• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

MCU X-Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gambit allow me to welcome you the 'movies that are announced but are never going to get made' club. Other members include Fan4stic 2, Amazing Spider-Man 3 and 4, and of course...half of the DCEU slate.
Don't forget Sinister Six

source.gif

And New Mutants got pushed back several months. This day just keeps getting better!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...bit-new-mutants-get-new-release-dates-1073560

Edit: Gambit has also been delayed (to June), as expected.

If they want New Mutants to continue within the MCU, this is the smart move. They will probably remove any connectivity to the main X-Men line, so when Disney takes over there is no mix up. Especially if Dark Phoenix is the last in that Universe.

You missed it bro. Our introduction to Spidey in SMHC was how he wasn't yet a hero. Wishing to be an Avenger, failing to return a stolen bike, webbing up a guy who lost his keys, failing to stop a robbery and getting the bodega burned. The highlight of his day was some lady buying him a gyro. We got to see a full herodom journey, because that's what good filmmakers like the MCU do with heroic characters who they want their audience invested in. It just didn't happen to include him getting his powers or costume, because the surface details aren't important, it's the emotional journey.

You keep contradicting yourself.

You keep saying we need an X-Men First Class movie starring the O5 X-Men in order to care about them, in order to "generate emotion" from the audience for them. But then you cite Spider-Man Homecoming, where Peter Parker has yet to have an origin story.

So which is it?

Showing a vulnerable moment with his mother is actually a good idea, especially one he could remember and that we could relate to. Putting this scene as a flashback in a story about how Batman lost his way and turned dark to get us invested in his turn back, would set up a filmic vocabulary for how the switch back could look and include his memory of his mother in a way we care about instead of laugh at. That's what people who are interested in character do, they develop character.

The problem is that BvS should've been a completely different movie. It was a huge mistake to try to go so dark and so heavy and so overwrought with the material so early. It wasn't earned.

They should've just done a buddy cop movie with Batman and Superman and called it World's Finest. An experienced Batman and a young Superman would've made for an interesting Lethal Weapon type flick, instead of what we got.

I've already told you I'm not advocating an O5 trilogy, and how an O5 movie connects to a Giant Size movie, further proof infodumps don't work. I've already pointed out that you have all the same explaining to do and more when reintroducing characters than when introducing new ones, form the same reasons that you have more explaining to do saying the X-Men have been around for 10 years than saying the X-Men just came out. You can't just say Beast is back without explaining where he's been and why he didn't help save the world, and why they're rejoining now, on top of the normal stuff for introducing a new character. More emotions take more time, it's just that simple. I've explained this, and... no response.

So, are we communicating, or nah?

I'd rather explore where Beast has been, and why he isn't on the team anymore, than seeing him learn how to become a superhero. I'd much prefer that over seeing X-men First Class 2.0 to be honest with you.

I don't want to see the origin story of the X-men. I don't think we need to. I don't think that would be the best approach to take. There has to be a more compelling reason to do an O5 X-Men movie than just explaining where mutants have been all this time, or just giving us more screen time with the O5 characters. There has to be more to it than that.

You keep contradicting yourself.

You keep saying we need an X-Men First Class movie starring the O5 X-Men in order to care about them, in order to "generate emotion" from the audience for them. But then you cite Spider-Man Homecoming, where Peter Parker has yet to have an origin story.

So which is it?

You're quoting me explaining the difference, and how a story can have the origin effect without actually showing the gaining of powers/costume. It doesn't sound like we're communicating.

The problem is that BvS should've been a completely different movie. It was a huge mistake to try to go so dark and so heavy and so overwrought with the material so early. It wasn't earned.
I agree, in fact, that's my whole point. You can skip developing the O5, but then the storylines that rely on their character development need to be left off or else they'll be unearned, because infodumps don't earn darkness or heaviness.

I'd rather explore where Beast has been, and why he isn't on the team anymore, than seeing him learn how to become a superhero. I'd much prefer that over seeing X-men First Class 2.0 to be honest with you.

