't necessarily make then influential.

Superman: The Movie (1978)
Batman (1989)
X-Men (2000)
Spider-Man (2002)
Batman Begins (2005)
The Dark Knight (2008)
The Avengers (2012)

I'd also add Endgame. The highest grossing movie of all time which happens to be a CBM.

Endgame is the culmination of an extremely successful franchise that started years ago. But in what way is the movie itself influential? Maybe you mean of historical importance?

I think we all have our different definitions of what is influential and important to the genre. Comic book movies going from Superman and sporadic popularity for almost 20 years to becoming the new box office juggernauts? And then having A CBM rise to surpass even regular movies, which has never happened? That's enough for me. YMMV. Someday a movie will come along and surpass Endgame, but it doesn't remove the fact that it was once #1.

When we're talking about influence I think of tone, style, themes, structure etc. Things that help shape the genre and are apparent in later entries, whether within, or even in some cases outside superhero films. Endgame might have been a milestone in terms of success but I see nothing of influence to other movies so far.

1. Superman: The Movie...the template.
2. Batman...established artistry in CBMs
3. X-Men...first modern superhero movie.
4. Batman Begins...more than the Dark Knight, this set the tone of gritty realism for superhero movies
5. Avengers...made a viable, working cinematic universe a reality.

When we're talking about influence I think of tone, style, themes, structure etc. Things that help shape the genre and are apparent in later entries, whether within, or even in some cases outside superhero films. Endgame might have been a milestone in terms of success but I see nothing of influence to other movies so far.

This.

Movies like Joker and Endgame came out last year. We have no idea how influential those films are yet, if they're influential at all.

It's not like STM, B89, or Avengers where those films had a clear, tangible influence on other CBMs.

The problem with these types of threads is that people conflate words like "influential" with "popular" or, in the worst case, "What I like".

In other words, which superhero movies did the people who now make superhero movies watch and inspire them to make their own superhero movies?

Superman The Movie- The Godfather of them all.
Batman 89- It took what Superman did but made it darker and better.
The Crow- Set the precedent for gritty, graphic novel to movie adaptations and still isn’t heralded enough.
Blade- Showed that darker, lesser known heroes could be bankable and brought back credibility for the modern CBM.
X-Men- Established the first superhero team movie way before Avengers.
The Dark Knight Trilogy- Showed that CBM could be taken seriously and appreciated.
The Avengers- The first of its kind to establish a complete continuity between films to feel like a living, breathing comic book.

That’s about it to me.

In other words, which superhero movies did the people who now make superhero movies watch and inspire them to make their own superhero movies?
It can happen outside the genre as well. Superman: The Movie helped shape blockbuster movies in general and changed the perception that respected actors can't play in commercial films. Batman Begins has been the point of reference for successful origin stories and at the same time it kickstarted this whole reboot madness that has been going on for the last 15 years. The Dark Knight's style and approach was the whole foundation for Skyfall's very existence, as admitted by Mendes himself. The cinematic universe mania that the MCU introduced was attempted in franchises outside comic book films as well, with examples like Legendary's MonsterVerse and Universal's Classic Monsters movies, albeit without much of a success.

Also influence can work in a subconscious way too. A director/writer doesn't necessarily always know that his inspirations might stem from a specific movie, especially if those said attributes are not so prominent.

If any Batman movie took what Superman:The Movie did and made it darker and better, it was Batman Begins, not B89.

The only things B89 did better than STM were marketing, and having the villain outshine the title character.

I’d argue Guardians could be listed given how much it influenced several superhero movies that came afterward. Certainly a better case for that then Joker, BvS, or even End Game IMO.

I’d argue Guardians could be listed given how much it influenced several superhero movies that came afterward. Certainly a better case for that then Joker, BvS, or even End Game IMO.
This is true. In fact, I'd say that it's the second most influential MCU film after The Avengers, even within the MCU itself. The MCU always had mainstream songs (mainly through Tony Stark's love of AC/DC) but after GOTG they really stepped their game up infusing popular music into the DNA of the films once they gauged that audiences really enjoyed that aspect. "Immigrant Song" was used to perfection in Ragnarok.

Both Begins and TDK are very influential. They have influenced both superhero movies and movies outside the genre. Their reach is that far. I believe some TV shows have also been influenced by TDK.

Donner's Superman for starting the genre, and setting a standard and template for superhero movies. Batman '89 for making darker CBM's acceptable, and taking Batman out of the campy image of the 60's TV show.

The Avengers for showing how a shared universe can work so well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"