• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Marvel Westerns

Hypestyle

Superhero
Reaction score
Marvel should start looking into developing its Western/Cowboy concepts into feature films and TV shows. They could be modestly-budgeted, they don't have to be $200 million, etc. The films can get some name stars or they can get character actors, or a mixture. The films can be traditional Westerns preferably, I'm not sure how another sci-fi Western (i.e., Cowboys & Aliens) would be received. Django Unchained is already doing big business, whereas last year's Jonah Hex didn't, so Westerns aren't dead, if they're well-produced with a compelling concept.

kid colt; two-gun kid; rawhide kid; gunhawk; reno jones; red wolf; (original) ghost rider; various others.. http://marvel.wikia.com/Category:Western_Characters

I've always been a western fan....and I read many of the Marvel western comics when I was a kid....but I've never really thought of any of them as being movie material except for Ghost Rider. That would be interesting to see.

As a kid, I used to love the Marvel Westerns almost as much as the superhero comics; but they definitely belong to a long lost era that will probably never return. This is not to say that Westerns per se are dead in film; just that the comic book version of Westerns belong to the gee-whiz Golden Age of Westerns, which has been considered far too hokey since even the days of Sergio Leone.

Even the names: "Rawhide Kid," "Kid Colt," and "Two-Gun Kid" scream 1950s TV or movie serial Westerns....alas, I don't think there's any demand for that these days.

I love those comics and reprints myself! Could you imagine if they made a movie with all of them, kind of like a "Silverado"

I believe any movie genre could be successful as long as it is good. That is good writing, good acting and good producing.

I love those comics and reprints myself! Could you imagine if they made a movie with all of them, kind of like a "Silverado"

I believe any movie genre could be successful as long as it is good. That is good writing, good acting and good producing.

I loved them as a kid too....but today, it would come off as a parody.

The Two-Gun KID rides up, and says hello to the Rawhide KID. and asks him if he has seen KID Colt who says no, but I was talking yesterday to the Outlaw KID......

Ain't gonna happen. They're gonna stick with what works, and that's sci-fi superhero movies.

real names can be used instead of all the "kid" monikers; John Ostrander's Blaze of Glory can be used as a template..

I loved them as a kid too....but today, it would come off as a parody.

The Two-Gun KID rides up, and says hello to the Rawhide KID. and asks him if he has seen KID Colt who says no, but I was talking yesterday to the Outlaw KID......

Kinda reminds me of the scene in The Naked Gun 2 & 1/2 where they're talking about boxers:

[YT]cEjo0ajod1M[/YT]

What are Marvel's big-name Western heroes? I recognized Jonah Hex back when it came out, mostly due to some of the cartoon versions, and I enjoy the new All-Star Western.

Honestly the only one of those I even have heard of is Ghost Rider, and Ghost Rider the movies have been pretty bad so far...

What are Marvel's big-name Western heroes?
Here are some of them....

The Rawhide Kid
The Two-Gun Kid
Kid Colt
The Outlaw Kid
Red Wolf
Gunhawk
Reno Jones

I recognized Jonah Hex back when it came out, mostly due to some of the cartoon versions, and I enjoy the new All-Star Western.
Jonah Hex is a DC character.

Honestly the only one of those I even have heard of is Ghost Rider, and Ghost Rider the movies have been pretty bad so far...

The GHOST RIDER Marvel western character has absolutely nothing to do with the flaming headed motorcycle riding character that has had two movies made of him. The motorcycle riding character made a deal with the devil and has supernatural powers. The western character is a regular human, he dresses up in a phosphorescent suit to scare outlaws and fights crime.

I suppose there's also Texas twister, though isn't he a mutant?

Marvel should start looking into developing its Western/Cowboy concepts into feature films and TV shows. They could be modestly-budgeted, they don't have to be $200 million, etc. The films can get some name stars or they can get character actors, or a mixture. The films can be traditional Westerns preferably, I'm not sure how another sci-fi Western (i.e., Cowboys & Aliens) would be received. Django Unchained is already doing big business, whereas last year's Jonah Hex didn't, so Westerns aren't dead, if they're well-produced with a compelling concept.

kid colt; two-gun kid; rawhide kid; gunhawk; reno jones; red wolf; (original) ghost rider; various others.. http://marvel.wikia.com/Category:Western_Characters

I'm all for it!

Oh, I knew Jonah Hex was DC, I just meant that was pretty literally the only comic book Western hero I knew of in either of the big two.

Glad to hear there is another Ghost Rider that is not the Flaming Skull Guy from the movies...

Andy Diggle's Marvel Six Guns pretty much read like it was made for a movie.

Six_Guns_Vol_1_1.jpg

Tex Dawson, Black Rider, Tarantula, Matt Slade and the Two-Gun Kid updated for the modern day.

Last edited:
Wow I feel so foolish, I had no idea Marvel had so many western characters like DC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"