• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Long Live the King! The Stephen King's movies Thread.

gwynplaine

L'homme qui rit.
Reaction score
Simple, your favorite or least favorite Stephen King's adaptations.
Discuss why? And what else of his work you would like to see done or redone. This is a place to discuss all things King on the big screen.
If there is already a thread like this, please merge. Thank you.
I'll start. In no particular order:

_ The Shining. Different from the book that I also love but a great film nonetheless and one of Kubrick's best.
_ Carrie. Great performances and also one of De Palma's best film. King seems to inspire a lot of great directors to do some of their best work. Which brings us to
_ Dead Zone. A great Cronenberg film and great performance by Christopher Walken.
_ Creepshow. Not a King book but a cool original screenplay written by the master. Also King's best performance as Jordy Verill in the segment "The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verill."
_ Stand by Me. A pretty good film.
_ 1408. Maybe not as great as the other ones I mentioned but still very enjoyable.

_ The Shining. Different from the book that I also love but a great film nonetheless and one of Kubrick's best.
_ Carrie. Great performances and also one of De Palma's best film. King seems to inspire a lot of great directors to do some of their best work. Which brings us to
_ Dead Zone. A great Cronenberg film and great performance by Christopher Walken.
_ Creepshow. Not a King book but a cool original screenplay written by the master. Also King's best performance as Jordy Verill in the segment "The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verill."
_ Stand by Me. A pretty good film.
_ 1408. Maybe not as great as the other ones I mentioned but still very enjoyable.

ok, spoilers for the Dead Zone in this post...

Yeah, The Dead Zone is one of my favourite films, I am quite pissed off that print on the dvd release is so worn down, it needs a good remastering. The colours on on a vhs recording I took from tv about twenty years ago are better than the dvd, but the vhs is a little fuzzy now, so I watch the dvd.
I think it's Chris Walken's best performance, and the best Stephen King adapted movie I have seen.
I have seen all the movies on your list bar Creepshow, they are all classics apart from 1408, which is still pretty damn good.
The only King book I have picked up was TDZ, I only read about 2/3 of it though, I left it down somehere, and never got back to it, but I was not that bothered as the story was faithful and I already knew how it played out. But, of course it is great for getting a lot of background details, particularly on the presedential candidate Martin Sheen plays. We only see a little of that in Johnny's visions, but in the book it goes right back into his early years, childhood iirc.
It is just a very touching movie, first you have all the stuff with his ex-gf, she comes round to make love even though she is married now, as a one time thing, and it's just heartbreaking to see him playing with her kid afterwards(once they have given him the smelling salts, following the drugged up baby bottle, one time deal, no unexpected accidents or nappy rashes are getting in the way of this), and then having to say goodbye and crying, Walken is simply astounding, i'm feeling it a bit recalling his performance there.
Also, the stuff with the kid he tutors, forget about it, I am am welling up with the emotion typing this up, holy moses, when he phones him up after saving his life, and all the kid hears is silence, 'Johnny, is that you?', Johnny being forbidden to contact him.
