• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Music Is Magic - The Composer of the Strange - Speculation Thread

I was just listening to it on YT again, it's so unimaginative and ordinary score. Totally wasted opportunity if you consider it's for something like Doctor Strange. :whatever:

I was just listening to it on YT again, it's so unimaginative and ordinary score. Totally wasted opportunity if you consider it's for something like Doctor Strange. :whatever:

Well it's got a choral theme and uses a lot of melodic techniques. I certainly don't consider it an ordinary score, though I could see why someone would think it is. Personally, ordinary for me, would basically mean that it's a Zimmer style copy score, and not in anyway is the score typing to ape Zimmer's style.

The only thing I didn't like about the score was how similar one of the themes was to Star Trek, but I chock that up to limited notes more then anything. A lot of composers scores start to sound similar when you listen to them back to back after.

Last edited:
I love it, to me it fits the character very well.

Yeah, the main theme weird and "out there", which is fitting to Doctor Strange. I just hope that Marvel doesn't toss it aside if Giacchino doesn't return for the sequel, like they often do with sequel scores.

No one else heard his distinct Star Trek sounds in there. I thought I was watching a Star Trek movie. Not that it's bad I love the score he does for Star Trek. But sounded too similar.

No, you're not the only one. Me and a few have other people have pointed that out.

IMO in the top class of MCU scores. Loved the recognizable theme.

Giacchino is one of the best in the business

Score was top notch

Yeah, the main theme weird and "out there", which is fitting to Doctor Strange. I just hope that Marvel doesn't toss it aside if Giacchino doesn't return for the sequel, like they often do with sequel scores.

If Derrickson returns for a sequel, there's a good chance Giacchino will return or Derrickson's usual collaborator Christopher Young.

Young is usually really good when it comes to sequel scores. He used Elfman's themes to terrific effect in SM-3, and he would likely use Giacchino's DS theme in a potential sequel.

If Derrickson returns for a sequel, there's a good chance Giacchino will return or Derrickson's usual collaborator Christopher Young.

Young is usually really good when it comes to sequel scores. He used Elfman's themes to terrific effect in SM-3, and he would likely use Giacchino's DS theme in a potential sequel.

Young was actually supposed to score Doctor Strange, but he dropped due for no really explained reasons. I doubt he'll score the sequel, although I would have been interested to see what would have done with the score. A bit of a missed opportunity on Marvel's part, oh well.

I just started to listen to the soundtrack today. Haven't finished everything yet but Inside the Mirror does remind me of Night on the Yorktown (it doesn't sound as epic, but imo nothing I see in cinema this year is as epic as the Yorktown scene).

Hard to believe we're 14 films into the MCU and this was Giacchino's first crack at one. Hope he comes back for more as this was easily in the top five MCU scores so far. I was reminded of his Star Trek scores at some points, but I loved how psychedelic it got as well.

I downloaded the score the day it came out and I've had plenty of time to listen to it now, and also hear it within the movie. In my first couple of listens I was let down a bit because it didn't reach the potentials that I had built up in my head. That's my own fault as I was expecting some really psychedelic and horror styled stuff. There are touches of that in here, but it has really grown to be my favorite score of the MCU movies. A lot of standout moments for this and getting to hear the songs within the film finally helped move my opinion over towards positive. Definitely hope Giacchino comes back for a sequel and I'm excited to hear what he will do for Homecoming.

No one else heard his distinct Star Trek sounds in there. I thought I was watching a Star Trek movie. Not that it's bad I love the score he does for Star Trek. But sounded too similar.
Yeah, there were a few passages here and there that took from his Star Trek work throughout the film. Giacchino is a great composer and all, but nothing in Doctor Strange was good as his work on say, The Incredibles, Ghost Protocol or Star Trek.

The Dr.Strange theme will stick more with repeat appearances from the character, like the X2 theme. We'll associate it with the character the more they use it in his appearances, so I'm not too worried about that.

Giacchino will have his work cut out with Homecoming though. The Elfman Spider-Man theme is one of the best out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"