I don't want to see the origin story of the X-men. I don't think we need to. I don't think that would be the best approach to take. There has to be a more compelling reason to do an O5 X-Men movie than just explaining where mutants have been all this time, or just giving us more screen time with the O5 characters. There has to be more to it than that.
X-Men first class was about Xavier, Magneto and Raven's origin. A movie about the X-Men forming and becoming heroes (which they didn't in First Class, Magneto and Xavier did) would be totally different, but I digress.

The compelling reason to do the O5 is because you want Dark Phoenix, or Archangel's return, or Cable/Rachel/Hope or Beast's transformation to hit with a lot of emotional impact, you want those things to feel... what's the word you used? Earned. You earn things with screentime. Simple as.

Doesn't mean they have to do it that way. They could do these storylines minus the emotional impact they had in comics, or perhaps apply them to different characters, or simply not do them at all - especially since Dark Phoenix will have been done so recently - and do storylines that revolve around major emotional impact on Storm, Wolverine and Psylocke. More Morlock battles for leadership and less angst over being blue. More Omega Red and less Apocalypse. That could be cool too. They're both fine options.

Last edited:
Marvel has never operated like this, though. It's actually the opposite of how they operate. Literally the entire principle behind the creation of the MCU was to believe you can get the general public to care about your lesser known characters as much as they cared about Spider-Man and Wolverine. That mindset isn't going to go away just because everyone is back at Marvel, especially with so many other popular X-Men to choose from. If Marvel thinks it's better to wait on Wolverine, popularity won't get in the way of this.

You think Marvel is going to pass up the opportunity to have Wolverine in the MCU? What are you basing this on besides your own wishful thinking?

Yes, Marvel has invested a lot of time and money into trying to make Dr. Strange and Black Panther and Captain Marvel big name characters. That's mostly because they didn't have the movie rights to characters who are already big names.

But look at what happened when they made that deal with Sony over sharing the Spider-Man IP. They shoe horned him into Captain America Civil War so fast it wasn't even funny. They rearranged their entire phase 3 slate just to accommodate another solo Spider-Man movie.

Marvel loves their iconic characters. They aren't going to sit on the opportunities they generate (and the money they generate) just because they are going to have to cast a new actor. That's absurd.

That's just another way of saying the audience will blindly come to see any decent Wolverine as definitive just because he's in the MCU.

Iconic characters always get recast. They are bigger than any one actor.

When I brought up the cosmic stuff, I was talking about the X-Men in general. What exactly do you imagine the O5 having done so far that didn't put them on a radar? Anything global would have put them on the radar for the same reasons it put the Avengers on the radar. The O5 had to have been training indoors or operate entirely on an isolated place like Genosha or the Savage Land.

What I am saying is that the O5 X-Men in the MCU have covered their tracks so far, and have had the same type of adventures, that the X-Men had in the first season of X-Men Evolution, where they were somehow able to keep their existence hidden from the world.

What I am saying is that the O5 X-Men in the MCU have covered their tracks so far, and have had the same type of adventures, that the X-Men had in the first season of X-Men Evolution, where they were somehow able to keep their existence hidden from the world.

Secrets were much easier to keep from the government 17 years ago, when X-Men Evolution and X-Men 1 came out, tbh. If Cyclops devastated the Island of Krakoa in 1965 or 1995, the only way anyone would know is if the military picked it up on some scanner. If he did it in 2015, I could find it on Google Earth in my PJs.

EDIT:
I think they'll have Wolverine in the MCU, but I doubt it'll be in a solo film, much less before the X-Men proper, for all the reasons Shikimaru noted.

What would REALLY shock me is if they did X-Men Avengers style and had solos for Wolverine, Storm, Cyclops and Jean Grey before doing a big team up. That would pretty much blow my mind, honestly.

Last edited:
You're quoting me explaining the difference, and how a story can have the origin effect without actually showing the gaining of powers/costume. It doesn't sound like we're communicating.

But why do we need any kind of "origin effect" at all for Beast, Iceman, and Angel? You still haven't made a compelling case for why this is necessary.

