Most Underrated MCU Movie

Age of Ultron.

I also think Iron Man 3 and The First Avenger deserve better reputation.

Does not understand the hate for IM3. Aside from the twist, everything was great.

Glad to see Thor doing well. I thought IM3 would win this by some way.

I voted for Cap 1. It's not crapped on like IM2, TIH, IM3 and T DW but it tends to get forgotten because it's not part of that elite 5/6 and tends to get lost between 7-11.

Captain America: The First Avenger (by far), Hulk and Thor 1

I quite enjoyed AOU but it's also a bit of a guilty pleasure for me because I acknowledge that it's a pretty messy movie, but the characters and action are entertaining and make it fun to come back to.

So I wouldn't call it underrated despite being a fan of the movie because I understand why a lot of people have strong disdain for it. I don't think it does anything particularly well in terms of filmmaking, but as an MCU fan I'm able to look past it to an extent, I suppose.

Age of Ultron would've been better if it'd been called Weekend of Ultron. Or, better yet, Weekend at Ultron's.

I actually find AOU overrated on here. It just gets worse for me every time I watch it.

It's interesting averaging everyone's ranking in the post GOTG2 MCU ranking thread, AOU ranks about 8th.

Personally, I'd put it 10th, but the group battle against Ultron is one of the most beautifully done battles.

9e8e18c57d0415364381b62a10a6608d.gif

Albeit, it's a very small group it's a part of considering the only other groups on cinema are the X-Men, GOTG and FF.

Moments like that in the movie are what frustrate me about it. It has great moments but they brought down by some really poor ones,

Oooh. Good thread.

I think I see the arguments for GotGv2 and maybe even Iron Man 2. But I still have to go Incredible Hulk. Thats one of my favorites and it's usually securely at the bottom of most people's lists.

But I still have to go Incredible Hulk. Thats one of my favorites and it's usually securely at the bottom of most people's lists.
I thought it was fine at the time. I still don't think it's a bad movie by any means, but time hasn't been kind to it.

Oooh. Good thread.

I think I see the arguments for GotGv2 and maybe even Iron Man 2. But I still have to go Incredible Hulk. Thats one of my favorites and it's usually securely at the bottom of most people's lists.

GOTG2 seems to be very well-liked from what I've seen. Not that far off the first one.

I thought it was fine at the time. I still don't think it's a bad movie by any means, but time hasn't been kind to it.

Well, I think it has been outshined time and time again by both the MCU as well as other franchise flicks (DoFP/Logan/Deadpool, etc). But I don't think that makes it any worse of a movie. I can still watch it and enjoy it all the way through.

GOTG2 seems to be very well-liked from what I've seen. Not that far off the first one.

Around here maybe. I think I was specifically referring to critical consensus. Which is markedly lower than that of the original. Just seems strange because I actually feel like it was mostly an improvement.

I echo those who've said Thor. I think it's only flaw is that it wasn't as ambitious as it could've been, but I think that it deserves a break in that regard due to it being an origin story. It is an otherwise a solid film though.

So essentially:

IM, TA, TWS, GOTG, AM, CW, DS & GOTG Vol 2 are not underrated and there are some that would say a few are overrated.

TIH, IM2 and T: DW are usually considered the worse.

IM3 and AOU are probably the two most divisive movies.

Which pretty much puts leaves Thor and TFA somewhere in the middle.

So essentially:

IM, TA, TWS, GOTG, AM, CW, DS & GOTG Vol 2 are not underrated and there are some that would say a few are overrated.

TIH, IM2 and T: DW are usually considered the worse.

IM3 and AOU are probably the two most divisive movies.

Which pretty much puts leaves Thor and TFA somewhere in the middle.

AOU is not divisive. Most of the peeople liked it, they just didn't like it as much as the first. That doesn;t make it divisive. MOS is divisive. I have not seen nowhere near the divisiveness that MOS has caused. Most people acknowledge AOU as a solid film that didn't reach the heights of the first.

Thor.

It's my favorite MCU movie. To me, it has the same strengths as TFA in that it's charming and heartfelt, but it has a setting that's more up my alley, and its third act isn't a snoozefest. And despite the overuse of Dutch angles, I think the movie looks better than most of the MCU movies with their somewhat low contrast colors. I love how shiny some of the costumes are on Asgard, not to mention Asgard itself. Gold and glorious. While it was neat to get a grungier Game of Thronesish look in Dark World, the prestine look in the original film was just magical imo, especially when paired with Patrick Doyle's score, the most heart-warming score in the MCU.

AoU is another. Didn't have the same impact as the first, but while the first film gets more and more grating and hollow imo, this one gets better and better. It's thematically rich, the dialogue is less annoying, and the cinematography doesn't look like Agents of Shield.

I also find IM2 underrated. Sure the story doesn't amount to much, but I like Favreau's tone. Hammer was hilarious.

Last edited:
AOU is not divisive. Most of the peeople liked it, they just didn't like it as much as the first. That doesn;t make it divisive. MOS is divisive. I have not seen nowhere near the divisiveness that MOS has caused. Most people acknowledge AOU as a solid film that didn't reach the heights of the first.

It does appear to be one of the most complained about movies along with IM3 at least in internet circles.

Just my opinion, but I'm baffled to the The First Avenger winning. I don't think it's bad but it's really too emorable either IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"