• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

March 19 'Supermoon' Might Trigger Natural Disasters

"Why is the sky blue?" "Who cares? Get on with your day."

No fights during supermoon! :argh:

Now if you excuse me, I'm going to go watch hockey

JAK®;19893346 said:
Good god, all I'm saying is that I expected it to look bigger and it didn't. And now you're accusing me of being the downfall of human civilisation?

No, not your personally just the line of reasoning you were employing there. Back to topic though, it may not appear noticeably bigger. Its closer, yes, but not marginally so. I am not sure on the actual normal distance compared to tonight, but unless you keep a visual log of it on a night to night basis I doubt many will be able to tell the difference tonight. People hear these type of things are happening, and they expect a huge change. I blame that blasted email that has been circulating for years claiming mars will get the size of the moon on one night a year. Some actually believe that stuff, and then they hear this is happening and they expect the moon to dominate the sky lol. I know you didn't think it would be that big, but I am sure some do. I know one thing, though, it was bright as hell last night.

"Why is the sky blue?" "Who cares? Get on with your day."

Lol, it is questions like that, that make google successful.

You're not getting it are you?

Yeah, I got it. Your implying that the "why" behind the optical illusion is as irrelevant as why the sky is blue. I do not consider the "why" behind anything to be irrelelvant. I may not think about why everything is the way it is, but I don't consider the reason behind something un-important. It was people asking these questions for thousands of years that give you the ability to forget about the "why" and pass it off as unimportant. Had humans not asked why we would still believe the tides are caused by the god of the sea and that the sun circles us and a number of other superstitious and flawed ideas that were holding us back. We wouldn't have the math or any other form of science that allows us to be what we are today or accomplish the things we have.

Last edited:
Yeah, I got it. Your implying that the "why" behind the optical illusion is as irrelevant as why the sky is blue. I do not consider the "why" behind anything to be irrelelvant. I may not think about why everything is the way it is, but I don't consider the reason behind something un-important. It was people asking these questions for thousands of years that give you the ability to forget about the "why" and pass it off as unimportant. Had humans not asked why we would still believe the tides are caused by the god of the sea and that the sun circles us and a number of other superstitious and flawed ideas that were holding us back. We wouldn't have the math or any other form of science that allows us to be what we are today or accomplish the things we have.

And yet, for day to day life, many "why"s don't matter. Like "Why is the sky blue?"

The point is, I expected the moon to look larger, and thought that it had looked bigger before. I was told "the moon didn't actually get larger those other times, it's an optical illusion"

My point is that's interesting, but doesn't address the disappointment I have now, because it still looked bigger those times. If instead he explained "the moon wasn't supposed to look bigger this time" I would've accepted that.

And yet, for day to day life, many "why"s don't matter. Like "Why is the sky blue?"

Ask a 5 year old to tell you why something is the way it is. They won't go into the technical details but they will do their best to tell you why. Kids eat this mundane stuff up. At that age they are like sponges. To them this mundane stuff is like candy. They want to know why everything is the way it is. It's only as we get older that we forget this stuff, and find it boring when really its our boring day to day lives that are mundane.

JAK®;19893527 said:
The point is, I expected the moon to look larger, and thought that it had looked bigger before. I was told "the moon didn't actually get larger those other times, it's an optical illusion"

My point is that's interesting, but doesn't address the disappointment I have now, because it still looked bigger those times. If instead he explained "the moon wasn't supposed to look bigger this time" I would've accepted that.

But it is suppossed to look bigger this time. Maybe not something you yourself notice but some will. Your disappointment was unfounded in a flawed idea you had/ I told you it was an illusion so you would understand that your disappointment was unfounded. I told you a fact so you could see that your preconcieved notion is the reason you were upset. Now that the preconcieved notion is gone you have no reason to be upset. It's called learning.

Last edited:
SF is acting like a stereotypical ignorant American :csad:

Am I? Because if you know me, you'll know that I'm not ignorant. Ask those that know me, they'll tell you that I'm actually quite intelligent. And it's because I was gifted with intelligence that I say this: academia is full of those who wish to show off their "superior" intelligence, by over explaining things that, while good to know and important for the furthering of scientific knowledge, don't really have any bearing on the subject at hand.

Would you like to be at a barbecue with me and have me explain the entire digestive process and my biological need for sustenance, when a "Man, I'm hungry" would suffice?

There's knowing why the sky is blue and not caring, there's not knowing why the sky is blue and not caring, and there's knowing why the sky is blue and letting everyone else know that you know. One is smart, the other is stupid, and the third is being a pompous ass.

Ask a 5 year old to tell you why something is the way it is. They won't go into the technical details but they will do their best to tell you why. Kids eat this mundane stuff up. At that age they are like sponges. To them this mundane stuff is like candy. They want to know why everything is the way it is. It's only as we get older that we forget this stuff, and find it boring when really its our boring day to day lives that are mundane.

And that's why I like children. They're open to everything and have a thirst for knowledge, and unfortunately as they age many will become ignorant and close-minded, but that's not what we're talking about here.

Last edited:
Fair enough. But still, just because you may not need to know it doesn't mean you shouldn't bother knowing it.

This SUPERMOON© is causing a language barrier to develop.

Am I? Because if you know me, you'll know that I'm not ignorant. Ask those that know me, they'll tell you that I'm actually quite intelligent. And it's because I was gifted with intelligence that I say this: academia is full of those who wish to show off their "superior" intelligence, by over explaining things that, while good to know and important for the furthering of scientific knowledge, don't really have any bearing on the subject at hand.

Would you like to be at a barbecue with me and have me explain the entire digestive process and my biological need for sustenance, when a "Man, I'm hungry" would suffice?

There's knowing why the sky is blue and not caring, there's not knowing why the sky is blue and not caring, and there's knowing why the sky is blue and letting everyone else know that you know. One is smart, the other is stupid, and the third is being a pompous ass.

And that's why I like children. They're open to everything and have a thirst for knowledge, and unfortunately as they age many will become ignorant and close-minded, but that's not what we're talking about here.

I am not letting everyone else know that I know. I let one person know who i thought didn't know, and he said it was irrelevant and then you jumped in on the conversation. I didn't know giving a fun fact to one person made me a pompous ass. Notice how I said in my original post "Fun fact of the day." Get it? I was not being a pompous ass there. You were being the pompous ass with the "blu sky" somment. And yes we are talking about how people are ignorant and closed minded or at least I am. That is why I brought up the fact of children being sponges for this stuff, and the fact that people become bored with this stuff as they get older. I think you are on a different page than I am in the conversation which is why I think we need to end this conversation before it escalates. Its not worth getting reprimanded for. I apologize if I come across as a "pompous ass" in my original or subsequent posts. It was not my intention.

Who cares if the sky is blue.

WHY IS SUPERMOON ANGRY???!!!!

Supermoon.jpg

:doom: :doom: :doom:

It's kinda bigger. Maybe a little. Looks more yellow/gold though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"