• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Long Live the King! The Stephen King's movies Thread.

I have yet to read Christine, but I did see the movie a few years back.

John Carpenter tackled that one. I've never seen it, and I'm a huge Carpenter fan. I'll have to check it out once I'm done with the book.

So I just finished reading The Shining. For years I heard this was meant to be his scariest book. I wouldn't even say it's a contender for it. The only scene I found genuinely creepy was when Danny went into room 217.

Good book, and definitely will read it again, but not one of my favorite King books. Though comparing it to the movie, they really miscast Wendy with Shelly Duvall. I prefer the ending to the book. Much more gripping. The movie missed out a lot on Jack's obsession with the Overlook's history, and his recovering alcoholism. Danny was perfectly cast and portrayed, and so was Hallorann. Though their friendship wasn't as close as in the book.
King's scariest book might be Pet Sematary. Not a big fan of the film though, but I think it's a difficult one to pull off on the big screen.

John Carpenter tackled that one. I've never seen it, and I'm a huge Carpenter fan. I'll have to check it out once I'm done with the book.
Good film from what I remember.

I am almost done reading Christine. I have to say it's one of my favorite King books now. Very underrated, and unpopular opinion here but I am enjoying it more than I did The Shining.

I finished Christine. Loved it. Great book. One of King's best for me.

I'm thinking of getting The Dead Zone next. Anyone read that?

Both the book and the film. Have you read Firestarter, The Joker? I remember that was a good one too.

No never read that one. I saw the movie years ago with young Drew Barrymore. Is it long? I tend to go through King's books now like a hot knife through butter. Needful Things was nearly a thousand pages and I finished it in a week. I made myself slow down with The Shining and Christine.

Firestarter is one of King's quicker reads. I loved it.

I wouldn't mind a "Thinner" Remake with Jack Black and "The Running Man" with Sam Rockwell.

Thinner is the one about the fat guy who gets a gypsy curse put on him that makes him get really thin right?

Creepshow-Stephen-King.jpg

Has anyone read one of his recent books called Mr. Mercedes? I'm almost finished it, and it's really great. A cat and mouse thriller type novel. No supernatural elements. Along the lines of Misery. From what I hear it's the first part of a trilogy of novels he's doing.

Stephen King on the movies adapted from his books that he thinks are the best.

What's the best movie ever made from one of your books?

Probably Stand by Me. I thought it was true to the book, and because it had the emotional gradient of the story. It was moving. I think I scared the **** out of Rob Reiner. He showed it to me in the screening room at the Beverly Hills Hotel. I was out there for something else, and he said, "Can I come over and show you this movie?" And you have to remember that the movie was made on a shoestring. It was supposed to be one of those things that opened in six theaters and then maybe disappeared. And instead it went viral. When the movie was over, I hugged him because I was moved to tears, because it was so autobiographical.

But Stand by Me, Shawshank Redemption, Green Mile are all really great ones. Misery is a great film. Delores Claiborne is a really, really good film. Cujo is terrific.

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/features/stephen-king-the-rolling-stone-interview-20141031

Stand By Me is amazing. It captures what it is to be a kid in that period right before becoming a teenager better than most. It's the loss of innocence. Rob Reiner and Frank Darabont get King better than pretty much any other director has.

I don't read King's books but I love enough movies based on his work. I recently watched Nightmares & Dreamscapes and I loved a lot of the stories in that miniseries.
Anyone else enjoy it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"