NBC eyes "Dracula" series

Sawyer

Definitely Not 40
Reaction score
From Deadline Hollywood:
NBC Eyes Series Order For Dracula Drama Produced By Tony Krantz & Colin Callender
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

EXCLUSIVE: NBC is giving the classic vampire tale of Count Dracula a contemporary spin. The network has teamed with producers Tony Krantz and Colin Callender and writer Cole Haddon for a Dracula series eyed for both the U.S. and international marketplace. The project, developed for NBC and NBCU’s international channels, has a “script-to-series” commitment, meaning that it won’t go through a pilot stage but straight to series if NBC brass like the script, which is currently being written by Haddon. Dracula, produced by Krantz’s Flame Vantures, Callender’s Playground Entertainment, Universal TV and NBCU International Prods., is based on an idea by Krantz. Set in the 1890s, it is described as “Dangerous Liaisons meets The Tudors” and as a big, sweeping international soap opera that is young, sexy and supernatural. Frequent collaborators Krantz and Callender are executive producing, with Flame’s Reece Pearson co-executive producing.

In the deal for Dracula, NBC employed the same model it is using for another drama project about an iconic villain, Hannibal. That project, written by Bryan Fuller and produced by Gaumont International Television, also has a commitment for a script against 13-episode order. Both shows have pre-sold titles, along with Fuller’s Munsters reboot, which was recently picked up to pilot by NBC. Vampires have been hot on the big and the small screen lately with the blockbuster Twilight movie franchise and hit series True Blood and The Vampire Diaries. In addition to Dracula, TV producer/feature director Kratz and former HBO executive-turned-producer Callender have another drama project at NBC and Universal TV, The Fixer, based on the life of top New York attorney Edward Hayes.

Cole Haddon, repped by ICM and Anonymous Content, has experience with rebooting classic dark characters. His feature script Hyde, about an allegedly rehabilitated Dr. Jekyll, landed on the 2010 Black List. The project is being developed by Dark Horse Entertainment, Mark Gordon Prods. and Skydance Prods. Krantz is with CAA.
I was actually wondering awhile back whether or not Dracula could work as serialized television. I think/hope it will. :up:

I bet they will, I bet they will. :awesome:

Sigh....I say this every time someone does another Dracula:

Book? Anyone want to do the book? Believe it or not it's pretty good hence still being kind of known in some circles 115 YEARS LATER and all. Why not try doing the book this time? Just for once....

Turning it into a weekly serial that is "young and sexy" i.e. Twilight and the The Vampire Diaries? :doh:

Don't worry,if The Playboy Club, Free Agents, Prime Suspect, Whitney and The Firm are any indication.....well who knows. I actually think Smash will be their first non-reality show hit in years.

NBC will probably just recycle a bunch of actors from other failed projects.

Dracula - Eddie Cibrian
Van Helsing - Alfred Molina
Jonathan Harker - Jason Ritter
Mina Harker - Olivia Munn
Dr. John Seward - Jon Stamos
Lucy Westerna- Kelli Giddish
Quincey Morris - Skeet Ulrich
Arthur Holmwood - David Lyons
Renfield - Hank Azaria

NBC will probably just recycle a bunch of actors from other failed projects.

Dracula - Eddie Cibrian
Van Helsing - Alfred Molina
Jonathan Harker - Jason Ritter
Mina Harker - Olivia Munn
Dr. John Seward - Jon Stamos
Lucy Westerna- Kelli Giddish
Quincey Morris - Skeet Ulrich
Arthur Holmwood - David Lyons
Renfield - Hank Azaria

and creative personnel, as well. This steaming pile of bat guano will not be complete unless it has Bryan Fuller's name on it, somewhere.

and creative personnel, as well. This steaming pile of bat guano will not be complete unless it has Bryan Fuller's name on it, somewhere.

Never use those words in the same sentence again. :o

any other network i would have said sounds good but NBC just can't get it right.

Sigh....I say this every time someone does another Dracula:

Book? Anyone want to do the book? Believe it or not it's pretty good hence still being kind of known in some circles 115 YEARS LATER and all. Why not try doing the book this time? Just for once....

Turning it into a weekly serial that is "young and sexy" i.e. Twilight and the The Vampire Diaries? :doh:

Don't worry,if The Playboy Club, Free Agents, Prime Suspect, Whitney and The Firm are any indication.....well who knows. I actually think Smash will be their first non-reality show hit in years.

