• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Location scouting - where would be some cool places for the movie to take place

Silvermoth

Krakoan native
Reaction score
Obviously Hong Kong is a must but they’ll have to find places that haven’t been filmed a million times before. I really like the areas around Mui Wo

Chengdu would be fun too. It’s cosmpolitan but that as well known as shanghai so there’s a good chance for seeing something new. Plus maybe they could show pandas!

Zhangjiajie-Travel-Guide.jpg

77f6d87e66e44a74b4248f53_cp_cut_760x400.jpg

depositphotos_21024861-stock-photo-hunan-fenghuang-countychina.jpg

Fenghuang-Phoenix-town-article.jpg

Phoenix Ancient Town, Fenghuang, Zhangjiajie, Hunan

These locations look great.

As a homage to the real version of Game of Death which is incomplete, they could set the finale on several levels of a pagoda. On each level, Shang Chi has to fight a different opponent with different martial arts skills. That would be a way to get in a number of villains and also showcase different fighting styles.

And it would also give us an idea of how the real Game of Death could've been.

I don’t think many people have filmed at golden bauhinia square yet, that might be fun and it’s right in the middle of Hong Kong

I wouldn't mind if the final fight were outside in one of these plains like they often are in really classic Kung Fu films. Some of the best ones are set outdoors.

Or it doesn't have to be the final fight, but at least one of the major fights.

They should also use some of these locations as potential action sequences/ stunts like Jackie Chan has made use of various locations in his films. You get far more death-defying stunt work than in say, a Bruce Lee film.

5087668-6281423-image-a-16_1539691192649.jpg

uploads%252Fcard%252Fimage%252F615283%252Fb3ad1ee0-81bf-4d22-9fc9-f5635014c081.jpg%252F950x534__filters%253Aquality%252890%2529.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

1200px-ZhangjiajieGlassByHighestBridges.jpg

Imagine a big martial arts spectacle taking place on one of those glass bridges or walkways in the mountains of China? There's apparently one that had "fake" cracking effects. Well, how about in the film it's not fake? Shang faces off against opponents as the glass flooring gives way unpredictably?

One place that comes to mind is Singapore. Then the thought occurs to me: they'll also have the right to use Madripoor in the movie.

Yeah madripoor would be cool and so would Singapore. Maybe they could go to Sentosa island, lovely.

That glass bridge is perfect for a fight scene with each combatant skitteling under and then above in turns trying to get the drop on each other.

The Habin Ice Festival would also be super epic

One place that comes to mind is Singapore. Then the thought occurs to me: they'll also have the right to use Madripoor in the movie.

Getting Madripoor into the MCU would be so cool. Forgetting even the connection to Wolverine, it's a place where the criminal element can run free, where even agencies like SHIELD think twice about entering. That holds a lot of potential for stories. And in terms of this film it would actually be an ideal setting and an explanation for Shang Chi and his father's background.

Yuanyang Rice Terraces

Would make for a really cool exterior location.

The Zhangye National Geopark

And we need a training montage here

Chongqing would be a very strong contender imo because it has a bit of everything

There is the historic Ciqikou the oldtown part of the city.

The great new engineering projects like this train that travels through a skyscraper. There just has to be a fight scene either in or on that train.

The new Raffles City Chongqing, a suite of eight new buildings with a 300m skybridge connecting four of the skyscrapers set to be completed mid 2019.

Chongqing even have simple things like pedestrian walkways that would make for great locations.
2xjlkg.jpg

Few really cool ones if they are not opposed to filming outside China a new personal favorite of mine would be The Golden Bridge, Da Nang Vietnam

I mean tell me this just doesn't look like a location where you fight the final boss lol?

I know nothing about the character so don't know if this would conflict with his origin of where he comes from but they should have him in Kowloon as a kid before it got destroyed in 1993.

Even as just one set I would love to see them try and recreate the claustrophobic, chaotic and overcrowded nature of the Walled City.

To give you all an idea of how densely populated it was at its peak the city contained 50,000 residents within its (6.4-acre) borders.

Just heard an unsubstantiated report on a morning show here in Australia that Shang Chi might film here in Australia due to a generous tax cut. Might be incorrect because let’s be honest, Australians love making everything about themselves but if it’s true I can guarantee they’ll film in Chinatown in Sydney

Just heard an unsubstantiated report on a morning show here in Australia that Shang Chi might film here in Australia due to a generous tax cut. Might be incorrect because let’s be honest, Australians love making everything about themselves but if it’s true I can guarantee they’ll film in Chinatown in Sydney

I wouldn't doubt it. But I'm also pretty sure they'll do some kind of location shooting in China and other South East Asian countries. Look at how they shoe horned in Chinese actors into IM3 or the trip to S. Korea in AoU. Those weren't story based they were pandering to the Asian market.

Now with Shang Chi they have their first Asian super hero film. They'll likely do some kind of location shooting for some "authenticity" as well as to get more moolah from the Asian markets.

I wouldn't doubt it. But I'm also pretty sure they'll do some kind of location shooting in China and other South East Asian countries. Look at how they shoe horned in Chinese actors into IM3 or the trip to S. Korea in AoU. Those weren't story based they were pandering to the Asian market.

Now with Shang Chi they have their first Asian super hero film. They'll likely do some kind of location shooting for some "authenticity" as well as to get more moolah from the Asian markets.

Yeah that’s what they do with The Wolverine. It was filmed in Australia but with some location shots in Japan

I know it’s not in Asia but I would love to see a scene or two with Shang going on a rebellious holiday from his old man to Australia. Australia has heaps of travellers and students from China especially from priveleged backgrounds and I can totally see him glamping in places like Wilson’s prom.

Plus Melbourne is always getting credit for helping for the CGI on marvel films but we haven’t had a scene we can point at and say “they filmed this here” yet so Wilson’s prom would be perfect

If he does visit Australia, I will be forced to make far, far too many "Australian Ninja" jokes.

( Anybody whose played Champions 4e knows what I'm talking about. :p )

I‘m so hyped for the Shang Chi movie right now, after seeing these locations :applaud

If he does visit Australia, I will be forced to make far, far too many "Australian Ninja" jokes.

( Anybody whose played Champions 4e knows what I'm talking about. :p )

Or like the far superior shows Gladiators

I‘m so hyped for the Shang Chi movie right now, after seeing these locations :applaud

Same! There’s some great ideas here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"