The Dark Knight Michael Jai White Cast in TDK

Van Petrol

Reaction score
‘Spawn’ Star Takes A Gamble On ‘Dark Knight’ Role

070307_jaiwhite.jpg

If you’ve got a few extra bucks lying around, you might want to consider sending a nice sympathy bouquet to burly rapper/actor David Banner. And if you’re really swimming in the dough, you should also send a “New Beginnings Hydrangea Plant” to “Spawn” star Michael Jai White. Because only one of the two are hanging out in Gotham City these days.

After last month’s minor media sensation (which you may have read about here), here or perhaps here), MTV News once again has the exclusive on David Banner’s quest to “smack Batman in the face.” Long story short: He didn’t get the part. Over the weekend we visited the Chicago set of “The Dark Knight,” the currently-filming sequel to “Batman Begins”…and what we saw is looking really, really good. Keep checking back for more about that in the weeks to come, but while there we caught up with producers Emma Thomas and Chuck Roven, who confirmed that Banner’s much-heralded audition hadn’t landed him the role.

Instead, the role of “Gamble” has officially gone to Michael Jai White, the muscular martial artist/stuntman/actor best known for roles in such films as “Spawn” and “Exit Wounds.” Thomas and Roven also cleared up fan confusion over who, exactly, the baddie is, explaining that Gamble is one of several mob bosses attempting to take over Gotham’s streets now that Carmine Falcone (Tom Wilkinson in the first ‘Batman’ flick) is out of the picture. As “Dark Knight” opens, Batman and Jim Gordon must decide whether to focus their energy on aspiring thugs like Gamble, or the homicidal Joker (Heath Ledger), a costumed anarchist bank robber.

As best as we can tell (along with sites like this one), Gamble is a brand-new character to the Batman universe, and has never appeared in any DC comic books.

The casting of White seems particularly appropriate, considering that the genre favorite has provided voices for several “Justice League” cartoon shows as both Doomsday and Green Lantern. Unfortunately, the overly-excited David Banner most likely found the casting decision slightly less exciting than some Batman fans - but with two other movies on the horizon, we’re thinking he’ll be just fine.

“The Dark Knight” is currently filming in Chicago under the alias “Rory’s First Kiss.” Featuring Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Gary Oldman and newcomers Aaron Eckhart, Maggie Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger, the flick will continue filming in the windy city until early November, with additional work to follow in London and Hong Kong. The flick is due in theaters July 18, 2008.

Source: http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2007/07/03/spawn-star-takes-a-gamble-on-dark-knight-role/

He was the ringleader of the crooked cops in Exit Wounds. He seemed like a decent mob boss type.

Nice.

Jai White went from playing a much more violent version of Batman to being in the new Batman movie. And that was only after he played John Stewart in "Justice League Heroes", and Doomsday in JLU.

Needless to say, that's pretty cool, even for a most-likely small part.

Well that clears up some plot issues. This sounds awesome. :up::up:.

I'd prefer him over Banner, too.

Thank god David Banner didn´t get the part :up:

this seems like a great move.
spawn rocks.

Seems to match with TechNoirs bit of info, opening with a rooftop discussion. Maybe the robbery will be first, then the rooftop, you'd think they'd put an action piece first. Or maybe the 2 are entwined with the robbery a flashback while Gordon talks about it

Great choice. I wonder if Gamble knows any martial arts?

Doesn't Gamble lead a Rasta Gang? Where did I hear that?

Horrible news! All I have to say is watch Spawn, if you can. Why would Nolan get an actor like him for this movie looking at the rest of the cast??? Nolan better bring out a good performance from him.

Did this guy actually play Spawn? Or someone else?

I know he was Al Simmons. That was bad enough. I think he was also in Universal Soldier 2 and some other godawful movie that I can't remember. Oh yeah, that Jerry Springer one.

Then again, maybe I shouldn't blame his acting skills looking at the films he's been in and Directors he's worked with. Maybe he is actually a decent actor but just gets a lot of crap roles.

Horrible news! All I have to say is watch Spawn, if you can. Why would Nolan get an actor like him for this movie looking at the rest of the cast??? Nolan better bring out a good performance from him.

Would you rather have the rapper David Banner as Gamble? At least Michael Jai White is an actor unlike Banner

Hes just a small criminal role, you don't need an oscar worthy performance. Hes a good actor IMO, apprently you want them to cast Patrick stewart or something to to play Gamble.:whatever:

Was he actually bad in Spawn, or was everything else just ****? Never seen him in anything. They should have just got Idris Elba

Was he actually bad in Spawn, or was everything else just ****? Never seen him in anything. They should have just got Idris Elba

He did an okay Job, hes an okay to good actor, who can play the Intimidateing villian type, hence why he was cast.

Never knew anything about all this Gamble stuff not to mention never knew a rapper was going to possibly play him. Don't know when those rumors were around, must have been off on some other boards at the time. Yes I would rather him take the role than another god damn rapper, and for the smartass with the eye rolling, of course I don't expect someone like Patrick Stewart. I just haven't seen MJW do much good acting. He better not be using any stupid stereotype sayings. Had to smack myself in the head in shame and embarrasment when he did the home alone fist pump and said "Yes!" in Spawn, just like how they made Blade do it in the first film.

Nah I think that would be a step back for Idris Elba.

much better choice than Banner:up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"