The new management was stuck with those projects when the Comcast-NBC deal closed, the new President brought Smash from Showtime. So this fall should hopefully be better.

We can pray. The future of NBC is riding on Smash's glitter-ridden shoulders.

Deadline:
NBC Orders 10-Episode ‘Dracula’ Series Starring Jonathan Rhys Meyers
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

The story of Count Dracula is coming to the small screen. NBC has given a 10-episode straight-to-series order to Dracula, with The Tudors‘ Jonathan Rhys Meyers set to play the iconic vampire. The series, from producers Tony Krantz and Colin Callender and writer Cole Haddon, is being produced for both NBC and U.K.’s Sky Living. It was originally bought by NBC in January with a “script-to-series” commitment, meaning that it wouldn’t go through a pilot stage but straight to series if NBC brass liked the script.

Dracula is produced by Krantz’s Flame Ventures, Callender’s Playground Entertainment, Universal TV and NBCU International Prods.’ Carnival Films & Television, the company behind phenom Downton Abbey. Based on an idea by Krantz, it is set in the 1890s and has been described as “Dangerous Liaisons meets The Tudors,” which is fitting given that Tudors star Meyers has been tapped to play the title role. The new series reunites Meyers with NBC topped Bob Greenblatt who cast the Irish actor in The Tudors while running Showtime. As a producer, Greenblatt gave Meyers his first starring role in the CBS telefilm Elvis, which was overseen by Universal TV EVP Bela Bajaria, then head of CBS’ movies and miniseries division.
In the NBC/Sky Living series, Dracula (Meyers) arrives in London, posing as an American entrepreneur who maintains that he wants to bring modern science to Victorian society. In reality, he hopes to wreak revenge on the people who ruined his life centuries earlier but falls hopelessly in love with a woman who seems to be a reincarnation of his dead wife. “It is a timeless tale with relevant, surprising twists and turns with the exquisite Jonathan Rhys Meyers in the marquee role,” Bajaria said.

Krantz and Callender are executive producing the series with Gareth Neame and Anne Mensah. Haddon and Flame’s Reece Pearson co-executive produce. Dracula employed the same deal model NBC used for another drama project about an iconic villain, Hannibal, which also had a commitment for a script against a series order and went to series. Dracula is the third straight-to-series drama order by NBC in the past few months following the pickups of Hannibal and Neil Cross’ Crossbones.

Vampires have been hot on the big and the small screen lately with the blockbuster Twilight movie franchise and hit series True Blood and The Vampire Diaries. Meyers is with CAA.
Is Rhys Meyers even clean and sober currently?

Just satisfied it is set in the 1890s and not 2010s.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/10/carnivale-creator-to-run-nbcs-dracula/
‘Carnivale’ Creator to Run NBC’s ‘Dracula’
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

EXCLUSIVE: Dan Knauf, creator of the cult HBO series Carnivale, has joined NBC’s upcoming 10-episode series Dracula as showrunner/head writer, working with series creator Cole Haddon.

Jonathan Rhys Meyers is set to play the iconic vampire in Dracula, which is being produced for both NBC and U.K.’s Sky Living by Tony Krantz’s Flame Ventures, Colin Callender’s Playground Entertainment, Universal TV and NBCU International Prods.’ Carnival Films & Television, the company behind phenom Downton Abbey. Based on an idea by Krantz, Dracula is set in the 1890s and is described as “Dangerous Liaisons meets The Tudors.” In it, Dracula (Meyers) arrives in London, posing as an American entrepreneur who maintains that he wants to bring modern science to Victorian society. In reality, he hopes to wreak revenge on the people who ruined his life centuries earlier but falls hopelessly in love with a woman who seems to be a reincarnation of his dead wife. Krantz and Callender are executive producing the series with Knauf, Gareth Neame and Anne Mensah. Haddon and Flame’s Reece Pearson co-executive produce.
Carnivale, you say? Alright... now I'm really impressed.

be0857120d01f32880499fbf63836cbb.jpg

Ugh, that's the same thing they did with Hannibal. I wish they would actually put some effort into these teasers.

Daniel Knauff you say.... This could be pretty badass

Jonathan Ryhs Meyers is playing Dracula? Im there! Loved his performance in the Tudors.

Dracula seems like a role JRM could really sink his teeth into.

That's just hope he didn't bite off more than he can chew by accepting this role.

Yeah, it will really suck for him if this flops. Let's hope he has some money saved in the blood bank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"