MOS now Summer of 2013 instead of Winter 2012

WB do indeed have a summer tent pole film on 2013. It's Pacific Rim.

Yep.

MOS is being released in mid June, three full weekends before 4th of July weekend. Then Del Toro's Pacific Rim the weekend after the 4th.

WB's is strategically surrounding whatever film is released 4th of July weekend with their own tentpoles. :up:

It seems the animated film, Despicable Me 2 is the only film being released July 4th weekend?

Last edited:
Films for the Spring/Summer of 2013, so far:

May
3rd: Iron Man 3
10th: Mommy and Me
17th: Singularity
24th: Fast & Furious 6

June
7th: Turbo
14th: Man of Steel
21th: Monsters University
28th: R.I.P.D.

July
3rd: Despicable Me 2
12th: Pacific Rim
19th: Oblivion
26th: Thor 2

I haven't said my feelings towards the date change, so let me get out of the way: I like the idea that it was changed from Christmas 2012 to Summer 2013. Because everybody wants this film to work so bad, this gives them enough time to make it good. And since this is a Nolan-Synder film, with action being the keyword; summer seems better. Plus, the last time this happened to a film that was reboot (of sorts) that was suppose to be out during the Christmas holiday but was pushed to the summer, and that push back must've helped the final product, was JJ Abrams' Star Trek.

However, MOS being released a week before a Disney film, in this Monsters University which is a prequel to Monsters, Inc., has got me a bit worried a little as kids movies overtake other films regardless of that film's BO or reviews, etc.

May

June

July

I haven't said my feelings towards the date change, so let me get out of the way: I like the idea that it was changed from Christmas 2012 to Summer 2013. Because everybody wants this film to work so bad, this gives them enough time to make it good. And since this is a Nolan-Synder film, with action being the keyword; summer seems better. Plus, the last time this happened to a film that was reboot (of sorts) that was suppose to be out during the Christmas holiday but was pushed to the summer, and that push back must've helped the final product, was JJ Abrams' Star Trek.

However, MOS being released a week before a Disney film, in this Monsters University which is a prequel to Monsters, Inc., has got me a bit worried a little as kids movies overtake other films regardless of that film's BO or reviews, etc.

I'm quite worried about the film being moved to summer. The summer season can be very hard to crack if you aren't a sequel in an existing franchise.
Also, releasing it within a week of a big family movie is dangerous. SR was released within one week of POTC2 and got absolutely pounded by it.
I think Superman would've suited a winter release better where it is not so hard to make an impact in an oversaturated market like the summer season.

Agreed.

History shows that people simply do not go to the movies as much in mid June compared to mid May or mid July

Anyone thinking Superman will buck that rend is being naive.

300-350mil are amazing numbers not "solid." It's not easy to make 300mil domestically.

I'm fine with the move to summer but June is a real death trap. And not being released on a Wednesday in June before July 4th doesn't really count as a June opening. I wish they'd take another slot.

I was never feeling that winter release date so I am happier to see Supes back in the summer. Now WB has to make sure not to make another GL and to a lesser degree SR.

May

June

July

I doubt WB's is worried about Monsters University.

I think they are probably more worried about Despicable Me 2 if anything. Disney/Pixar and the Monster University people should be worried about Despicable Me 2 as well.

That's why they chose a date to release MOS a full 3 weekends ahead of Despicable Me 2.

If WB's were to move MOS to July, where would they move to? A week ahead of Thor 2 or perhaps take the place of Pacific Rim? That wouldn't make sense.

MOS is going to have competition no matter when it is released people. So stop worrying about it!

300-350mil are amazing numbers not "solid." It's not easy to make 300mil domestically.

I'm fine with the move to summer but June is a real death trap. And not being released on a Wednesday in June before July 4th doesn't really count as a June opening. I wish they'd take another slot.

I was never feeling that winter release date so I am happier to see Supes back in the summer. Now WB has to make sure not to make another GL and to a lesser degree SR.

I think 300 million domestically would be quite solid for MOS, especially in todays competitive movie market.

Toy Story 3, Super 8, X-Men First Class, Wall-E, Transformers Revenge of the Fallen, and the Hangover are all recent movies with June release dates that were very successful in domestic box office. June is a good month and it's looking good for Man of Steel right now because it's the only real marquee movie slotted for June at this moment. If it's a decent movie, word of mouth will carry it into two, maybe even three weeks leading the box office in the U.S.

