MSJ talks Daredevil sequel "Born Again"

Gammy79 said:
I have nothing against the 'Fleck, and I still think he did a good job, but I hope they don't cast that pretty boy from The Gudge for the sequel.
How about a real actor?
Apparently Matt damon, Edward Norton, and Guy Pierce were considered for the role in the first movie, and I think they all would have been better.

None of those guys would have taken that role, Guy Pierce especially. I believe Chris Nolan approached him for Batman Begins and he scoffed at the idea of starring in a comic book movie.

I love Daredevil.

I initially thought Matt Damon would be the ideal pick. After seeing Affleck in the role, though, and how effortlessly he handled it, I can't imagine someone else anymore.

I'd love for there to be a DD2. And though I was initially turned off to the idea of Ben as Matt Murdock, watching the film and the DC over and over again got me used to seeing him as DD. He did pretty well, actually. And I would really like for him to return for a DD2 (mainly for continuity purposes, because it annoys me when they get different actors to replace the earlier one in sequels. The Batman movies are an exception, but I just hope Bale stays as Batman).

I would love for them to adapt "Born Again", but seriously, that should be saved for like part 3, mainly because Matt and Karen's relationship got no focus time in the first film. Part 2 should have him facing off against Typhoid Mary and the Owl, with Karen playing a love interest to Matt, and Mary creating a love triangle, with Typhoid Mary falling in love with Daredevil. All this would be caused by the Owl who is trying to move in on the Kingpin's territory, which could lead to one big gang war (and Urich should either be narrorating the whoel story or have him play a more important role).

Then DD3 could adapt "Born Again".

Or, if they must, they could reboot DD a la "The Incredible Hulk" (or "Evil Dead 2"; not necessarily a sequel, but not an entirely different film). Have this film actually show how he became The Man Without Fear. Show how it was when he first got on the scene, how he first met Foggy (not sure if Elektra and Stick should be thrown in), how he coped with his father's death, how he made his costume (I think Melvin Potter should be thrown in there and maybe even have him become the Gladiator). I wanna see how the city handles this new hero on the scene. How will they react to a guy dressed as a devil protecting their streets? Have Ben Urich in there play a more important role rather than just some annoying stalker reporter.

And if the reboot does well, continue on from there.

Good.
A new Daredevil will be great cuz Affleck definitely won't be back.
I hope MCD and Colin return (If Bullseye returns).

Bishop2 said:
I love Daredevil.

I initially thought Matt Damon would be the ideal pick. After seeing Affleck in the role, though, and how effortlessly he handled it, I can't imagine someone else anymore.

I just threw up in my mouth.

MSJ can continue to direct it as far as I am concerned. Just bring on Frank Miller as an advisor next time and I think we could get a film maybe even "too good" for the likes of Mathew Murdock. MSJ is a great guy because I think at the end of the day he is never too proud to learn from his mistakes. I think Ghost Rider will far surpass DareDevil....I mean look at this otherwise nobody take a bad cast, bad script and turn it into a somewhat cult favorite among comic fans.

I really cannot help but like him.

Daredevil 2 is deader than K-Fed's music career.

It might not be a sequel but the franchise is not dead. Dead at New Regency/Fox yes...dead...nope. :)

No Daredevil plans in the near future? Because of Elektra? I imagine Elektra flopped just due to non-comic fans not knowing who she is, but that's my guess. A Daredevil sequel...it'd be almost a given that it'd be better than the first, especially since Affleck won't play him. I think Affleck was too big of a guy, they needed someone more fit anyways.

ShadowBoxing said:
MSJ can continue to direct it as far as I am concerned. Just bring on Frank Miller as an advisor next time and I think we could get a film maybe even "too good" for the likes of Mathew Murdock. MSJ is a great guy because I think at the end of the day he is never too proud to learn from his mistakes. I think Ghost Rider will far surpass DareDevil....I mean look at this otherwise nobody take a bad cast, bad script and turn it into a somewhat cult favorite among comic fans.

I really cannot help but like him.
Without a doubt. Not to mention people who just want to see a movie look at one preview and see a guy in a red suit and the other a skull with a flaming head? Ghost Rider will always win out. :woot:

TheCaptain22555 said:
No Daredevil plans in the near future? Because of Elektra? I imagine Elektra flopped just due to non-comic fans not knowing who she is, but that's my guess. A Daredevil sequel...it'd be almost a given that it'd be better than the first, especially since Affleck won't play him. I think Affleck was too big of a guy, they needed someone more fit anyways.

Is it bad that I liked Elektra? :huh:

Ben Urich said:
Is it bad that I liked Elektra? :huh:

I enjoyed it, but I don't think it was actually GOOD... I enjoyed it in spite of itself...

I don't think a reboot is necessary, it would be better to stablish DD as a cooler hero first before going in to the Born Again story. It just seems to soon to go there.

Born Again rules, no need for another movie to establish DD, just pull the rug out from under him.

The first movie got all the important stuff out of the way so imo they can really cut loose now. They got Matt's origin, his relationship with Elektra, her death, all in one hit. His identity was revealed to Kingpin, Bullseye's spine is broken (leading to the new and improved version we know). Now his more iconic storylines can be done like, as mentioned by Mark himself, Born Again. Maybe even some of the recent Bendis and Brubaker stuff.

Can't wait till this goes back to Marvel. I'm sure they'll know what to do with it. FOX has a habit of just f**king up. All you have to do is look at X2 and X3. They just haaad to have their movie released by THEIR deadline so they got a director who believed that faster is better...Kind of wish DD had gone to New Line, along with Blade. Those guys seem to just mind their own buisness and let the creative team do their own thing.

I really liked the Daredevil film with the DC and I thought that Ben Affleck did a great job with his portrayal of Matt Murdock/Daredevil. It's too bad that he wouldn't want to come back and do the role again, IMO.

Advanced Dark said:
^ Your up to your usual trolling ways I See Spidey.
My opinion on a Daredevil 2 is trolling? Only if you don't like me.

Daredevil 2 is deader than K-Fed's music career

This comment seems much less thought out and harsher than mine.

I think that the next DD movie being based off Born Again would be great, but a sequel where we have competing crime bosses trying to be the new Kingpin would also be great. If I were running this franchise, I'd end it with Matt becoming the Kingpin in DD3, ala the Bendis run.

Born Again really is the natural continuation. Back when the first movie came out, I thought the obvious place to go in the sequel was either to do "Born Again" or to delve into Stick and The Hand. Well, Elektra screwed up the latter, so the former is obviously the best option. A while back, Affleck even said that the only sequel he could imagine wanting to do would be one based on Born Again. I'm glad everybody involved with the franchise seems to know where to go next, but the "franchise" in question also seems to be palpably dead until Marvel gets their hands back on it. Which is really too bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"