So, not only does he miss out on marrying his sweetheart and having a family with her, but he loses a surrogate son, because that's what they had, that kind of bond. It wasn't just the fact his dad was freaked out by his powers that brought about the forbidden zone, he was also jealous of his relationship with his kid.
It is actually a frickin depressing story for the main character, who is pretty much a saint(apart from maybe doing the do with a married woman, but i think if god was going to excuse any time for that, it would be that time, 'ok, johnny, I'm going to curse you and f*** you up anyway, so on you go, i won't have the husband walk in on you or anything, and ok, i will let you off for making the baby a valium addict for life) but you are obviously uplifted by the good he does, if King had killed that kid off, no way this would be one of my fav movies, but he knows what he's doing. It's the story of the gift and the curse, and the gift *has* to pay off in big ways, all the way through the story, to offest the depressing loneliness this guy goes through in the film.
And even though he dies at the end, he has a happy ending, he looks happy when he gets that final vision of Martin Sheen blowing his brains out when he picks up Time magazine. You'd think Sheen snr would have taken some advice from his son and learned to spin that incident with the bullet proof baby vest into some kind of positive...'I'm bibbing!'
and the music, forget about it, Micheal Kamen's music is not only emotionally moving, but it's got the eeireness sitting just right in with that too.
I was so glad that he got to do the 1st X-Men movie(his last score) as Singer's regular was tied up in a gig, yes, it is somewhat understated , but it is still very good, and at it's best harks back to this Dead Zone s/track. Thinking of the moment when Logan lowers his claws in the bar, that is so like the DZ s/track.
(Incidentally, there was this crazy but nice guy at my art school who was obsessed with doing oil paintings of me, and when i would visit his studio to pose, he would blast Micheal Kamen soundtracks out of his ghettoblaster while he painted very intensely, lol, a bit like Nick Nolte in Scorsese's life lessons, I guess i was Patricia Arquette, and i did actually wonder if the guy was into me at one point, but no, he was just transfixed by my Modiglianic face!)
Anyway...lol...I kind of feel like wathcing the DZ again now, but god damn, that print needs a remastering. They could get a better print off my frickin vhs if they just removed the fuzziness!
and those opening crdits of the title of the movie, how good is that? Any first time viewer of the dvd would think, man, this print is not so good, and...holy crap, big black triangles are appearing on the screen and eating up the picture, wtf is this jigsaw puzzle doing...oh, ok, it's the name of the movie appearing onscreen.
I even got through that whole rabble without mentioning the fact I always flinch bad when that cop headbutts those protruding open scissors!
Oh, and it is good to see Captain Dallas from Alien in the role of the Cop Captain, cause he is sporting the exact same beard, so I suppose you could do some kind of link up those two movies there if you wanted to. He gets so freaked out by the fact his collegue headbutted some scissors that he changes his name and joins the space race. So, TDZ is a prequel to Alien. i actually spoke about this theory of mine to some guy in a bar who was telling me he used to direct the old Hovis bread adverts, and he said, ach, so it's been done already, fug it, I'll make a prequel or sequel to the other spacey sci-fi one that everyone still talks about then.

