Marvels Casting Thread: LOTS of Actors and Actresses Needed!

Yodaman

Legend
Reaction score
Recently I announced the start of pre-production in my new fan film project, Marvels, on the old Star Wars Tales websites. A departure from my past two projects, this stop motion animated film will shift my efforts from the Star Wars saga to the vast universe of Marvel Comics. Also unlike my past film, this is going to be a 5-7 minute faux trailer in the vein of Grayson and World’s Finest and is a direct adaptation of the classic graphic novel by Kurt Busiek and Alex Ross. While I’m only in pre-production, I do have an image to give you guys a taste of what you might see in a couple of years.

Since this is an animated project, I am in a great need for voice acting. There are thirty speaking parts, ranging from young to old, male to female, even human to robot. However, twenty-five of those parts require only a single line, so if you would like to try a bit of acting and get credit for a movie this is a perfect chance for you to knock something out quick. I will provide a line for each character, along with descriptions and a bit of acting direction. Please PM me with an audio sample of your voice saying the line. I will update this thread as parts get cast.

Thanks and good luck!

PHIL SHELDON

This is the main character of the film. The tricky thing about casting this role is that he is shown in two stages in his life: once when he is in his early twenties, and the other in his mid-forties. Since this is such a big leap in age I realize it might be necessary to cast two different actors as Phil, but it might be better to have one actor tackle both character ages. I’ll post lines from both ages, and you can try out for both or either roles.

YOUNG PHIL

At this age, Phil is a young, new, and uninitiated reporter who holds a great enthusiasm for his work but is conflicted about the super humans and costumed vigilantes who have begun to take over his life. This line is narration and I would like it to be read with a sense of confliction in the character’s tone.

Marvels, I called them, and that’s what they were. Next to them, what were we?

OLDER PHIL:

This is Phil in his mid-forties. By now he is much more experienced with the superheroes, yet he is concerned about the world that is changing around him. I kind of have Gary Oldman’s Jim Gordon from Batman Begins and The Dark Knight in my mind, so something like that would work great.

They wanted to clap their hands for Tinkerbell and say “I believe”, yet everywhere the Marvels were being degraded.

GWEN STACY

This is the next major character in the line-up. Gwen Stacy (a character from years and years of Spider-Man comics and played by Bryce Dallas Howard in Spider-Man 3) is a young college girl who features heavily in the life of Spider-Man but is now struggling with the death of her father and confused about her feelings for Spider-Man. I’d like the following line to be read with a bit of sadness and confusion.

I hated him at first… but now … I wonder if there is a face behind that mask.

DORIS JACQUET

Just like the character of Phil, his future wife, Doris, is featured at both a younger and older stage in her life (also early 20’s and mid 40’s). Both lines could be done by the same actress or by two different ones.

YOUNG DORIS

In this line, she has just sprinted to her boyfriend (Phil) and is in a panic about a superhero fight scene she just witness.

I was on my lunch break…

OLDER DORIS

In this line, Doris is about to tell Phil about a big secret their daughters have been hiding, so a hint of fear and nervousness would be great.

I…I think you’d better see this.

The following lines are all characters who only require a single line.

PHINEAS HORTON

This character is an aged scientist. I DO NOT want this character to sound like the atypical cartoony mad scientist. I’d prefer it to be played straightforward, as he is talking to a press crowd.

I will now present to you my creation.

MARTY GOODMAN

This character is a newspaper editor, although I’d like him to be a lot more subdued that, say, a Perry White type (that’s another character). As you can see in the line, the character is surprised in this scene.

Phil… you’ve been begging to go to Europe for months!

IGGY CASH

This guy is a young cub reporter (around 19, 20), so there’s energy and excitement flowing through his voice.

Who cares about the war in Europe? We’ve got our own war right here!

NAMOR

This character is the famed superhero from the Golden Age and sometimes foe, sometimes ally of the Fantastic Four. I’ve always imaged Namor kind of having an alien and exotic voice like Spock’s, except with emotion. As it can be seen in the line, Namor is very angry and ready for revenge.

This is my final warning! Get off my trail, Torch… or suffer the consequences!

YOUNG J. JONAH JAMESON

This is a younger version (early 20’s) of the famed Daily Bugle editor. I’d like it to be similar to the same angry, gruff version seen in every Spider-Man cartoon and movie, except his angry charisma should be toned down quite a bit, as he is younger.

The things these freaks do… I’d like to lock ‘em up and throw away the key!

CLUB MANAGER

This should be played completely straightforward. As the message he is giving is grim, there should be a hit of fear in his voice as he says this.

I’ve been asked to inform you that the Sub-Mariner has launched a military attack on all of civilization.

NEWS REEL NARRATOR

I’d like this to be read exactly like any newsreel narration you would find in World War II America.

Allied aces Namor and The Human Torch once again thwarted a nefarious plot by Axis saboteurs!

YOUNG FEMALE BYSTANDER

As this is a simple line, so nothing is really required other than you be a female. As this bystander is witnessing Captain America leap into action, her voice is full of surprise and excitement.