I agree, in fact, that's my whole point. You can skip developing the O5, but then the storylines that rely on their character development need to be left off or else they'll be unearned, because infodumps don't earn darkness or heaviness.

X-Men first class was about Xavier, Magneto and Raven's origin. A movie about the X-Men forming and becoming heroes (which they didn't in First Class, Magneto and Xavier did) would be totally different, but I digress.

The compelling reason to do the O5 is because you want Dark Phoenix, or Archangel's return, or Cable/Rachel/Hope or Beast's transformation to hit with a lot of emotional impact, you want those things to feel... what's the word you used? Earned. You earn things with screentime. Simple as.

Doesn't mean they have to do it that way. They could do these storylines minus the emotional impact they had in comics, or perhaps apply them to different characters, or simply not do them at all - especially since Dark Phoenix will have been done so recently - and do storylines that revolve around major emotional impact on Storm, Wolverine and Psylocke. More Morlock battles for leadership and less angst over being blue. More Omega Red and less Apocalypse. That could be cool too. They're both fine options.

Your argument is that in order to care about what happens to the O5 X-Men characters as adults I first have to see them as teenagers. I have to see their origin story first. Is this what you are trying to say?

This point ignores the fact that when I first read the Dark Phoenix Saga it was in both Essential X-Men vol. 1 and 2, both of which feature the Giant Size #1 lineup of characters. I read both of these volumes from start to finish and managed to enjoy the Dark Phoenix Saga just fine, without feeling like I missed anything. I also managed to enjoy the appearances of Beast and Angel in those volumes, without feeling like I missed anything by not being able to finish the book where they were teenagers (which I still haven't).

Given that this is the point where the X-Men became a mainstream title, I imagine a lot of people read this story that never read the original run, and they seemed to have no problem enjoying the story and getting emotionally invested in it. The same can likely be said about Angel becoming Archangel (which happened way later) and Beast becoming blue and furry (did that even happen in an X-Men comic at all?).

Given this evidence, can we conclude that doing any kind of origin movie setting up the X-Men is not really necessary?

Secrets were much easier to keep from the government 17 years ago, when X-Men Evolution and X-Men 1 came out, tbh. If Cyclops devastated the Island of Krakoa in 1965 or 1995, the only way anyone would know is if the military picked it up on some scanner. If he did it in 2015, I could find it on Google Earth in my PJs.

EDIT:
I think they'll have Wolverine in the MCU, but I doubt it'll be in a solo film, much less before the X-Men proper, for all the reasons Shikimaru noted.

What would REALLY shock me is if they did X-Men Avengers style and had solos for Wolverine, Storm, Cyclops and Jean Grey before doing a big team up. That would pretty much blow my mind, honestly.

1. If Xavier has the money and resources to build Cerebro, I don't think Google Earth would be hard for him to handle.

2. I would introduce Wolverine as a member of the X-Men in the first MCU X-Men movie. Then build off from there.

Last edited:
AndrewGilkison, DrCosmic; get a room. You've been at this for like three pages now. A lot can be done with flashbacks. Giant-Size #1 has much more appeal to both fans and studio execs. That's probably what Marvel will do.

Then the question is, how long have they been the X-Men? Because I'm just not a fan of the idea that these people have been going on missions for TEN years completely under the radar. And I don't want Cyclops, Jean, Storm etc becoming the new "Hank Pym" as supporting characters. The first MCU X-Men movie should absolutely be about the main members.

Holding off on Wolverine until the second movie would be the smart thing to do creatively but the dumb thing to to do commercially.

I'd be fine with a movie that shows the first team. I can see the merit in starting from the beginning.

But I don't need that team to be the O5 from the comics.

Last edited:
Then the question is, how long have they been the X-Men? Because I'm just not a fan of the idea that these people have been going on missions for TEN years completely under the radar. And I don't want Cyclops, Jean, Storm etc becoming the new "Hank Pym" as supporting characters. The first MCU X-Men movie should absolutely be about the main members.

Who's to say they operated for ten years? Maybe it was only four or five years?

