Marvel to take over STAR WARS comics from Dark Horse in 2015

Specter313

Ghost of all things X
Reaction score
Star Wars comics are heading back "home" to Marvel Comics in 2015, Marvel, Disney, and Lucasfilm announced Friday afternoon.

The news came via a press release, and while not a surprise, still came without the usual fanfare of teasers and pre-release interviews. When Walt Disney Company purchased Lucasfilm, it seemed the writing was on the wall for the Star Wars comic book license to return to Marvel, who published Star Wars comics for nine years in the late 70s and early 80s. That day will come in 2015, as they receive "exclusive rights to create and publish Star Wars comics and graphic novels."

Dark Horse Comics has held the license since 1991, and was praised in the press release for publishing "fan-favorite titles" and "garnering rave reviews."

“Dark Horse Comics published exceptional Star Wars comics for over 20 years, and we will always be grateful for their enormous contributions to the mythos, and the terrific partnership that we had,” said Carol Roeder, director of Lucasfilm franchise publishing, Disney Publishing Worldwide in the press release. “In 2015, the cosmic adventures of Luke, Han, Leia and Chewbacca will make the lightspeed jump back to Marvel, to begin a new age of adventures within the Star Wars universe.”

Dan Buckley, Publisher and President of Marvel Worldwide expressed his excitement for the deal, saying, "Star Wars is one of the most iconic in entertainment history and we are honored to have the opportunity to bring our creative talent pool to continue, and expand Star Wars into galaxies far, far away."

Dark Horse founder Mike Richardson responded to the news immediately, sending out this statement about their time with the license.

"All things come to pass. So too, do all licensed deals. I am sad to report that Disney, the new owner of Lucasfilm, has notified us here at Dark Horse of their intention to move the Star Wars publishing license to another of their recent acquisitions, Marvel Comics, beginning in 2015. This will end a partnership that has lasted more than two decades.

"For those who are new to the industry, Dark Horse revolutionized the treatment of comics based on films. After a history of movie properties being poorly handled with little regard for execution and continuity, Dark Horse took a new approach, carefully choosing licenses and approaching them with excitement and creative energy. Our goal was to create sequels and prequels to the films we loved, paying careful attention to quality and detail, essentially treating those films as though they were our own. Star Wars has been the crown jewel of this approach. We began chasing the title as far back as 1989, and with the launch of Tom Veitch and Cam Kennedy’s Dark Empire, a new era in comics was born. I’m not ashamed to admit that we were Star Wars geeks, and we have been determined to spare neither effort nor expense in the pursuit of excellence.

"It is ironic that this announcement comes at a time when Dark Horse is experiencing its most successful year ever. For obvious reasons, we have prepared for this eventuality by finding new and exciting projects to place on our schedule for 2015 and beyond. Will they take the place of Star Wars? That’s a tall order, but we will do our best to make that happen. In the meantime, 2014 may be our last year at the helm of the Star Wars comics franchise, but we plan to make it a memorable one. We know that fans of the franchise will expect no less. The Force is with us still."

http://www.newsarama.com/19945-star-wars-comics-go-to-marvel-in-2015.html

YAHOOOOOOOOOOO.

Finally two of my favorite franchises reunited. Knew this would happen one day after Disney buying both.
Will no doubt pull Marvel's newest Star Wars title when it's out. Wonder if they'll contain the same decor with the Marvel Now banners?

Hmm I know the old Marvel SW comics have their share of fans but the majority of the stories were lackluster since they were restricted to only the OT at the time, maybe we'll get a meeting between Darth Vader and Doctor Doom.

Well, it was only a matter of time and I'm sure Dark Horse knew it.

I feel kinda bad for Dark Horse though. Star Wars was a big part of their line for such a long time. Another loss for the "little guy"... :(

I'm really enjoying the current SW ongoing from Dark Horse. But, crossing over with Cosmic Marvel characters would be cool...so that means it'll probably never happen.

I do feel bad for Dark Horse's loss.

However, it seems unlikely that SW will cross over into the MU.

On one hand, Dark Horse has treated Star Wars well.

