NCsoft's: Master X Master

zenith16

Avenger
Reaction score
A look at NCsoft's upcoming MOBA, Master X Master

(1 hour ago)
Betas, Game Mechanics, Previews, News Items, MOBA

Yes, another MOBA is coming out, this one by NCsoft. The game is currently in its beta test over in South Korea. Steparu took the Master X Master beta for a spin to see if the game was worth paying attention to in an already crowded field of games; rather than finding a game that was essentially a slight reskin and retune of League of Legends, she found that the gameplay is closer to a mixture of Heroes of the Storm and SMITE with third-person shooters.

The game uses a WASD control scheme whilst allowing players to tag between two characters with the Tab key, bringing in elements of team-based fighting games. It also features PvE missions for players who'd prefer to take on purely team-based challenges, further setting itself apart from the pack. Take a look at the full rundown for more details; while there's no definite release or localization date, it might be different enough from its contemporaries to pique your interest.

[YT]XU8fYWQtveo[/YT]

Gameplay - Action Combat with Tag System
The controls was a bit refreshing compared to the average point and click themed MOBA/AOS genre. Players can navigate their characters using the WASD keys and perform normal attacks with the left mouse button. Most of the skills are AoE based or skill shots so you will need to get used to the controls and dodge enemy attacks or bullets all day. No lock on feature on enemies or targets. Players able to control the direction of where they want to shoot or attack by moving the crosshair around with the mouse. I'm in love with the whole run and gun action combat theme the game has going on and it's not just limited to guns alone. Time to put those kiting and crazy maneuvering skills to the test! The auto attacks also overheat so don't mindlessly spam left click for no reason. You also get a movement speed buff when you're out of combat, which helps dodging enemy attacks or running away from a lot of enemies!
[YT]F77-unmRizA[/YT]

I wouldn't have gotten into this game so much if it wasn't for the tag system. A player can switch between their characters by pressing the TAB key. It has a very lengthy cool down, but is very useful in a lot of situations. For example, your idle character will slowly regen HP while it's sitting on the bench. You can also switch characters instantly and perform combos almost like Tekken Tag Tournament! Pick two characters and stun lock the enemy for fun with perfectly timed combos and stuff. A melee or tanking character is suddenly charging at you? No problem, switch to your 2nd character to fend them off or kill them! Certain characters counter each other so it's best to experiment around.

PvE Content - Almost like a MORPG
I wasn't really following this game at all and was surprised that the game had a decent amount of PvE content. Most of the PvE content is mission based with over 25 various maps including five difficulty settings from easy to extreme modes for the hardcore players. In PvE, players can collect equipable rare runes that can boost their characters stats in both in PvE and PvP, a bit similar to Blade & Souls Bopae system. You would want to focus on both the PvE and PvP aspects of the game. Special characters are also unlocked through PvE and achievements! For example, the Popstar girl named Vita requires players to beat various stages in extreme mode. Unlocking Blade & Souls Online's Pohwaran requires Eye Patch's dropped from the boss herself in the exclusive MXM B&S Sea Serpent Supply Base dungeon. Lastly, players can also collect rare materials to upgrade weapons for their characters! Boss fights are extremely fun and challenging as seen below.

[YT]xjNqPcAyn9c[/YT]

Team Death Match PvP - Combat Training and Destroy the Enemy Team
MXM offered a variety of PvP modes and I enjoyed playing them all. Players who are looking for a quick match can jump straight into the Combat Training room a Team Death Match simulation. The team that scores the most frags by the end of the timer wins!

[YT]IkKLg4jWrRo[/YT]

Point Control Mode PvP - Control, Protect, and Deny the Enemy Team
In this mode players must seize control of certain nodes on the map by walking up to it and channeling the F key until the area is claimed. The more nodes your team controls the faster you will accumulate points to victory. The team with the most points at the end of the match wins or the first team to obtain a total of 500 points wins by default.

[YT]nXMtlhFcT0o[/YT]

Ruins of the Titan PvP - Three Lanes with Random Giant Titans in the Middle Lane
MXM is not going to be a MOBA/AOS type of game if it didn't have some form of a classical three lane type of map and that is called Ruins of the Titan. What made this mode a bit unique compared to games of this genre is that you can't purchase any items during the match. You don't have to worry about players having decked out items and such. It made my beta experience a lot easier because I wouldn't have a clue on which items to buy! Your team can summon Titans by killing a special monster in the Arena a bit similar to Roshan or Baron or through a summoning stone located on both the West and East side of the map. Matches felt balanced during the 1st Beta, though I can't say the same once the game is released and everyone has bought stuff through the cash shop or farmed items from PvE.

source: Massively

Master X Master MOBA getting a mobile version as well

(15 hours ago)
Betas, Fantasy, Trailers, Video, Free-to-Play, Mobile, MOBA

It might just be the theme of this year's G-Star: online PC games announcing mobile versions. It's at least true for NCsoft's Master X Master, which should be coming some time after the MOBA's launch.

