Mindy Kaling is Velma

Ill watch but Im not that interested in the Scooby Gang when they are seperated.
Ditto. Love Scooby, but all together. Although... this interests me more than any other Scooby solo would. I've always had a... thing... for Velma Dinkley:ilv:

Wonder why they didn't go with Kate Micucci? She's been the voice of Velma for the TV shows and movies (with the exception of Scoob!) since 2016.

Well, Kate is adorable and funny but Mindy is a bigger name. Though it’s a tad disappointing; I would much rather see a live action Velma series starring Mindy.

What’s the point if the rest do the Gang don’t even exist (without the van and their dog)? Weird choice… unless Scooby is now dead.

I'm a HUGE Scooby-Doo fan and Velma might just be my favourite character, but nothing I'm hearing so far is grabbing me.

It is also said that the series will be set in a world where Scooby-Doo & the Mystery Machine do not exist.

And this is a good idea because... ?

upload_2021-6-10_22-5-33.jpeg

I am fine with Mindy being Velma, Velma being east asian but no Scooby and no gang is going to be a hard sell. It's still too early to know whether this can work.

WB regarding the Scooby-Doo franchise

67307151.jpg

https://www.cbr.com/hbo-max-velma-scooby-doo-east-asian/?utm_source=CBR-FB-P&utm_medium=Social-Distribution&utm_campaign=CBR-FB-P&fbclid=IwAR3iaxJbr9k1KZN_ID00M-_ol29bzDSL1-7v99FLV3NaqsYRrplw_qOl8vg

During a World Screen Events keynote presentation, WarnerMedia's Tom Ascheim explained that part of what drew Kaling to Velma was her excitement to "reimagine what Scooby-Doo would be like if Velma were of East Asian descent and lived in a different world. And so in that version, which is going on HBO Max first, there's no dog and there's no van, but we have our four key characters through a different lens."

"her excitement to "reimagine what Scooby-Doo would be like if Velma were of East Asian descent and lived in a different world"

I'm really trying to wrap my brain around this one, because...I can understand the excitement to make Velma Asian descent (I think she's supposed to be South Asian, though), and I can understand the excitement to reimagine their world, but I feel like the two would get in the way of each other. If you change fundamental things about Velma's world, then you're not really examining what the original Velma would be like if she were Asian. It's like if with Red Son, instead of it being what if Superman was raised in Soviet Russia, it was what if Superman was raised in Soviet Russia but also had no superpowers. Or also was autistic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davutha
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"