Mayans MC - Sons of Anarchy Spinoff

Sawyer

Definitely Not 40
Reaction score
With the series order now official, I figured the show deserved a thread of it's own.

Mayans MC is set in a post-Jax Teller world, where EZ Reyes (JD Pardo), fresh out of prison, is a prospect in the Mayan MC charter on the Cali/Mexi border. Now EZ must carve out his new outlaw identity in a town where he once was the golden boy who had the American Dream within his grasp.

Edward James Olmos, Sarah Bolger, Clayton Cardenas, Richard Cabral, Michael Irby, Raoul Trujillo, Antonio Jaramillo and Carla Baratta also star.
DSy_07PUMAAy40U.jpg

Given how often we saw rival clubs cross paths on SOA, I really wonder if we'll see any of the characters left breathing at the end of that show. Chibs, Tig, Happy, etc.

I think those SOA characters appearing are likely.

I share the same sentiment, especially after seeing that pic of JD Pardo. :o

[YT]z7HhvZkh7F4[/YT]

4 things we learned about the Sons of Anarchy spin-off Mayans MC at ATX Festival
FX’s eagerly anticipated Sons of Anarchy spin-off rolled into Austin, Texas, on Friday night for a panel at the ATX Television Festival with creator Kurt Sutter and members of the show’s cast and producing team. Festival-goers got to see a 13-minute sequence from the upcoming crime drama which premieres this fall.

Here are a few things we learned from the panel moderated by EW entertainment editor Sarah Rodman:

— Even though Mayans MC is about a difficult motorcycle club in a different town (the fictional California border town of Santa Padre) and with a Latino membership, the show still feels like it’s set in the Sons of Anarchy universe. The footage introduced the club’s latest recruit Ezekiel “EZ” Reyes (JD Pardo) as he joined the gang on a drug run to Las Vegas that goes spectacularly wrong when the shipment is held up by armed gunmen. The footage also briefly introduced EZ’s father, Felipe Reyes (Edward James Olmos) who Sutter says will represent the patriarch of the show.

— Mayans MC is set three years after the events in Sons of Anarchy, and the final day of Jax Teller (Charlie Hunnam) is discussed in the show. “We talk a little about that final day with Jax and how it changed [the] Northern California [motorcycle club world],” Sutter said.

— Mayans MC isn’t looking to tackle Trump-era immigration policies, but will probably wrestle with them anyway. “It’s not a political show,” Sutter said. “I do not write political shows. I should not write political shows. But the real world always impacted [Sons of Anarchy]. This is not a show that will deal head-on with those issues but it takes place on the border and those things will have to bleed into the storyline.”

— Asked if familiar SoA faces will show up on the new show (besides co-star Emilio Rivera), Sutter played coy with his reply, noting he wants Mayans to stand on its own, but he also notably didn’t deny it and given the show’s timeline it sure would make a lot of sense.

Mayans MC premieres this fall on FX.

Cannot wait for another stroll in SoA world.

[YT]tokSeISW1XQ[/YT]

I like that the main guy doesn't seem to be the prince of the whole organization like Jax was.

Sarah Bolger does exist. :atp:

This doesn't look half bad. I am interested.

I want this to be good, but then I remember SOA's last two seasons and The Bastard Executioner...

The Bastard Executioner wasn't good, but SOA was fine all the way through. My only issue was making every final season episode 90 minutes long.

I stuck with SOA most of the way through, and it was never perfection or anything. But I definitely enjoyed it. But by the time I jumped off, it was a bit of a disaster imo. Just too much stupid.

The Bastard Executioner wasn't good, but SOA was fine all the way through. My only issue was making every final season episode 90 minutes long.
And montages set to Katey Sagal songs at the beginning and end of each episode. :hehe:

[YT]tokSeISW1XQ[/YT]

I like it.

I like that the main guy doesn't seem to be the prince of the whole organization like Jax was.

^ One of the reasons that I like it. Hope he doesn't rank up too fast. He don't need to be VP by season 3 or at any point during the series run.

I enjoyed SOA well enough, but after Bastard my main reason for watching this is Edward James Olmos. Hopefully his accepting the job is a sign that Sutter has returned to form. It's too bad that he seems to have been pigeonholed as the biker guy, but if this is what he's good at maybe it's best for him to stick with it.

So Mayans is the second chapter of a four part saga. That’s awesome and the First Nine mini series will be the third chapter with the fourth and last chapter in the Sons saga maybe will focus on Able and Thomas returning to Charming. Looking forward to Mayans and the rest of the future installments in the saga.

DEADLINE: You’ve said that you see the Sons saga in four chapters, this is the second. Sounds like Marvel superheroes on motorcycles. How much is it hovering in your head, the chapter where John Teller gets out of Vietnam and starts Sons with Piney, and Clay and Gemma in the background? Does telling that story still interest you?

SUTTER: Yeah. One of the cool things about [Mayans] is we do something we never did on Sons. We never had a flashback on Sons, because I felt like it pulled you out of the world. But because of who EZ is, and the way his brain works, it’s organic to this show. Callbacks will set up that prequel you mention. I’ve talked to John about it and it’ll be a couple seasons in before we try to do it, but that will be the third chapter, but it will only be like 10 episodes. I don’t see it as a series that goes longer. It’ll start in Vietnam, and it’ll be about the formation of the club and then stop after the last member of the original nine joins. That was Clay. That way we don’t begin to infringe on the story we based that on in Sons.

And if I’m still alive when Mayans is over, I do have a thought and it’ll maybe be one of the things we lay track to. Jax didn’t destroy all those copies of John Teller’s manuscript, and at some point maybe down the line we have Drea’s character still out there with the boys, we have Jimmy Smit’s character still out there. At some point perhaps there’ll be a brother story with Able and Thomas, coming back to Charming. Where it all began. If I’m still alive, that might be the last chapter.
https://deadline.com/2018/07/kurt-s...donald-trump-tiny-hands-comic-con-1202431416/

Last edited:
Read three reviews and so far their favorable.

FYI, this is out on FX Digital early, before the premiere tuesday.

Really dig it, it's familiar territory, with a few familiar faces.

Reading the comments above just remind me how SOA was so good, but people were still calling it trash. Loved it beginning to end, flaws & all. Some people just cannot get good shows. It's a fact.

FYI, this is out on FX Digital early, before the premiere tuesday.

Really dig it, it's familiar territory, with a few familiar faces.

Reading the comments above just remind me how SOA was so good, but people were still calling it trash. Loved it beginning to end, flaws & all. Some people just cannot get good shows. It's a fact.
Agreed that Sons was underrated.

Premieres tonight!

55% and 5.93/10 rating on Rotten Tomatoes. 56 score on Metacritic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"