Master X Master is NCsoft's first internally developed MOBA and is being planned for multiple platforms. The mega-publisher is utilizing cloud technology to create a global platform that will run Master X Master and other titles.

We've got the new Master X Master G-Star trailer for you to check out after the break! [YT]2bLsnNderfs [/YT] Continue Reading

generic.png

General : NCSoft's Master X Master is More Than Just Another MOBA

Posted Nov 26, 2015

MOBAs are the hottest new genre that it seems like every company needs to develop a game for, and NCsoft is no different. The key thing here is that Master X Master, which was announced some years ago and is expected to arrive in the latter half of 2016, isn't just another MOBA. As part of my trip to Korea to check out NCsoft's headquarters in Pangyo, South Korea, we also attended the annual Korean video game trade show G Star in Busan which is just like PAX in Seattle but with way more booth babes. Amid the hustle and bustle of the show floor, I was given roughly a half hour of hands on time with Master X Master, including a preview of its PvE and PvP elements.
Read more of Steven Messner's Master X Master: More Than Just Another MOBA.
Going into the demo, I have to say I was pretty apathetic toward the game. When we found out we would be seeing it earlier in the week, it was hard not to roll my eyes at the thought of another MOBA coming in and trying to steal the crowns worn by Dota 2 and League of Legends. But after that half hour, I walked away infinitely more optimistic for Master X Master. Structurally the game shares a lot in common with other MOBAs, but the execution is different enough that I'm willing to bet that MXM will find its own audience of players.
The biggest difference is that where most purebred MOBAs are unapologetically competitive, Master X Master borrows heavily from action RPGs like Marvel Heroes 2015 and Diablo 3. While the competitive modes that the genre is known for still reside at the heart of the game, Master X Master will likely appeal to an audience who wants to play that style of game but is pushed away by how unflinchingly obtuse and brutal they can be.
MXM1_t.jpg

This accessibility is partially aided by the fact that MXM isn't strictly a competitive multiplayer experience. The first demo we were shown was a cooperative mode that pitted myself and two others with clearing out a dungeon that was an accurate recreation of the dungeon I previewed from Blade and Soul earlier in the week, even down to the final boss. This is intentional because one big aesthetic feature of MXM is that, along with all of the original heroes which will be included in the game, players can also choose to play as several familiar faces from other NCsoft games. Though the version we were playing wasn't localized in English, I quickly recognized a Chua from Wildstar alongside characters I from Blade and Soul and Lineage. NCsoft even confirmed they were looking to partner with other companies to bring their characters to the game, but had no more specifics to share.
The cooperative mode we played was the first big sign that MXM wasn't going to be your typical MOBA experience. For one, you control your characters directly with the keyboard while the mouse is used to aim your attacks—MXM is essentially a twin stick shooter as you can move and shoot in different directions simultaneously. This meant the action already felt far more immediate than the more disconnected "click to move" controls of most other MOBAs.
The other big tweak to the formula is that every mode has you choose two characters who you can switch between at any time after a small cool down. The ability to quickly swap characters on the fly immediately cracks character strategy wide open, though the short demo and lack of English localization meant I hardly was able to explore the depth of this system. Either way, I can already anticipate how deeply it will change your approach to building team compositions in competitive matches.
The cooperative modes that we played largely felt like something from Diablo 3 or Marvel Heroes 2015. We moved through hallways killing hordes of monsters while dodging their attacks. Dodging was a huge aspect of survival, as most monsters we encountered had abilities that they would use generously that could severely damage an unwary player.
MXM2.JPG

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/10329/page/2/page/2
http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/10329/page/2/page/2
Head on to Page 2 to learn more about Master X Master!

Though the mode was fun, aside from the controls and the wrinkle of swapping characters on the fly, it felt very formulaic. Items would occasionally drop, and I had an inventory full of things with names I couldn't read. Looking at it though, it was easy to see how MXM would likely adhere to the standard template of free-to-play online games—especially Marvel Heroes. You'll likely spend a lot of time running missions with your friends and grinding for rare item drops, but I was unable to tell exactly how items affect your progress and the game. When I asked one of the lead developers about it during a group interview, I was told that progress made in cooperative modes would affect your character in competitive modes—perhaps something akin to League of Legends' rune system?
While the cooperative mode was fun, it was immediately eclipsed by the frantic action of the deathmatch mode we played shortly after. My team of three was thrust into an arena against three other players where we brawled for supremacy. Though the arena itself wasn't overly interesting, the character swapping quickly brought to light the potential for some deep strategy when choosing the composition of your team. Swapping between heroes means you can immediately access the abilities of two heroes nearly simultaneously, setting yourself up for some powerful maneuvers or choosing two heroes who cover the other's weakness. If someone is taking shots at you from range, swapping to a ranged hero would be a viable tactic. Each hero also has their own health and energy resources to draw from, so swapping becomes a necessity during prolonged fights to prevent dying.
That said, being that we couldn't really read anything on screen, we were basically left to brawl it out and figure things out as we went. The arena had teleport spots scattered around the map that could allow you to warp from one corner to the next with ease, allowing for a quick escape or trapping a fleeing opponent.
MXM3_t.jpg