Last edited:
ok, spoilers for the Dead Zone in this post...

Yeah, The Dead Zone is one of my favourite films, I am quite pissed off that print on the dvd release is so worn down, it needs a good remastering. The colours on on a vhs recording I took from tv about twenty years ago are better than the dvd, but the vhs is a little fuzzy now, so I watch the dvd.
I think it's Chris Walken's best performance, and the best Stephen King adapted movie I have seen.
I have seen all the movies on your list bar Creepshow, they are all classics apart from 1408, which is still pretty damn good.
The only King book I have picked up was TDZ, I only read about 2/3 of it though, I left it down somehere, and never got back to it, but I was not that bothered as the story was faithful and I already knew how it played out. But, of course it is great for getting a lot of background details, particularly on the presedential candidate Martin Sheen plays. We only see a little of that in Johnny's visions, but in the book it goes right back into his early years, childhood iirc.
It is just a very touching movie, first you have all the stuff with his ex-gf, she comes round to make love even though she is married now, as a one time thing, and it's just heartbreaking to see him playing with her kid afterwards(once they have given him the smelling salts, following the drugged up baby bottle, one time deal, no unexpected accidents or nappy rashes are getting in the way of this), and then having to say goodbye and crying, Walken is simply astounding, i'm feeling it a bit recalling his performance there.
Also, the stuff with the kid he tutors, forget about it, I am am welling up with the emotion typing this up, holy moses, when he phones him up after saving his life, and all the kid hears is silence, 'Johnny, is that you?', Johnny being forbidden to contact him.
So, not only does he miss out on marrying his sweetheart and having a family with her, but he loses a surrogate son, because that's what they had, that kind of bond. It wasn't just the fact his dad was freaked out by his powers that brought about the forbidden zone, he was also jealous of his relationship with his kid.
It is actually a frickin depressing story for the main character, who is pretty much a saint(apart from maybe doing the do with a married woman, but i think if god was going to excuse any time for that, it would be that time, 'ok, johnny, I'm going to curse you and f*** you up anyway, so on you go, i won't have the husband walk in on you or anything, and ok, i will let you off for making the baby a valium addict for life) but you are obviously uplifted by the good he does, if King had killed that kid off, no way this would be one of my fav movies, but he knows what he's doing. It's the story of the gift and the curse, and the gift *has* to pay off in big ways, all the way through the story, to offest the depressing loneliness this guy goes through in the film.
And even though he dies at the end, he has a happy ending, he looks happy when he gets that final vision of Martin Sheen blowing his brains out when he picks up Time magazine. You'd think Sheen snr would have taken some advice from his son and learned to spin that incident with the bullet proof baby vest into some kind of positive...'I'm bibbing!'
and the music, forget about it, Micheal Kamen's music is not only emotionally moving, but it's got the eeireness sitting just right in with that too.
I was so glad that he got to do the 1st X-Men movie(his last score) as Singer's regular was tied up in a gig, yes, it is somewhat understated , but it is still very good, and at it's best harks back to this Dead Zone s/track. Thinking of the moment when Logan lowers his claws in the bar, that is so like the DZ s/track.
(Incidentally, there was this crazy but nice guy at my art school who was obsessed with doing oil paintings of me, and when i would visit his studio to pose, he would blast Micheal Kamen soundtracks out of his ghettoblaster while he painted very intensely, lol, a bit like Nick Nolte in Scorsese's life lessons, I guess i was Patricia Arquette, and i did actually wonder if the guy was into me at one point, but no, he was just transfixed by my Modiglianic face!)
Anyway...lol...I kind of feel like wathcing the DZ again now, but god damn, that print needs a remastering. They could get a better print off my frickin vhs if they just removed the fuzziness!
and those opening crdits of the title of the movie, how good is that? Any first time viewer of the dvd would think, man, this print is not so good, and...holy crap, big black triangles are appearing on the screen and eating up the picture, wtf is this jigsaw puzzle doing...oh, ok, it's the name of the movie appearing onscreen.
I even got through that whole rabble without mentioning the fact I always flinch bad when that cop headbutts those protruding open scissors!
Oh, and it is good to see Captain Dallas from Alien in the role of the Cop Captain, cause he is sporting the exact same beard, so I suppose you could do some kind of link up those two movies there if you wanted to. He gets so freaked out by the fact his collegue headbutted some scissors that he changes his name and joins the space race. So, TDZ is a prequel to Alien. i actually spoke about this theory of mine to some guy in a bar who was telling me he used to direct the old Hovis bread adverts, and he said, ach, so it's been done already, fug it, I'll make a prequel or sequel to the other spacey sci-fi one that everyone still talks about then.
Good post. It makes me want to watch it again too:up:
I love DZ, the snow, the lingering melancholy, the music, everything. And you're right it's probably Walken's best performance.
I also really liked Herbert Lom in it who, at that point, I had only known as Inspector Clouseau's Nemesis in the original Pink Panther movies, and I didn't know he could be capable of such subtle and moving work. I haven't read the book, so I'm not sure how faithful it is but DZ is a great movie and possibly my favorite King adaptation on the big screen as well.

Last edited:
Good post. It makes me want to watch it again too:up:
I love DZ, the snow, the lingering melancholy, the music, everything. And you're right it's probably Walken's best performance.
I also really liked Herbert Lom in it who, at that point, I had only known as Inspector Clouseau's Nemesis in the original Pink Panther movies, and I didn't know he could be capable of such subtle and moving work. I haven't read the book, so I'm not sure how faithful it is but DZ is a great movie and possibly my favorite King adaptation on the big screen as well.