However, I do believe this is karma for Dark Horse taking Angel away from IDW. :jedi

Seriously though, I am a bit nervous wondering what Marvel is going to do with the property. Ignore all that Dark Horse has done and start fresh? Give it to Bendis?

I hope the first issue is #108... :yay:

As long as they let what is happening now continue I am fine with this. The Current Star Wars and Legacy comics are pretty darn good and I'd hate for them to end because of this.

Hoping they'll consider another Indiana Jones comic.

Too bad for Dark Horse, this has to be a big hit for them.

As long as they let what is happening now continue I am fine with this. The Current Star Wars and Legacy comics are pretty darn good and I'd hate for them to end because of this.

I wouldn't count on this at all if I were you. Marvel is going to want to do their own thing and tell their own stories. I'm sure whatever they are going to do, it's going to completely revolve around whatever JJ Abrams is putting together and they'll build stories off it from there.

I have many ideas for stories (non-crossover). I wonder if Marvel editorial is open for pitches? Hmm.

I wonder will Dark Horse still get to publish the stories it created from 1991 - 2014? Might as well. They might be lost into the ether otherwise.

Will the EU continuity stay intact? I'd love to see some more Legacy or post-Legacy stuff.

Dark Horse has told the best Star Wars stories outside of the Original Trilogy in my eyes, really disappointed by this. Better start picking up those trades and back issues before the prices skyrocket!

The old Marvel books from the 70's were pretty cool, so I wouldn't instantly assume that just because it's leaving Dark Horse that there will be a drop off in quality.

The old Marvel books from the 70's were pretty cool, so I wouldn't instantly assume that just because it's leaving Dark Horse that there will be a drop off in quality.

True, but being a huge fan of Expanded Universe to me this isn't good news. I don't see Marvel following what Dark Horse did at all. Marvel has become very hit or miss in the past decade so I will be assuming a poorer quality until I can pick up their first issues myself! :p

I can't wait for the double-shipping 3.99 issues. :dry:

past authors as well as all-new authors should be brought in, as well as artists from past comics and people who haven't drawn Star Wars yet.

I have many ideas for stories (non-crossover). I wonder if Marvel editorial is open for pitches? Hmm.

I wonder will Dark Horse still get to publish the stories it created from 1991 - 2014? Might as well. They might be lost into the ether otherwise.
Nope and Dark Horse (and comic stores) has to get rid of all their inventory of Dark Horse Star Wars material 90 days after the license reverts.

Nope and Dark Horse (and comic stores) has to get rid of all their inventory of Dark Horse Star Wars material 90 days after the license reverts.

Whaaaat? Comics shops too? How can anyone dictate to a privately owned store they can't sell something that they already bought from a distributor?

Yea, that is insane. I mean will not be able to find any Dark Horse stuff ever again?

If I owned a comic shop I would tell them to poop in their hat.

Whaaaat? Comics shops too? How can anyone dictate to a privately owned store they can't sell something that they already bought from a distributor?
Well first of all, they are going to have more than a year to try and get rid of as much inventory as possible. And I'm pretty sure that the shops are going to be properly compensated for the stuff that would have still been in print.

Will the EU continuity stay intact? I'd love to see some more Legacy or post-Legacy stuff.
Disney has hired Leeland Chee to try and organize the new Star Wars continuity. Frankly, I imagine that the more mainstream stuff of the Expanded Universe (like Shadows of the Empire) will be incorporated to the main universe while the more niche stuff (like Legacy) and contradictory elements (like New Jedi Order) will be jettisoned.

Yea, that is insane. I mean will not be able to find any Dark Horse stuff ever again?
Marvel is going to have the publishing rights to the stuff Dark Horse did. That's what happens with licensed properties. It's why we see publishers like IDW publish the older Doctor Who, Transformers, Star Trek, G.I. Joe material even though other companies like Marvel and DC were the ones who made them. Frankly, I would be surprised if Marvel didn't publish the major stuff that Dark Horse did like Dark Empire.

And don't forget about the second hand market. You can always get the older stuff through back issues and comic book stores often have collections that are out of print or used copies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"