• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

NBA Thread of 2017/2018: Count to 16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing against Paul George, but since he left my Pacers, it's a little satisfying to see the Pacers clinch a playoff spot, and the Thunder in danger of not getting in.

Nothing against Paul George, but since he left my Pacers, it's a little satisfying to see the Pacers clinch a playoff spot, and the Thunder in danger of not getting in.

Yeah, free agency is great for players but sucks for fans.

Kyrie is out for the playoffs. Needs a second surgery to remove the screws in his knee.

Kyrie is out for the playoffs. Needs a second surgery to remove the screws in his knee.

And they are saying "no structural damage" pretty loud......just like last time he had a surgery.

Seeing a lot of guys who played in the last 3 Finals getting hurt this year. Might explain why teams don't go to the Finals over and over.

So Westbrook is obviously chasing rebounds so he can average a triple double for the second year in a row.

Which brings up an interesting question. That accomplishment was the reason he won the MVP last year. So...shouldn't he win it again this year?

And if not...wouldn't that prove the writers are just voting for "new and shiny story"? I guess averaging a triple double this year is boring them.

For the first time in 10 years, I have hope that the Pelicans might actually do some damage in the playoffs.

Looks like the Pacers get the Cavs in the first round again.

So Westbrook is obviously chasing rebounds so he can average a triple double for the second year in a row.

Which brings up an interesting question. That accomplishment was the reason he won the MVP last year. So...shouldn't he win it again this year?

And if not...wouldn't that prove the writers are just voting for "new and shiny story"? I guess averaging a triple double this year is boring them.

Wasn't LeBron chasing stats too? Did he have to play the last game? Or did he just really want 82 under his belt? And if he needed to play, how come he didn't come out before reaching 10 pts? Or did he want to make sure he didn't mess that record up either?

Look, obviously if he's that close to getting it, he's going to go after it like any player would. The fact that he was in line to do it (again) though is amazing in and of itself. Play NBA 2K on rookie level and try to do that. Go to the YMCA and try to average a triple double just for one day. It's not easy and the disrespect towards it is not only baffling, but astonishing. Last year, not only was it historic, but he also did it while leading the league in scoring, that's why it was so special, particularly after everyone assumed Durant's departure was going to completely sink the team.

If LeBron did this, you would be singing his praises and pointing to it as validation that he's the best. Westbrook? Oh he's chasing stats, meanwhile the team is like 20-5 this season when he does get a triple double.

He stepped up and completely shut down Harden that last game they played, when most superstars won't even take the challenge of guarding each other nowadays. He goes after every 50/50 ball with the same effort for 82+ games. Since he's been in the league his rebounding has steadily increased, he's the only player I've ever seen with multiple knee surgeries who's seemed to get faster, the guy is a freak of nature just like LeBron or Durant, and should be respected as such.

(By the way, OKC, Westbrook, Durant and presumably Harden are league MVPs, you torpedo that for Ibaka?? Yikes)

Last edited:
As a Spurs fan, the ONLY chance we have is Kawhi returning. But the chances of that is next to zero.

Wasn't LeBron chasing stats too? Did he have to play the last game? Or did he just really want 82 under his belt? And if he needed to play, how come he didn't come out before reaching 10 pts? Or did he want to make sure he didn't mess that record up either?
That's exactly what he was doing. Pretty obvious he wanted to play 82 games and of course he's not going to stop his streak. Also obvious the motivation was the attacks from people like Skip Bayless. If Lebron played in the pre "examine every detail of a player for a daily talk show" era he probably wouldn't bother.

Doc said:
Look, obviously if he's that close to getting it, he's going to go after it like any player would. The fact that he was in line to do it (again) though is amazing in and of itself. Play NBA 2K on rookie level and try to do that. Go to the YMCA and try to average a triple double just for one day. It's not easy and the disrespect towards it is not only baffling, but astonishing. Last year, not only was it historic, but he also did it while leading the league in scoring, that's why it was so special, particularly after everyone assumed Durant's departure was going to completely sink the team.

No one said it was easy....just that it's what he is doing. A lot of guys could go out and chase triple doubles every night. That doesn't mean it's easy. If you think he just happened to get enough rebounds in the last few games to push his average over 10 rpg by coincidence then we'll just have to disagree on that.