Damn, how could I forget Herbert Lom, tbh, I would have forgotten his name, but he is , man, those scenes with him after he flashes back to losing his mother, damn, it is one helluva emotional film, that's why it's one of my favourites. You really want him to talk on the phone to her as well. You are right, it is one great performance from him, he is basically the guy who holds Johnny together in the beginning.
It has been quite a few years since I watched it, so i forgot those details, but as soon as you mentioned his name, bam, I had to take a break from it though, I had watched it so many times.
It is a shame that Walken did not do *that* many classic lead roles, King of New York, Deer Hunter, Biloxi Blues is a good one, but maybe that's just a supporting role...maybe there are a couple of others i have not seen. He is very good in Communion, I can both take that movie seriously(due to Walken's performance), and laugh my ass of at it as it is so outrageous. If you have not seen it I highly recommend it.

I have never read the Shining, but I always recall a story my sister told me when I was a kid, of when she walked in on her boyfreind reading it and he jumped out of his skin, totally freaked out by whatever he was reading in the book at that moment, lol.

Damn, how could I forget Herbert Lom, tbh, I would have forgotten his name, but he is , man, those scenes with him after he flashes back to losing his mother, damn, it is one helluva emotional film, that's why it's one of my favourites. You really want him to talk on the phone to her as well. You are right, it is one great performance from him, he is basically the guy who holds Johnny together in the beginning.
It has been quite a few years since I watched it, so i forgot those details, but as soon as you mentioned his name, bam, I had to take a break from it though, I had watched it so many times.
It is a shame that Walken did not do *that* many classic lead roles, King of New York, Deer Hunter, Biloxi Blues is a good one, but maybe that's just a supporting role...maybe there are a couple of others i have not seen. He is very good in Communion, I can both take that movie seriously(due to Walken's performance), and laugh my ass of at it as it is so outrageous. If you have not seen it I highly recommend it.

I have never read the Shining, but I always recall a story my sister told me when I was a kid, of when she walked in on her boyfreind reading it and he jumped out of his skin, totally freaked out by whatever he was reading in the book at that moment, lol.
I haven't seen it and I will check it out, thanks.
I agree it's a shame that Walken did not do more classic lead roles. Besides the ones you've mentioned, I also liked him in The Prophecy, but I haven't seen it in a long time so I don't know how it holds up. I remember really enjoying his scenes with a young Viggo Mortenssen (now Cronenberg's new muse:woot:) as the devil.
I also really liked Walken's cameos in Pulp Fiction and specially early on in his career in Annie Hall where he plays Diane Keaton's suicidal brother and has a very funny scene with Allen.
As for The Shining, it's a great scary read indeed. Very different from Kubrick's masterpiece but equally great and enjoyable imo.
Kubrick made it his own, as he always did with the books he chose to adapt for the big screen and I think some of the choices he made worked better for film as it is such a different medium than book.

Misery. I wish they'd chosen someone a little more emotionally raw for James Caan's character, but it still works.

I haven't seen it and I will check it out, thanks.
I agree it's a shame that Walken did not do more classic lead roles. Besides the ones you've mentioned, I also liked him in The Prophecy, but I haven't seen it in a long time so I don't know how it holds up. I remember really enjoying his scenes with a young Viggo Mortenssen (now Cronenberg's new muse:woot:) as the devil.
I also really liked Walken's cameos in Pulp Fiction and specially early on in his career in Annie Hall where he plays Diane Keaton's suicidal brother and has a very funny scene with Allen.

Yeah, i did see 'The Prophecy', a rented video round at my pal's house, but, 'y'know, much drinking was to be had round there, so I do not recall the movie or even if I enjoyed it. We probably talked through it and stuff.
and yeah, all of those cameos roles are fantastic, as well as of course his role in True Romance, 'I haven't killed anyone since 1984." lol
and yeah, it's good that Viggo found a home with Cronenberg, much like DeCaprio with Scorsese, they have that on common eh? score big with a cultural phenomenon, and make sure you don't do a lot of crap after it, find a movie master and grab onto them!