One day, I hope we can see dynamics between these characters:

Storm x Nightcrawler x Wolverine
Storm x Forge
Storm x Kitty Pryde
Kitty Pryde x Colossus x Magik
Kitty Pryde x Nightcrawler x Rachel Grey
Nightcrawler x Rogue x Mystique
Rogue x Gambit
Iceman x Cannonball x Rogue
Gambit x Storm
Psylocke x Angel
Psylocke x Dazzler x Rogue
Dazzler x Longshot x Shatterstar
Jean Grey x Cyclops x Emma Frost
Emma Frost x Kitty Pryde

Really, any combination of these characters would be awesome. There are so many possibilities!

You think Marvel is going to pass up the opportunity to have Wolverine in the MCU? What are you basing this on besides your own wishful thinking?

I don't. It's a question of when, not if. Why are you interpreting that possibility as them not wanting Wolverine in the MCU?

Yes, Marvel has invested a lot of time and money into trying to make Dr. Strange and Black Panther and Captain Marvel big name characters. That's mostly because they didn't have the movie rights to characters who are already big names.

But look at what happened when they made that deal with Sony over sharing the Spider-Man IP. They shoe horned him into Captain America Civil War so fast it wasn't even funny. They rearranged their entire phase 3 slate just to accommodate another solo Spider-Man movie.

As I told Kahran, Spider-Man is a bad example. I'll just quote myself:

I'm saying that even though they can use Wolverine right away, it's almost true to say they *can't* use him right away (key word is 'almost'). It will be extremely hard to use him in a way that leaves the impact they want to. The way they popularized the Avengers is impressive, but they were a blank slate. The X-Men franchise set a standard they have to live up to, the highest of them being Wolverine (on top of Xavier and Magneto).

We can clearly tell they were under more pressure with Spider-Man than with their other characters. That's why we finally got a good villain not named Loki, a distinct John Hughes tone for the "Marvel movies feel the same" crowd, and a brighter color palette than the one they were using. They understood they couldn't just proceed with business as usual, they had to step up their game and live up to the standard set by the Spidey franchise...fifteen years ago. When played by an actor who never left his mark on Spider-Man the way Jackman did (neither did Andrew, for that matter). The X-Men, Wolverine especially, will bring the same pressure Spider-Man did but on steroids.

That's why I don't see Marvel rushing to him. You're right they'll "start with him", in the sense they'll immediately start working on him, but that's not the same thing as immediately debuting him. That's because it will be the hardest recast to do that's not their own (and really, do we know for sure Marvel will immediately recast even their own? Recent comments from Feige imply it could go either way).

I don't. It's a question of when, not if. Why are you interpreting that possibility as them not wanting Wolverine in the MCU?

As I told Kahran, Spider-Man is a bad example. I'll just quote myself:

I'm saying that even though they can use Wolverine right away, it's almost true to say they *can't* use him right away (key word is 'almost'). It will be extremely hard to use him in a way that leaves the impact they want to. The way they popularized the Avengers is impressive, but they were a blank slate. The X-Men franchise set a standard they have to live up to, the highest of them being Wolverine (on top of Xavier and Magneto).

We can clearly tell they were under more pressure with Spider-Man than with their other characters. That's why we finally got a good villain not named Loki, a distinct John Hughes tone for the "Marvel movies feel the same" crowd, and a brighter color palette than the one they were using. They understood they couldn't just proceed with business as usual, they had to step up their game and live up to the standard set by the Spidey franchise...fifteen years ago. When played by an actor who never left his mark on Spider-Man the way Jackman did (neither did Andrew, for that matter). The X-Men, Wolverine especially, will bring the same pressure Spider-Man did but on steroids.

That's why I don't see Marvel rushing to him. You're right they'll "start with him", in the sense they'll immediately start working on him, but that's not the same thing as immediately debuting him. That's because it will be the hardest recast to do that's not their own (and really, do we know for sure Marvel will immediately recast even their own? Recent comments from Feige imply it could go either way).

