• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

World Lois and Clark pilot

Catman

Avenger
Reaction score
I was just thinking about this...with a few changes and more action beats, the Lois and Clark pilot would have been the perfect re-launch film for the movie franchise back in the early `90s.

What do you think? And, if you're not sure here's the pilot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4MgDPj_ANQ

Some aspects of Lois and Clark were okay for me...but not many. It was too much like a tame version of Moonlighting where Superman would show up every once in a while. And the suit pissed me off something fierce. Otherwise, Dean Cain was okay as Kent. Teri Hatcher still holds the title of the most annoying Lois for me (especially when she cried out for Superman to help...nails on a chalkboard). I did like the two guys that played Jimmy Olsen, though. Landes and Whalin were both pretty good in the role and each brought something different to the table. Overall, this wasn't the Superman series I would've put forth...but then again, neither is Smallville (even if it hasn't been pissing me off too much lately).

Great minds think alike. :D

Some aspects of Lois and Clark were okay for me...but not many. It was too much like a tame version of Moonlighting where Superman would show up every once in a while.

Are you talking about the pilot or the show in general?

The pilot, in my opinion, is one of the best Superman adaptations. Its only flaw is that it lacks action and it needs more Superman.

Honestly, I love the show! I think people hate it cause they don't realize the show is called Lois & Clark and not Superman.

And the suit pissed me off something fierce.

It was a work in progress for a while.

Otherwise, Dean Cain was okay as Kent.

He was a bad Superman, but he is still the best Clark Kent.

Teri Hatcher still holds the title of the most annoying Lois for me (especially when she cried out for Superman to help...nails on a chalkboard).

Hatcher is the hottest Lois Lane. You don't have to listen to her. Just stare at her!

I did like the two guys that played Jimmy Olsen, though. Landes and Whalin were both pretty good in the role and each brought something different to the table.

Michael Landes is the best Jimmy Olson EVER!

Overall, this wasn't the Superman series I would've put forth...but then again, neither is Smallville (even if it hasn't been pissing me off too much lately).

Maybe cause neither are Superman shows. Lois & Clark is about them and Smallville is about Clark growing up.

I was just thinking about this...with a few changes and more action beats, the Lois and Clark pilot would have been the perfect re-launch film for the movie franchise back in the early `90s.

What do you think? And, if you're not sure here's the pilot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4MgDPj_ANQ

Very astute, monsieur Catman. I wouldn't take the actual filmed footage, but certainly the script, the production design and Teri Hatcher would be ideal.

I wouldn't take the actual filmed footage, but certainly the script, the production design and Teri Hatcher would be ideal.

Thats what I meant. I didn't mean that they should have gotten the pilot and released it in theaters. I meant that the script was great. All it needed was more action and more Superman.

It didn't need much more action imo. The writing was so good that the launch of the shuttle was quite a climax. They let you see how he decides to becoome Superman, using his powers sparingly as Clark... Then at the end only one man can save the launch. SUPERMAN. :up:

Awesome simply awesome.

Well, that TV pilot isn't so good for cinema, it's actually too minimalistic. It was released during a time when series weren't nearly as good as mediocre movies.

It didn't need much more action imo. The writing was so good that the launch of the shuttle was quite a climax. They let you see how he decides to becoome Superman, using his powers sparingly as Clark... Then at the end only one man can save the launch. SUPERMAN. :up:

Awesome simply awesome.

Good in theory, but kids go to see Superman movies. They need to see something happen. Maybe the scenes where Clark uses his powers could have been a bit more exciting. Or they could have added more scenes.

Well, that TV pilot isn't so good for cinema, it's actually too minimalistic. It was released during a time when series weren't nearly as good as mediocre movies.

The screenplay was awesome. Thats what we're talking about.

Good in theory, but kids go to see Superman movies. They need to see something happen. Maybe the scenes where Clark uses his powers could have been a bit more exciting. Or they could have added more scenes.

The screenplay was awesome. Thats what we're talking about.

Weirdly enough, I'm re-editing the pilot with some footage from other episodes to make it into a 2-hour ish movie, which I'm calling, 'The Man of Steel', based as it is on the Byrne revamp. I'll stick my new intro on YouTube because I love you crazy, insane guys.

Weirdly enough, I'm re-editing the pilot with some footage from other episodes to make it into a 2-hour ish movie, which I'm calling, 'The Man of Steel', based as it is on the Byrne revamp. I'll stick my new intro on YouTube because I love you crazy, insane guys.

Well, remember that Superman's costume was a work in progress for a few episodes and that Clark had a mullet in the pilot and lost it in other episodes. So, try to maintain good continuity.

Well, remember that Superman's costume was a work in progress for a few episodes and that Clark had a mullet in the pilot and lost it in other episodes. So, try to maintain good continuity.

Yes Mr. Producer. ;) Don't worry, I'm all over that.

DUDE. More psuedo producing :D There are a few small scenes that originally aired for the pilot that were later taken out even for the DVD version. Find them. Put them in!

Anyways let me know when you complete this. I'll check out your youtube link.

P.S. also edit in some of the episode called "The Foundling" which has Clark learning more of his kryptonian heritage through a globe made by kryptonian technology.

If you need ideas for plot elements to add in from different episodes just PM me :up:

Can't wait :up:

DUDE. More psuedo producing :D There are a few small scenes that originally aired for the pilot that were later taken out even for the DVD version. Find them. Put them in!

Anyways let me know when you complete this. I'll check out your youtube link.