There he is!

FRED STEINBERG

Just like the above line, nothing required other than you be a male, except this is an older man (late twenties/early thirties). His man Phil Sheldon just took a great picture, so his is being very congratulatory.

A front page for sure. Money in the bank!

BARNEY BUSHKIN

This is another newspaper editor, and unlike the previous one I’d like this one to be more like the stereotypical image of a newspaper editor that you seen in countless films and TV shows, aged and wizened but loud and grumpy. He is elated as he is saying this.

Look at this! We’re the hottest paper in the city!

MR. FANTASTIC

The leader of the famed Marvel super-group. He well spoken and quite nerdy, yet has confidence and spirit and worthy of his name. He is very gleeful in this scene, as he is announcing his wedding. If you want to you can use the recent movies as reference; I loved the way Ioan Gruffudd played the character.

I’m honored and delighted to announce that Susan Storm and I are engaged!

MALE CITIZEN

As the description states- I need a male who can sound angry and shocked. Not much else to say.

They tried to kill a man!

CYCLOPS

The stern and determined leader of the X-Men. He has a harsh demeanor about him in this scene; a bit angry yet slightly detached.

Forget it Bobby. They’re not worth it.

JUDGEMENT MAN

This is going to be one of those “The end is nigh!” guys. I don’t want this line to sound cartoony. He needs to be very assertive and confident, as if he believes absolutely everything he preaches.

There shall be three signs! Three signs and then the apocalypse.

NEWS ANCHOR

I need three people to play three different news anchors. Just speak these in the same detached, emotionless way news anchors on any professional station report the news.

NEWS ANCHOR #1

Playboy Tony Stark has vanished, just days after the indictment…

News Anchor #2

Mr. Stark is planned appear before Senator Byrd’s investigative committee…

NEWS ANCHOR #3

The Avengers were declared a public menace today…

ARTHUR

This is a random neighbor of Phil’s who is involved in a large anti-mutant mob, so speak this line with anger and a dark conviction.

Mutants! In our own neighborhood!

PROFESSOR XAVIER

The educated and powerful mutant mentor of the X-Men. His voice needs to sound pretty agitated, as he is in the heat of a debate. Any voice that conveys the regality and power of Xavier would work, although something akin to Patrick Stewart would work great too.

You must not let ignorance or fear stampede you!

BOLIVAR TRASK

This is a very stubborn and hostile anti-mutant senator. He needs to sound literate and well-read, yet he must be highly emotional and roused-up in this line.

I have created a defense for mankind! The mutants will never take over the human race! Not while my army of Sentinels lives!

SENTINEL

These are the robots built to hunt and kill mutants. They need to sound robotic (duh) and monotone. This is a good example of what I’d like them to sound like. This is for anyone who does droid voices for fan films.

We serve none!

HUSBAND

This is an older man, and in this scene he is in the midst of a very hateful and violent mob. His voice should be filled to the brim with anger and a lust for violence.

Come out and die muties!

GALACTUS

The dreaded planet-eater and enemy of the Fantastic Four. This voice is definitely going to have to be heavily modded by the actor, and will probably be one of the last voices done. I kind of envision him sounding kind of like the Borg from Star Trek, immense and powerful, except the voice really needs to convey the unimaginable size of his might. Possibly something like his cartoon appearance, except maybe not that cartoony.

This planet shall sustain me until it has been drained of all elemental life. SO SPEAKS GALACTUS!

MAGGIE

I really don’t know if anyone here would be able to voice this character, as she is eight years old. But if anyone here is able to do this somehow, she is completely terrified, as she is hiding from the ugly world outside. In this scene she is begging Phil to let her stay with him and his family.

My parents w…went away. Are…are you going to send me away?

MARCIA HARDESTY

This character is a very nerdy and mousy woman in her early thirties. She is a bit meek and shy, although in this scene she is finally letting her frustrations out, as she is not happy with the direction Phil is leading his life.

All the things you’ve done… all this… and it’s like it means nothing to you!

I understand that I won’t be able to cast everyone at once, but I’m just putting all the characters out there to ease the process. As I said earlier, if you’re interested please send me (PM first preferable) an audio file of you reading the line. Thanks and good luck with the auditions!

Last edited:
I'll audition for Cyclops, Iggy, Namor and Phil. I would, however love do to Spider-Man/Peter Parker and Iceman. I think my voice would better suit these two.

I still need a LOT of actors and actresses willing to lend your voices! A lot of these lines don't take much at all, so feel free to give a go. So far the only parts cast are News Anchor #3, Cyclops, Xavier, Horton, and Galactus. Not counting people who haven't sent their lines in yet, here's who I have left:

Young/Older Phil Sheldon
Gwen Stacy
Young/Older Doris
Marty Goodman
Iggy Cash
Namor
Young J. Jonah Jameson
Club Manager
Newsreel Narrator
Young Female Bystander
Fred Steinberg
Barney Bushkin