As for The Shining, it's a great scary read indeed. Very different from Kubrick's masterpiece but equally great and enjoyable imo.
Kubrick made it his own, as he always did with the books he chose to adapt for the big screen and I think some of the choices he made worked better for film as it is such a different medium than book.

yeah, i heard that, i also heard that King did not like Kubrick's version.
Y'know, I do know the Shining pretty well, I saw it a lot on tv when i was younger, but, the best time i ever had watching that movie was viewed as if it was a comedy. I was in london with my bandmates, down to do a gig, we had been in a van for 10hrs or something, my bro let us use his flat, he bogged off to his gf's, and the Shining happened to be on just as we got in and settled down.
We all got good and stoned and watched the whole movie as if it were a comedy about a Janitor who was just trying to do his job. The running line between us all was ''e's just trying to dae his joab!" Man, I wish i could re-experience watching the movie through that pov, it was hilarious, but I think it was those exact circumstnaces of feeling knackered, the band spirit, camaraderie, being a little toasted, man, that was a good watch. 'e's just tryin' tae dae his joab!' Aw man, the four of us laughed our asses off that night.

I have that half hour doc that Kubrick's daughter made on set, that was very good indeed, Jack brushing his teeth with great enthusiasm! Pity it was only a half hour long though. That doc was hidden away for along time i recall, I'm pretty sure it was in the mothballs for about twenty years. Kubrick was probably not happy with the shots that had his ass poking out the back of his trousers when he was running around with that dolly cam chasing that kid of the tricycle or something.

Last edited:
Double post

Last edited:
In my mind, the best adaptation of one of King's stories is Christine. Carpenter did justice to the story, and none of it came off hokey as with Pet Semetary or Cujo. Watching Keith Gordon as Arnie going from nerdy kid to psychopath was great character development. The scene I think was a visual masterpiece was Christine on fire, running down that thug, Buddy. Simply brilliant!

I liked Carrie and Firestarter as well. I've always had a thing for the underdog rising up and beating back their tormentors, and these stories were brought to the silver screen, pretty much intact. I think that's why I liked them so much

1408 and The Mist were recent adaptations that I thought did the original stories justice. CGI finally caught up with Kings' visions.

I've noticed that the best films based on his books aren't horror, save for "The Shining". "The Shawshank Redemption", "Stand By Me", and "The Green Mile" are all great.

Misery. I wish they'd chosen someone a little more emotionally raw for James Caan's character, but it still works.
Yeah, it works. But I agree with you, as much as I love James Caan in general, I don't think he was right for the part. I remember reading about Kubrick saying that Nicholson was believable as a writer and that's one of the reasons why he cast him in The Shining. I didn't think Caan was very believable as a writer or like you justly said emotionally raw enough. I also thought that he was maybe a little too old (or at least looked too old) for the part.
As for Kathy Bates, she did a fantastic job but I thought that Annie Wilkes in the book was much more terrifying, not only in her actions but also physically. Bates did the best she could and was perfect, but she was not physically menacing enough imo (King describes her as a strong, tall, heavy set woman with no femininity whatsoever). But I guess that one was a really hard part to cast.
I really like Misery the film, but I still prefer the book and even think that maybe somewhere down the line, even though it's regarded as a kinda classic now, it'd be an interesting one to remake. Sam Rockell could be a great Paul Sheldon, for example.

and yeah, all of those cameos roles are fantastic, as well as of course his role in True Romance, 'I haven't killed anyone since 1984."
True, he was great in TR as well.

yeah, i heard that, i also heard that King did not like Kubrick's version.

Yeah, King went on record saying that he hated Kubrick's version. One of his major grief was that by casting Nicholson, the character would be already perceived as crazy and he wanted someone seemingly more normal to enter the Overlook, just like in the book (He wanted Jon Voight or another actor whose name I forgot). I don't really have a problem with that as I almost consider the film and the book like two different takes on the same story with a slightly different central character at their heart (not too crazy about Shelley Duvall's hysterical portrayal but that's another story and she didn't bother me that much.)
I think King also resented Kubrick more or less for kicking him out of the project in its early stages. I understand King's grief but I think Kubrick did the right thing in order to make the story his and translate it from one medium to another.