I think 280-300 million domestic would be quite solid for MOS, especially in todays competitive movie markets. The key for MOS is for WB's and Snyder to maintain budget discipline. This film won't be another GL. The creative teams are vastly different.

MOS is going to have to compete with other films no matter when it is released. It's just the way it is.

man all i gotta say is, if MOS makes 280 or 300, you can bet a sequel might even do better than the dark night....im just saying if they build up to the sequel right, it could be big, but you never know..:yay:

Not a good sign at all IMO. Superman should have never been scheduled to be a Christmas film anyways.

With Warner Bros and Superman, I don't have a whole lot of confidence. The head honchos at WB don't really love the character and mystique of Superman. I get the feeling they are just trying to put something on screen to make a few bucks as cheaply as they can.

I think any number over the production budget will be good news for this movie coupled with a good word of mouth. 300 million is no easy task and few superhero movies have reached it. If this film can make over 200 million it would be good.

I think any number over the production budget will be good news for this movie coupled with a good word of mouth. 300 million is no easy task and few superhero movies have reached it. If this film can make over 200 million it would be good.

I agree.

280-300 is not easy these days. However, SR made 200 million domestic and that was just on the Superman name alone basically. I would estimate that a vastly improved Nolan and Snyder Superman film should be able to add another 60 million domestic from what SR earned yeah?

Nolans Inception made 290 million domestic and that was an amazing achievement for a mind bending mesmerizing film like Inception surely was. Nolans The Dark Knight made an astounding 533 million domestically.

On the low end, I think this Nolan produced story of MOS, should at least hit 260 million domestically with the potential for more of course.

I agree.

280-300 is not easy these days. However, SR made 200 million domestic and that was just on the Superman name alone basically. I would estimate that a vastly improved Nolan and Snyder Superman film should be able to add another 60 million domestic from what SR earned yeah?

Nolans Inception made 290 million domestic and that was an amazing achievement for a mind bending mesmerizing film like Inception surely was. Nolans The Dark Knight made an astounding 533 million domestically.

On the low end, I think this Nolan produced story of MOS, should at least hit 260 million domestically with the potential for more of course.
On Nolan's name alone?

why do people still assume Nolan is heavily involved with this movie? if it sucks you guys will blame Snyder...if it's a blockbuster you guys will give all the credit to Nolan.

why do people still assume Nolan is heavily involved with this movie? if it sucks you guys will blame Snyder...if it's a blockbuster you guys will give all the credit to Nolan.

It's the fear of Snyder....and acknowledging Bat-envy without technically admitting it. :O :oldrazz:

like GL they found a way to not realese a comicbook movie in winter.

guys you are aware that if they film this movie in 2011 that they will not spend on the CGI until summer 2013 right? Star Trek and Prince of Persia were finished way before the premiere. the studio will not pay extra money so that the artist can twek shots and surf the internet and watch youtube videos. this movie will have the same post production time like a normal blockbuster movie.

This makes no sense...

Most pictures require about a year after shooting to make everything look good when it has such a large amount of FX shots...

The fact that they have not started filming at all makes me feel confident that they will have more time to make it right... Despite how much I want the Superman flick as soon as possible

I was secretly hoping the film would get pushed back to 2013. As everyone said, it's too crowded.

This makes no sense...

Most pictures require about a year after shooting to make everything look good when it has such a large amount of FX shots...

The fact that they have not started filming at all makes me feel confident that they will have more time to make it right... Despite how much I want the Superman flick as soon as possible

If filming hasn't already started...it will soon

May

June

July

Hmmm...I'd say Fox drops The Wolverine to Memorial Day weekend, and fight it off against Fast & Furious 6 and Star Trek 2 beams down on the July 4th weekend. Wouldn't expect that big holiday weekend to be dependent on just an animated movie (albeit the sequel to a very popular and successful one).

im sorry if this has been said before. although i am extremely disappointed to have to wait an extra 6 months, does anyone feel as though this is a postive by allowing nolan more involvement with a year between the release of TDKR and MOS?

Nolan still won't be there for principal photography. But some fanboys will allow themselves to be deluded into believing he is covertly covering both Rises and Man of Steel.

Nolan still won't be there for principal photography. But some fanboys will allow themselves to be deluded into believing he is covertly covering both Rises and Man of Steel.

not principal photography, but post production which is very important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannnnman
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"