I don't think Marvel is going to wait to give us Wolverine at all. They are going to want him in the first X-Men movie they do. They will want him there to help sell that first movie. They aren't going to not use him for that first X-Men movie just because they have to cast another actor. That's not how big money corporations like Disney and Marvel work.

And if you think about it, by the time Marvel gets their hands on X-Men and starts making their own X-Men movies, it will have been years since Jackman retired as the character. Wolverine is already being sidelined by FOX right now. Which is understandable for them given that Jackman was Wolverine in their X-Men universe. The MCU is a completely different universe anyway.

I don't think Marvel is going to wait to give us Wolverine at all. They are going to want him in the first X-Men movie they do. They will want him there to help sell that first movie. They aren't going to not use him for that first X-Men movie just because they have to cast another actor. That's not how big money corporations like Disney and Marvel work.

And if you think about it, by the time Marvel gets their hands on X-Men and starts making their own X-Men movies, it will have been years since Jackman retired as the character. Wolverine is already being sidelined by FOX right now. Which is understandable for them given that Jackman was Wolverine in their X-Men universe. The MCU is a completely different universe anyway.

Yeah.

Besides, it's time for a new actor as Wolverine. It would be neat to see Jackman back one day as Old Man Logan from an alternate universe. But I definitely want to see how Marvel does their Wolverine as well.

The only way to keep the most fans happy is to have them be a preexisting team. And we've already had the main characters as the focal point of six films. Especially considering the success of Stranger Things and It, and based on what they did with Spider-man, I think that focusing on a new class of students trying to live up to the established heroes like Cyclops and Jean is the best way to go.

The only way to keep the most fans happy is to have them be a preexisting team. And we've already had the main characters as the focal point of six films. Especially considering the success of Stranger Things and It, and based on what they did with Spider-man, I think that focusing on a new class of students trying to live up to the established heroes like Cyclops and Jean is the best way to go.
Yeah, no thanks. That's like having Miles Morales as Spider-Man in the first MCU Spider-Man movie because the last 5 films have been about Peter Parker. Pre-existing team or not, the first MCU X-Men should focus on the principal members. (Giant Size or O5) The main members should not be legacy characters in their first movie. That's best saved for the end of the third movie and fourth movie where we've spent a few movies to pass the torch to a new team.

And they didn't really focus on characters like Cyclops, Storm, Iceman, Hank, Kurt etc they focused on Logan, Charles, Erik and Raven.

In you guys' opinion, how does the O5 having operated in the past make a movie about Storm, Wolverine, Colossus, Nightcrawler and Shadowcat better?

AndrewGilkison, DrCosmic; get a room. You've been at this for like three pages now. A lot can be done with flashbacks. Giant-Size #1 has much more appeal to both fans and studio execs. That's probably what Marvel will do.

Avengers has more appeal to both fans and studio execs than Thor or Captain America, but which came first? Why, when Avengers was the more appealing property? Did it NEED to be set up? If so, why? If not, why'd they choose to set it up anyway?

What movie does 'a lot' in flashbacks with characters who aren't doing a lot in the present? I can't think of any offhand.

We are winding down though, I think, so you won't have to scroll past us much longer.

Honestly, fans will be happy with a good movie, as we saw with the complaints about the "too young" Spider-Man. And based on what they did with that, X-Men: Homecoming will be about Cyclops looking up to Captain America, which would be hilariously fun, and work a lot better than new kids looking up to an established character who is only established to the characters, and not to the audience, especially if that character is already established as being boring and dumb for the audience from the Fox films.

Either earn the audience's appreciation of the O5, or don't rely on it at all. Anything else is "WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME!?"

One day, I hope we can see dynamics between these characters:

Storm x Nightcrawler x Wolverine
Storm x Forge
Storm x Kitty Pryde
Kitty Pryde x Colossus x Magik
Kitty Pryde x Nightcrawler x Rachel Grey
Nightcrawler x Rogue x Mystique
Rogue x Gambit
Iceman x Cannonball x Rogue
Gambit x Storm
Psylocke x Angel
Psylocke x Dazzler x Rogue
Dazzler x Longshot x Shatterstar
Jean Grey x Cyclops x Emma Frost
Emma Frost x Kitty Pryde

Really, any combination of these characters would be awesome. There are so many possibilities!

