Malice's Guide to Building a Custom PC

So this is pretty much a dead thread now then right....

7) Video Card
Technical
Video Cards, or Graphics Cards are some of the most heated conversations online. Some of these cards now are so powerful now, they have their own fans built directly onto them to keep them cool. A Graphics Card now has a builtin processor that handles all graphics mathimatical functions, so your computer processor does not have to. Video Cards also, have onboard memory on them as well. This memory that is built on the card, assists in the card processing the graphics as fast as possible, thus alleviating the computer processor and RAM for other tasks, non-graphics related. There are a few companies that make the cards but the big ones are ATI and Matrox. Make sure any card optained has enough RAM to support your use. Thus if you play ALOT of modern games, one with quite a bit of RAM (256MB or even 512MB might be needed). But if you dont play much in the way of games, you might be able to get by with a slightly smaller 64MB card.

Financial
Video Cards have a HUGE variance in cost. Smal ones can cost you $30 to $50 then up to the extremely powerful top of the line cards that can (I kid you not) cost you $500 to $600.

Personal
I have used ATI cards for years. They have a good stability history with me. I say got with a good ATI card that suits your price.

Overall
I would recommend getting yourself a card that falls right around $175 mark. Unless you absolutely need the extra power.

I'm looking to buy a new video card and there are a few links and additions which might be helpful to this section:

Here's a very helpful video card buying article that I found -- link

Here's a link which can be used to compare the different video card strengths and weaknesses -- link Just use the drop down menu to select the different card models you want to compare.

And there is a way to find a video card's size if the manufacturer doesn't have it listed on their site. reference Very useful considering the mammoth size of some cards these days and not everybody has a case that can fit them inside. Please excuse the language on this reference, I found it on another site so if Malice or another mod wants to clean up the language on this reference and delete/revise my link please do so with my blessing. :O

Aside from those items, you should also consider a video card's warranty when going out and making a purchase. A lifetime warranty >>>> a card with only a 1 or 2 year warranty. :yay:

I need to update this in the near future

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"