Living In Parents Basement.

I'm saving money for a house and should have my own all payed in a couple of years. I have to save at a much slower rate, but hey.

I'm in my mid thirties and am still in the same bedroom that I had as a ten year old. I do have a girlfriend and she doesnt mind my living arrangement. It just means that we have to be creative about private time.

That woman sounds like a keeper. Not into caring what anyone thinks.

Trust me, she is a "zero f's were given" kind of girl.

I'm in my mid-30s and I'm with at my mum's for at least the next month having moved out of a rented house at the end of January and whilst I wait for my apartment to be finished being built (March 20th is the date I have been given)

My first year just passed since I got my apartment. It was definitely the right move. I'm 27 now and it's taught me responsibility mostly. I also love answering to no one.
So when people come knocking on your door, you don't answer? :o :hehe:

Good thread; I read the first couple of pages. I'm 28, still living with my parents and will graduate at the end of this summer (engineering). I also pretty much have a job already and I'm definitely staying at my folks for a couple more years while building my career. Still single, though...

You spend years trying to finish the house too.

I still have a laundry list of things I want to do with my house.

This thread makes me feel so much better about just turning 31 and living with my parents. I hadda move back in with em about 2 years ago. It sucks but eh, whatever. It's 2015 and I'm in my 30's now. To actually care what people think about your living situation in this day and age is just kinda goofy to me. Also, I have no problems with the ladies either.

I will say this though, I miss living alone so incredibly much. Like, so much.

I've been staying with my parents for the last 2 months during my internship period. I've already secured a full time job after I graduate so I will be moving into an apartment in the fall. School starts up again next week so it will be back to dorm life pretty soon (which I am thankful for)

I admit I still think it's a little worrying when a guy lives in his parents' basement past 30. I would never date a guy that was 28 or over and living at home. It makes me feel like there's a lack of maturity. Living on your own is one of the best ways in life to learn. Learn how to fend for yourself and become an adult with adult responsibilities. I moved out at 22 and I've never been back and my relationship with my parents is fantastic.

I feel like someone living at home in their 30s is a big red flag. Like something is holding them back in life.

Question to the people living at home: do you pay rent? If not, do you buy groceries or help around the house?

I don't pay rent. All the money I've earned from my internship will go towards an apartment and furniture. I think you can still be responsible and live at home. I'm Indian and in a lot of Eastern cultures it's normal to live at home with your parents when you're a full grown adult. All of my cousins still live at home and they're in their late 20s/early 30s. I actually feel bad for my friends who were kicked out of their houses when they turned 18.

Nothing wrong with living with parents. Especially in this economy. It all boils down to whether or not it works for you (and your family). Are their benefits to living alone? Absolutely. But it's not a luxury everyone can afford, and it's not something that works for everyone.

How did we get this "basement" cliche? I'm certain upwards of 99% of adults living with their parents are actually just staying in a room.

How did we get this "basement" cliche? I'm certain upwards of 99% of adults living with their parents are actually just staying in a room.

Either way, I just don't think it's healthy for someone to live with their parents past a certain age. Unless their parents treat them like a roommate (paying rent/bills, cleaning, buying food, doing the laundry, etc) then I think it stunts a person's emotional growth. At the end of the day, it's the parents' house and their rules and I think that mature adults would want to call their own shots.

I admit I still think it's a little worrying when a guy lives in his parents' basement past 30. I would never date a guy that was 28 or over and living at home. It makes me feel like there's a lack of maturity. Living on your own is one of the best ways in life to learn. Learn how to fend for yourself and become an adult with adult responsibilities. I moved out at 22 and I've never been back and my relationship with my parents is fantastic.

I feel like someone living at home in their 30s is a big red flag. Like something is holding them back in life.

Question to the people living at home: do you pay rent? If not, do you buy groceries or help around the house?
It depends on the why for me. If it's strictly for monetary reasons and not because the guy is emotionally stunted and needs Mom to cook and clean after him every day, I think that's normal and even the more financially responsible decision, depending on his plans.

My husband, when he lived/worked in San Francisco at a hot startup for about a year (we weren't married yet), lived with his parents because it did not make sense for him to spend $1500+ a month on an apartment he would only sleep in. That literally does not make sense to me, why someone would turn down free rent in the name of "appearing" more like an adult.

I know him, he would much prefer living on his own. Did his own laundry, his own cooking. He has never needed anyone else to take care of him, not even me. So someone saying that he's emotionally stunted just because he wants to save some (serious) cash....that's their issue, not his.

There's never any hard and fast rules with these things.

I've been off at school for the past several years apart from my parents, but they live in the biggest city in the state with a lot of jobs. So once I graduate I'm probably going to move in with them and just horde cash. Living rent free, are you kidding? People can look at my weird all they want, I get along with my family very well and my girlfriend could not care less. I'm young enough to where it's probably acceptable and it'll just be a temporary thing, maybe for a year at the most, since I'm planning on moving to Nashville once I save up enough money.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"