Doc said:
If LeBron did this, you would be singing his praises and pointing to it as validation that he's the best. Westbrook? Oh he's chasing stats, meanwhile the team is like 20-5 this season when he does get a triple double.

Did I not just say that he should be the MVP again? That's why he won it last year so how could he not be the MVP again? It's even more historic this year. Oscar Robertson had done what Westbrook did last year. No one has ever done it two years in a row.

The fact that he won't win proves how flawed the whole voting process is. I'm glad he is exposing it. The voters get bored and chase the "new story" or vote for a guy who is "due". Or sometimes it's about "team record" (wtf?) and sometimes it isn't. That's how Barkley, Robinson, and Malone won it in the 90s and Nash won two of them in the 00s. The award pretty much means nothing with that voting process.

Doc said:
He goes after every 50/50 ball with the same effort for 82+ games.

That's a hard case to make when his rebounding suddenly got so much better in the last few games when he needed more of them to average 10 rpg. Coincidence? Watching some of the footage you'll see Adams moving out of the way to let Westbrook grab several boards.

Doc said:
(By the way, OKC, Westbrook, Durant and presumably Harden are league MVPs, you torpedo that for Ibaka?? Yikes)

Yeah...that's looking worse and worse as time goes by. OKC fans must be in perma wtf mode.

Oh...and the Curry injury has actually made the playoffs interesting. It was just assumed the Warriors would collect another ring before. But now there is actual doubt and a reason to watch the playoffs.

That's a pretty big compliment to Curry when you think about it.

...That...and the Sixers are generating something worth watching too. They probably won't get far, but I'm gonna watch.

Well in Harden's favor, I will give him props for consistency, he's been playing good all season, with no significant lull. On top of that, Houston has the best record. And yes, he's been runner-up a few times so you're right about that influencing things too.

But I know one thing, no more excuses for him, CP3 or D'Antoni, even though I believe a semi-healthy Curry is still enough to get them back to the Finals...

The end of regulation in Celtics/Bucks. Holy crap. Three 3s in a row.

Pacers take the LeBrons by 18 on the road. Holy crap!

Yeah I don't see the Cavs "turning on the switch". They've looked mediocre most of the season.

Warriors look fine without Curry again just like in 2016. Sixers took no prisoners. Interesting how those guys with no playoff experience looked a lot better in their first playoff game than the guys in Cleveland. Coaching?

At time the Cavs offense look stagnant. There's no real ball movement, too much Lebron isolation plays either to score or take & kick....which leaves his mates standing around...which mentally takes them out the game.

These are not the same Cavs.

Agreed. Oh well, they got 1 title out of those 3 NBA Finals appearances. I'm not too broken up if the Pacers beat them. These past few seasons have been more fun as a long time Cavs fan than basically any time before.

So Lebron scores 46 on 70% shooting with 12 boards and 5 assists. Victor Oladipo only plays 28 minutes due to foul trouble. Home game. Cavs win easy, right?

Nope....nail biter til the end. That's what it takes for them to win? Wow....I guess he'll have to score 50 on 80% shooting with 15 boards and 10 assists to get one on the road. I don't see how they win this series. The Pacers have got to be thinking they've got this one.

Kevin Love gets hurt TWICE and shoots 31%. What a shock.

45-12-5 70% shooting playoff games in the NBA since 1964:
LeBron James- 2
Every other player, combined- 1

10th career 40-10-5 playoff game for Lebron. Only 24 guys since '64 have 1 & no one else has more than 4.

It just might take that. Indy's no slouch, and the "upgrades" made to the roster were always a wait and see type of approach with me.

George Hill has never been anything special IMO, Same for Rodney Hood. Nance is limited in what he does, although he does it well, and Clarkson is too inconsistent to trust on this stage right now. I never understood why Lue wouldn't ride the guys who took them to the Finals consecutive years, it's essentially the same starting lineup minus Kyrie.

But again, to beat the proverbial dead horse, when LeBron is aggressive, usually great things happen. The Pacers can't stop him, virtually nobody can, when he decides to score the ball. And sometimes, that's what it takes...

Lillard needs to never talk again about how he deserves All-Star and All-NBA spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheCat
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"