P.S. also edit in some of the episode called "The Foundling" which has Clark learning more of his kryptonian heritage through a globe made by kryptonian technology.

If you need ideas for plot elements to add in from different episodes just PM me :up:

Can't wait :up:

Dude, truly, great minds think alike. That was actually the very first thing I did...I'm uploading the first few minutes as we speak.

Here it is...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDTaSWwSnx4

Are you talking about the pilot or the show in general?

The pilot, in my opinion, is one of the best Superman adaptations. Its only flaw is that it lacks action and it needs more Superman.

Honestly, I love the show! I think people hate it cause they don't realize the show is called Lois & Clark and not Superman.

It was a work in progress for a while.

He was a bad Superman, but he is still the best Clark Kent.

Hatcher is the hottest Lois Lane. You don't have to listen to her. Just stare at her!

Michael Landes is the best Jimmy Olson EVER!

Maybe cause neither are Superman shows. Lois & Clark is about them and Smallville is about Clark growing up.
The pilot and the show. I have yet to see a televised adaption of Superman in live-action that pleases me completely. The pilot wasn't bad. It wasn't good, either, for my tastes. It had certain things that went in the right direction for me, but I can't stand Teri Hatcher's Lois (except for the fact that she's smokin' hot) and Lane Smith's (RIP) version of Perry was irritating as hell. I also thought the Daily Planet was just way too low-key for one of the biggest newspapers in Metropolis (and yes, I do realize that it was on TV). I knew full well what it was called, however, if they didn't want to do an adaption of Superman that was actually Superman-centric, then use another character to do it with.

Cain's Kent was okay for me, but distinguishing between the characters is fairly easy because I personally found his performances hollow in terms of the differentiation between Clark and Superman (once again, just personal taste). I just felt that Cain played Clark (which wasn't bad) and then he played "Clark with a cape." Yes, I know I'm debating semantics over a guy who uses glasses as his disguise, but I'd at least like to think Kent can't be completely aped as Superman in a New York minute because the performance isn't up to snuff. I prefer Reeve's or Routh's (basically the same thing) by a landslide because they actually make it different in terms of the two Metropolis-based personas.

As for Lois, if I'm going to be watching a show about something Superman, I don't want to actually be annoyed by one of the pivotal characters involved because of what I feel is a $**tty performance, is all (same reason I hope Lana dies before Smallville ends). If either one of them aren't "Superman" shows per se, then they shouldn't have had any mention of anything in Superman's universe. On a side note, I just flashed on a little tidbit that Kevin Sorbo was actually the guy that Cain beat out for the role. I haven't even thought of that since the nineties. Whoa.

Dude, truly, great minds think alike. That was actually the very first thing I did...I'm uploading the first few minutes as we speak.

Here it is...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDTaSWwSnx4

Suggestions.

Lose all the black screen with text add ons. I would start out with the Jor-el moment you have BUT... I have a great episode for you to go next. There is a Tempus episode where Clark and Lois find baby Kal-el. You get scenes with Martha and Jonathan talking about how they can't have a baby, you could use just their audio from those moments dubbed over a scene where they show the spaceship hitting in the field.

http://www.loisandclarkarchive.com/TF/tf.htm

Best live action adaptation of Superman ever.

There's something I'd kindof like to point out if you don't mind. I've noticed that you're a pretty big opponent of Singer an SR for various reasons, including one that relates to this pilot you call "best live action adaptation of Superman ever".

Was there not one scene in the pilot where Clark hides outside Lois's window and listens in on a conversation between Lois and her sister?

I've noticed one complaint you have with SR is that Superman is a stalker, who eavesdrops on Lois while she's at home. Now wouldn't you say it's much more innapropriate to eavesdrop on a woman you just met?

Not that I mind it in either Lois and Clark or SR, it's just something I found kindof funny.

I have an answer to that, Lead Cenobite. In the pilot, Clark, was still adjusting to his powers. Heck, the guy hadn't even flown to outer space yet. Remember the episode with the asteroid? That was the first time he flew into outer space! And, he was all nervous about it and s--t. Clark in the early days of Lois and Clark made mistakes which you'd expect a young Clark Kent/Superman to make. Its alright. In Superman Returns, he should have known better. PLUS, the way Singer shot it was creepy. In the pilot of Lois and Clark its just a wide shot of Clark listening outside Lois' window. In Superman Return, the guy stands in the backyard (which I'm surprised no one saw him) and just eavesdrop like if its not a big deal.

This show had camp value but not much else. Lane Smith's Perry White would have been good if not for the Elvis obsession. Landes did a great job as Jimmy, as did Shea as Luthor. Cain was okay as Clark Kent, but as someone else said, his Superman was basically just Clark with a cape. One of the things that really annoys me about Dean Cain's performance is actually more a fault of John Byrne, who's revamp obviously fueled a lot of this series. And that's the fact that Clark is far too confident, cocky, too much of a go-getter. He's not mild mannered in any sense of that term. Granted, Christopher Reeve's Clark could be over the top at times, but Routh struck a nice balance of being quiet and reserved and a bit bumbling, but more or less basically a wallflower.

But please, do not get me started on Teri Hatcher's incredibly horrid depiction of Lois. Far too daytime soapish. And the villains on the show, with the exception of Luthor, were too ridiculous for words.

Not all villains were bad. Don't forget this show had Bruce Campbell as the head of InterGang at one point.

The Elvis obsession was brilliant. He used stories as metaphors that sometimes went over their heads. LOVED THAT!

Bruce Campbell appeared in 'Lois & Clark'? Gotta watch that show again :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritayo
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"