Miller in Talks to Direct Hard Boiled (Not that one Blas)

Hunter Rider

Ronin
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=44289
Source: MTV
April 21, 2008

Frank Miller (Sin City, upcoming The Spirit) tells MTV that he is in talks to direct an adaptation of his and Geof Darrow's comic, Hard Boiled, about an insurance investigator-turned-cyborg assassin. Back in 2001, it was announced that Warner Bros. was in talks with Miller and Darrow to write the feature film, that was to be directed by David Fincher with Nicholas Cage starring.

Check out Miller's comments on this here.

Never read the book but if Fincher was interested at one i am guessing it has something going for it beyond the cool concept.

I haven't read the book either -- but I'd like to know about this "unusual way" he's talking about.

At first, I thought that they were remaking one of the greatest action movies of all-time, if not my favorite, but thankfully, they weren't. Whew...

:up:

At first, I thought they were talking about the Miller who was a talented filmmaker.

How wrong we were. :(

this book made my eyes hurt. And my brain...i have no idea what happened in that book at all. :(

Never read the book. Whats it about?

Unfortunately, a movie would never be as visually compelling as the book.

Never read the book. Whats it about?

Carl Seltz is a suburban insurance investigator, a loving husband, and devoted father. Nixon is a berserk, homicidal tax collector racking up mind-boggling body counts in a diseased urban slaughterhouse. Unit Four is the ultimate robot killing machine - and the last hope of the future's enslaved mechanical servants. And they're all the same psychotic entity.

Doesn't sound bad. I'd watch that film, save for a detail or two.

I've read the book.
For those expecting some deep novel , forget it. Hardboiled is a very simple story but it's the art grabs you.
Geoff Darrow ( who also worked on the matrix sequels as a concept artists) known amongst comic purist as someone who draws images that are so incredibly detailed , was the one who drew the art for Hardboiled. r Really really detailed art
Don't believe me . Click below
http://www.leahfaust.com/fausthaus_blog/miller_darrow1.jpg
http://www.leahfaust.com/fausthaus_blog/miller-darrow2.jpg
http://www.kazet.bial.pl/2002_11/gfx/hard_boiled_02.jpg

If Miller wants to make Hardboiled , he should get Geoff Darrow aboard.
Seriously to get all those details right is going to be one hell of a difficult job

Yeah, too difficult if you ask me. I just don't see the point really.

So what's the story?

Honestly, I have lost fiath in Miller, because I was expecting him to show something new in The Spirit, but he just used the same style, formula, storytelling and as a result got 100% of Sin City :(

So what's the story?

Honestly, I have lost fiath in Miller, because I was expecting him to show something new in The Spirit, but he just used the same style, formula, storytelling and as a result got 100% of Sin City :(

I don't think he'd re-hash his Spirit/Sin City visual style for this. If he did use green screen, it wouldn't be anything remotely close to Sin City. It's not his artwork for one, and the city in the big is pretty futuristic(and detailed due to Darrow's insanely detailed art), so without building full sets, green screen is probably his only other option.

And the story is REALLY simple. So simple that i had to read it a few times to actually understand what the hell just happened. So Frank's gonna have to do some major re-hauling to the story if he wants to make it a film.

Get Zack Snyder to make it his work with watchmen is inspiring I don't mean the costumes but the sets are great.

I don't think he'd re-hash his Spirit/Sin City visual style for this. If he did use green screen, it wouldn't be anything remotely close to Sin City. It's not his artwork for one, and the city in the big is pretty futuristic(and detailed due to Darrow's insanely detailed art), so without building full sets, green screen is probably his only other option.

And the story is REALLY simple. So simple that i had to read it a few times to actually understand what the hell just happened. So Frank's gonna have to do some major re-hauling to the story if he wants to make it a film.

You're right here, it's very very detailed, but still I hope Miller isn't going to just make a complete 100% comic book on screen, because it's too simple and it only shows how lazy filmmakers can be.

Sorry, but I am really getting pissed off, because everybody only claims how the story is simple, but doesn't want to tell it to other posters, who have no idea about what the movie is :mad:

I'd love to see them do an accurate film adaptation of all the background stuff...in the cities and the creatures on the giant fat guy...lol
When the chickbot comes on to the protag, that would be fun to watch.

I'm at a loss for some of the Miller hate I see here and there. The man's a genius. His best work will always be his comic stories, but I'm glad to see his stories, for the most part, being turned into movies. And as far as his take on the Spirit. He's just doing what he's always done with already existing characters. He's redoing them from the ground up, just as he did with The Dark Knight Returns. And the look of the Spirit is just Miller's noir style, its not specific to Sin City. He's even done other noirish books in the same sparse style, but they weren't Sin City.

Anyways, Hard-Boiled is an amazing and amazingly graphic comic. It's about a human losing his humanity and in turn, losing his mind. If you're into hardcore sci-fi you should definately dig this. Its very very intense. There really is no other comic story like it. And the main crux of the story is that the protagonist is unaware of his artificiality at the start of the story. And the world Hard-Boiled is set in is an incredibly harsh one. If it was truly to follow the comic, the film would have to be rated anywhere from NC-17 to X, even by todays standards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"