Yes to all of these, but especially the bold, though honestly, there's no way Shatterstar gets cast in a movie series. One of the reasons why X-Men needs a TV series (but they shouldn't do that, because Loeb is as much of a curse as Perlmutter)

The original two Singer movies were basically “Wolverine and friends”

Imho, X-Men Apocalypse was the first time Singer's films weren't Wolverine and Friends, and he showed he really doesn't have an interest in the X-Men and their world.

Last edited:

I think I get now why we can't see eye to eye on this. It sounds like you think Marvel thinks the X-Men can't do big numbers without Wolverine. Would you say this is true? Mind you, I'm not asking for your personal opinion on Wolverine. I'm asking if you think Marvel thinks this about Wolverine.

If you think they don't, and he isn't necessary to the story like Xavier, why would they rush to him after how high the bar was raised? Why wouldn't they work on their Wolverine a little longer to overcome that bar? It wouldn't just be benefit creatively, it would make sense for business.

Depends on how fast they get the rights back, which can range from a Raimi-Webb gap to a Schumacher-Nolan gap. If it's something closer to the ladder, it would still mean Marvel factored in time before bringing back Wolverine. One of the reasons he might be there then is because they felt enough time passed to make it work. What I gather from most of your posts, though, is that you don't think Marvel would factor in the time. That time is a non-issue for them. That it's not one of the reasons they would and wouldn't use certain characters. If time is a factor determining their choice of Spider-Man villains, time will be a factor in whether or not they decide to start off with Wolverine (even if the answer is yes).

Didn't get a chance to respond to this, but I can meet you halfway on this.

I can imagine Marvel starting them as college-aged but paying tribute to the O5 in some ways:

1. They lived with the Professor since high school but did only danger room training (could explain why they're better in battle than the new students despite the small gap between their age).

2. Jessica Jones effect. Went out as superheroes on one or two occasions, failed miserably and hung up the costumes. First film is a mix of an origin film for a new team and the first 20 minutes of Rises which are all about a retired hero finding the drive to try again.

That's the most I can see them doing. I can't imagine them much further.

Last edited:
In you guys' opinion, how does the O5 having operated in the past make a movie about Storm, Wolverine, Colossus, Nightcrawler and Shadowcat better?

Avengers has more appeal to both fans and studio execs than Thor or Captain America, but which came first? Why, when Avengers was the more appealing property? Did it NEED to be set up? If so, why? If not, why'd they choose to set it up anyway?

What movie does 'a lot' in flashbacks with characters who aren't doing a lot in the present? I can't think of any offhand.

We are winding down though, I think, so you won't have to scroll past us much longer.

Honestly, fans will be happy with a good movie, as we saw with the complaints about the "too young" Spider-Man. And based on what they did with that, X-Men: Homecoming will be about Cyclops looking up to Captain America, which would be hilariously fun, and work a lot better than new kids looking up to an established character who is only established to the characters, and not to the audience, especially if that character is already established as being boring and dumb for the audience from the Fox films.

Either earn the audience's appreciation of the O5, or don't rely on it at all. Anything else is "WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME!?"

Yes to all of these, but especially the bold, though honestly, there's no way Shatterstar gets cast in a movie series. One of the reasons why X-Men needs a TV series (but they shouldn't do that, because Loeb is as much of a curse as Perlmutter)

Imho, X-Men Apocalypse was the first time Singer's films weren't Wolverine and Friends, and he showed he really doesn't have an interest in the X-Men and their world.
:up: Also, how exactly would young mutants "look up to" Scott when in all this time, he's been completely hidden/unknown to the public? None of the X-Men are public knowledge until their own movie.

Because then the X-Men as a concept already exists, and you don't have to make the movie X-Men Begins.

Plus, it allows characters Beast, Angel, and Iceman to come into future sequels/movies a lot easier, because they already have a connection to the X-Men, which means you don't have to waste a lot of time doing origin stuff with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"