We all got good and stoned and watched the whole movie as if it were a comedy about a Janitor who was just trying to do his job. The running line between us all was ''e's just trying to dae his joab!" Man, I wish i could re-experience watching the movie through that pov, it was hilarious, but I think it was those exact circumstnaces of feeling knackered, the band spirit, camaraderie, being a little toasted, man, that was a good watch. 'e's just tryin' tae dae his joab!' Aw man, the four of us laughed our asses off that night.
Haha. Sounds like fun (I've had a few of those kind of "screenings" with my friends too) I saw a funny trailer for The Shining on Youtube, recut as a romantic comedy, but I like your take too:woot:. Also as often in Kubrick's movies there are a lot of dark comedic elements present in The Shining.

I have that half hour doc that Kubrick's daughter made on set, that was very good indeed, Jack brushing his teeth with great enthusiasm! Pity it was only a half hour long though. That doc was hidden away for along time i recall, I'm pretty sure it was in the mothballs for about twenty years. Kubrick was probably not happy with the shots that had his ass poking out the back of his trousers when he was running around with that dolly cam chasing that kid of the tricycle or something.
I love that doc ("Making The Shining). A too short but very rare look at Kubrick working on set. Because it was his daughter Vivian who directed it she was granted a unique access into Kubrick's secretive world.

In my mind, the best adaptation of one of King's stories is Christine. Carpenter did justice to the story, and none of it came off hokey as with Pet Semetary or Cujo. Watching Keith Gordon as Arnie going from nerdy kid to psychopath was great character development. The scene I think was a visual masterpiece was Christine on fire, running down that thug, Buddy. Simply brilliant!

I liked Carrie and Firestarter as well. I've always had a thing for the underdog rising up and beating back their tormentors, and these stories were brought to the silver screen, pretty much intact. I think that's why I liked them so much

1408 and The Mist were recent adaptations that I thought did the original stories justice. CGI finally caught up with Kings' visions.
I forgot Christine. I really liked Christine (that scene where Arnie says:"Show me" and the car rebuilds itself in front of him in the garage is also great.)
Strangely, I never saw or read Cujo as the story didn't really appeal to me, but I might give them a try some day.
Pet Sematary is one of my favorite King books. Truly terrifying and probably impossible to adapt properly on the big screen, that's why I'm not too crazy about the film.
As for Firestarter, I thought the book was much better too. As much as I like Georges C. Scott, I thought he was really miscast in that one.
I liked The Mist too. A good, enjoyable B-Movie, full of good performances:up:.

I've noticed that the best films based on his books aren't horror, save for "The Shining". "The Shawshank Redemption", "Stand By Me", and "The Green Mile" are all great.
Yes they are. Good point, but some of the more supernatural or more horrific ones like The Dead Zone or Carrie are truly great too imo.

The King movie I would probably most like to see remade is The Running Man. Closer to the book with an actor like Jeremy Renner running for his life in a not too distant horrific future.
And no neon wrestlers :woot:(nothing wrong with that, but it has nothing to do with King's The Running Man.)
I would also like to see The Talsiman some day on the big screen or as a Mini series.

Yes they are. Good point, but some of the more supernatural or more horrific ones like The Dead Zone or Carrie are truly great too imo.
I actually forgot about "Carrie". It's been a while since I saw it, but it's also good. I'd also include "Creepshow", because I love the hell out of that movie, even though it wasn't based on a novel.

I actually forgot about "Carrie". It's been a while since I saw it, but it's also good. I'd also include "Creepshow", because I love the hell out of that movie, even though it wasn't based on a novel.
:up:

I actually watched a stephen king film tonight. Apt pupil. I like the novella WAYYYYYYY more, but the film is a great piece of filmmaking too. I wouldn't mind a remake, however...:o
I agree:up:. Even though the film was well done, (Sir Ian McKellen was a great Dussander), I liked the novella way more too and wouldn't mind a remake either.

I agree:up:. Even though the film was well done, (Sir Ian McKellen was a great Dussander), I liked the novella way more too and wouldn't mind a remake either.

