Live-Action Movies vs. 1994 Animated Series

TMC1982

Sidekick
Reaction score
Head to head, which interpretation was better:
*Spider-Man/Peter Parker (Tobey Maguire vs. Christopher Daniel Barnes)

*Mary Jane Watson (Kirsten Dunst vs. Sara Ballantine)

*Harry Osborn (James Franco vs. Gary Imhoff)

*Aunt May Parker (Rosemary Harris vs. Linda Gary) - I know that Julie Bennett took over as the voice of Aunt May after Linda Gary passed away from brain cancer, but I'm going with Gary because she performed the voice much longer.

*J. Jonah Jameson (J.K. Simmons vs. Edward Asner)

*Uncle Ben Parker (Cliff Robertson vs. Brian Keith)

*Joe "Robbie" Robertson (Bill Nunn vs. Rodney Saulsberry)

*Gwen Stacy (Bryce Dallas Howard vs. Mary Kay Bergman) - I'm aware that the animated version of Gwen appeared in an "alternate universe" (since the producers weren't comfortable with regularly using a long dead character from the comics) in the last episode.

*Flash Thompson (Joe Manganiello vs. Patrick Labyorteaux)

*John Jameson (Daniel Gillies vs. Michael Horton)

*Green Goblin/Norman Osborn (Willem Dafoe vs. Neil Ross)

*Dr. Octopus/Otto Octavius (Alfred Molina vs. Efrem Zimbalist, Jr.)

*Venom/Eddie Brock (Topher Grace vs. Hank Azaria)

*Lizard/Dr. Curt Connors (Dylan Baker vs. Joseph Campanella)

I'll also in the near future offer a compare and contrast involving The Spectacular Spider-Man.

I have to say, I like most of the movie versions better. I felt they were more creative and real. Yes, all of them have their perks and lows, but it's new age-movies vs. 90's cartoon.

I always thought MJ sounded very annoying in the show as well.

I'd like to compare the two, both are amazing. But it has been quite a while since I have seen the Animated series.....so until I do I can't really choose. Although i'm pretty sure I would like the movies more....

Movies. Period. The series was overly "kiddie-fied" and that made for a serious lack of staying power for me. I enjoyed it at the time but that was largely because I had no other Spider-Man related things to watch, whereas I had Batman up the wazoo. But I find many episodes of the old Spidey series-particularly toward the end-just unwatchable.

:eek:

lol. Oh well. Not everyone loves the same thing.

But every way? There wasn't one good thing? Ever? :D

I wouldn't go that far. But again, the last few shows were just-ugh. The forgotten warriors arc I could have done without. Spidey not being allowed to punch enemies was getting old. There were things they did that conflicted with the format of the show. Why have Punisher if he can't shoot? Morbius if he can't bite? Blade if he can't use a blade? Carnage if he can't...be Carnage? It was just stupid, and a waste of time to bring these characters in. Then the finale; first off, they went into the Clone Saga, arguably the most hated storyline in Spidey's history. Which they knew, having seen the backlash from it. Then to make it an hour-long toy commercial? Really? The Spider-Men of different universes was just too much. Bring Spidey out into the real world so he could meet Stan? What was the point of that? We don't even get to see him reunited with MJ?
Why compare the two Gwens? Gwen was a rather insignificant part of the movies and she had even less impact (and her presence made no sense) in the series finale.
But I will say this; it was still better than "Unlimited".

This is a pretty even mix for me. I preferred Doc Connors, Harry, and Doc Ock in the movies by far, even though I liked them in the show. The actors were just fantastic!

But then I look at characters like MJ and Pete and find myself very happy about the reboot. It'd be cool if they'd bring Molina back for Ock like M or Q have stuck around in Bond, or Alfred in the 80's and 90's Batman films. He was just so awesomely iconic in the role.

Doubt it'll happen though!

Christopher Daniel Barnes as Peter is the voice of Spider-Man for me. That's all I can really say at the moment.

The Spectacular Spider-Man animated series trumps both as far as I'm concerned. And Chris Wallace is right, the 90's series hasn't aged well at all and remains unwatchable.

*Spider-Man/Peter Parker (Tobey Maguire vs. Christopher Daniel Barnes)
I can't compare live action performance to just voice acting, but in comparing the voices of both Chris has a better Spidey voice than Tobey does, Tobey sounds great as Spidey

*Mary Jane Watson (Kirsten Dunst vs. Sara Ballantine)
Kirsten sounds much better

*Harry Osborn (James Franco vs. Gary Imhoff)
James Franco sounds great, Gary Imhoff sounds better

*Aunt May Parker (Rosemary Harris vs. Linda Gary) - I know that Julie Bennett took over as the voice of Aunt May after Linda Gary passed away from brain cancer, but I'm going with Gary because she performed the voice much longer.
Linda Gary, in the 90s cartoon she sounded better than she did in the 80s cartoon

*J. Jonah Jameson (J.K. Simmons vs. Edward Asner)
Personality wise J.K is a comedy character, I love both versions as much
Voices? A tie

*Uncle Ben Parker (Cliff Robertson vs. Brian Keith)
Cliff Robertson

*Joe "Robbie" Robertson (Bill Nunn vs. Rodney Saulsberry)
Bill Nunn

*Flash Thompson (Joe Manganiello vs. Patrick Labyorteaux)
Patrick Labyorteaux

*John Jameson (Daniel Gillies vs. Michael Horton)
Rick Jones FTW

*Green Goblin/Norman Osborn (Willem Dafoe vs. Neil Ross)

*Dr. Octopus/Otto Octavius (Alfred Molina vs. Efrem Zimbalist, Jr.)
Alfred Molina

*Venom/Eddie Brock (Topher Grace vs. Hank Azaria)
Dunno? Love them both

*Lizard/Dr. Curt Connors (Dylan Baker vs. Joseph Campanella)
Not sure

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannnnman
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"