:up: :up:

I thought the driving forces of the film were fantastic, and the final confrontation between French and Todd was really well played out (you have no idea what I can do), and the score by john ottman is superb, to say the least.

But they just cut out so much good stuff, not to mention toned down alot of it (cat bake:o )

I'm a huge fan of Stephen King's books and movies. My undisputed favorites are Salems' Lot, Misery, and The Stand.

"You'll enjoy Mr Barlow. And he'll enjoy you". The vampires of the original Salems' Lot movie are still the scariest vampires ever put on film, IMO. The Marsten House was perfect. Just like I pictured it when reading the book. Only mis-fire I think was David Soul as Ben Mears. It's kind of along the lines of James Caan as Paul Sheldon. I don't think he was emotionally raw enough, and not how I envisioned the character when reading the book.

:up: :up:

I thought the driving forces of the film were fantastic, and the final confrontation between French and Todd was really well played out (you have no idea what I can do), and the score by john ottman is superb, to say the least.

But they just cut out so much good stuff, not to mention toned down alot of it (cat bake:o )
Exactly.
They started shooting a version of the book with Nicol Williamson that was never completed due to lack of funds. I would have been interested to see Williamson's take on Dussander.
Anyway, you're right it should be remade in a version closer to the great original King Novella.

While they're at it, they should also remake "Thinner" with today's technology.

I'm a huge fan of Stephen King's books and movies. My undisputed favorites are Salems' Lot, Misery, and The Stand.

"You'll enjoy Mr Barlow. And he'll enjoy you". The vampires of the original Salems' Lot movie are still the scariest vampires ever put on film, IMO. The Marsten House was perfect. Just like I pictured it when reading the book. Only mis-fire I think was David Soul as Ben Mears. It's kind of along the lines of James Caan as Paul Sheldon. I don't think he was emotionally raw enough, and not how I envisioned the character when reading the book.
:up: (I forgot about this one too)
I agree. The vampire kid floating behind the window scared the s$%#t out of me when I was younger. Also it was great that Mr Barlow looked like Max Schrek in Nosferatu and not like the suave Dracula model. I also agree I didn't picture "Hutch" as Ben Mears when I was reading the book:woot:.

Exactly.
They started shooting a version of the book with Nicol Williamson that was never completed due to lack of funds. I would have been interested to see Williamson's take on Dussander.
Anyway, you're right it should be remade in a version closer to the great original King Novella.

While they're at it, they should also remake "Thinner" with today's technology.

I've heard about that, 3/4th's completion, and king himself loved it.

I have never been able to find it.:csad: :up: to remaking Apt pupil though :woot:

I have not read thinner, I saw the movie...meh.

I've heard about that, 3/4th's completion, and king himself loved it.

I have never been able to find it.:csad: :up: to remaking Apt pupil though :woot:

I have not read thinner, I saw the movie...meh.
Cool, I didn't know that. Now I want to see that version even more.
I also hope someone remakes it some day.
As for Thinner, yeah the movie was pretty bad but the book was really good and probably deserves a second chance on the big screen, with better, more up to date effects (no fat suit). (and a better lead actor too.)

Salem's lot is right up there as one of the scariest books I ever read. I don't think I ever saw the movie, though. If I did, I don't remember it.

Salem's lot is right up there as one of the scariest books I ever read. I don't think I ever saw the movie, though. If I did, I don't remember it.

It was originally a tv mini series, I only saw the first two parts iirc, and yeah, as others have said, the vamp kid floating outside the window looked v cool indeed. I would have loved to have seen that when i was a kid, to see if it freaked me out.
But, it was edited down into a shortened movie form iirc, at a guess, so they could show it more regularly on tv and it would fit on one video cassette. I don't know if they released it in theatres or not.

You'd remember the movie if you saw it. It was amazing. James Mason plays Mr Straker, and he's wonderfully creepy. But the real stars are the vampires.

They are so scary. Especially Mr Barlow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"