When our demo was over, I stayed around to watch a tournament that was taking place in the NCsoft booth and broadcast to a large TV for passerbys to watch. Being in a different language, it was hard to interpret anything of note, but as neutered of a statement as it sounds, MXM definitely looks like a competent MOBA hybrid.
What remains to be seen now is whether the twist of swapping characters and the addition of cooperative dungeon runs will be enough to set it apart from the rest of the pack. Already we've seen new contenders crash and burn (looking at you Dawngate), and a part of me wonders if MXM is already way too late for the MOBA goldrush. But at the same time, being a free-to-play game that looks fully willing to adopt the tried and true formula of every other free-to-play game that has come out recently, I almost think that MXM will do just fine regardless. If you're on the hunt for another free-to-play action RPG, MXM looks like a perfectly fine suitor to play around with. I loved how the controls and character swapping deeply impacted the experience, making it feel different enough than just about any other MOBA on the market. But I know enough to know that MXM isn't going to coast to the top on these two aspects alone. With an open beta expected to arrive in the first half of 2016, only time will tell if NCsoft's take on Heroes of the Storm will find its footing among the already crowded genre.
Permalink | 6 Comments

Read more at http://www.mmorpg.com/newsroom.cfm#9Ak5HEw4tyBZm35l.99

source: MMORPG.com

generic.png

General : Master X Master - A New Direction in the MOBA Genre

Posted Jan 27, 2016 by Suzie Ford

Master X Master is the latest entry into the MOBA market for NCSoft. The game separates itself from the classic MOBA design by working a very strong action RPG style into its build. Players will not only be able to compete in matches, but also play through scenarios in co-op mode. Adding these two mechanics into a fresh MOBA design along with fun characters from NCSoft classics like Guild Wars and Blade & Soul, and you have a new direction in the MOBA genre.
Read more of Garrett Fuller's Master X Master: A New Direction in the MOBA Genre.
A few weeks ago we got the chance to sit down and check out NCSoft’s latest MOBA MXM, short for Master X Master. The game takes both original characters and some classic NCSoft favorites into a combined world where players can compete in matches across different maps. Aside from the traditional MOBA style the game offers some PvE elements which will give players the chance to enjoy the game without having to face off against the hardcore community of MOBA players.

[YT]kDwoasYgoC0[/YT]
We sat down for the demo of MXM and had a great time playing through the basic tutorial to get started on our first match. The game feels a lot more like an action RPG than a MOBA at its core which really separates it from the bigger more RTS-like games out there. You can choose from a cast of characters that are both original and have some NCSoft favorite from Blade & Soul and Guild Wars 2.

The tutorial demo helped getting us ready by showing basic attacks, area of effect impacts and allowed for us to boost our teamwork when facing foes. This co-op mode will be available right from the beginning of the game and keeps to the action RPG fans happy. Fighting different monsters as well as a boss at the end felt a lot more like a dungeon than a MOBA. It is this reason alone that MXM should stand out beyond the market. These types of instances make for some great gameplay.

MXM2_t.jpg

Once inside the match we set up in the normal team dynamic for a MOBA. Each player got to choose two characters, if one character was in trouble you could quickly switch. This tag-team feature kept you in the game a lot longer and gave our team much more freedom when facing up in different scenarios within the match.

The game played out in normal MOBA fashion, attacking towers and NPCs while facing the other heroes on the map. We did well, I switched between two characters which made it fun. One was a ranged DPS style, the other a tank like brawler who pulled targets in and then beat them up. It was a nice mix going into the game with both styles.

[YT]kDwoasYgoC0[/YT]

The official reveal trailer
MXM will be an interesting addition to the MOBA market. There are a slew of new games are coming out right now with League of Legends and DOTA 2 pulling in such high numbers, so it'll be interesting to see if MXM can compete. The game really does separate itself with the the ARPG elements giving players some fun environments to explore and play PVE in as well as PVP. If the team continues to expand on this aspect while keep the MOBA portion fun and exciting, NCSoft could break into a very difficult and saturated market right.

Author: Garrett Fuller
Created: January 27, 2016
Permalink | 3 Comments

Read more at http://www.mmorpg.com/newsroom.cfm/page/2#Riv0bX5Ot5AF2hhq.99

PAX East 2016: Hands-on with NCsoft’s Master x Master

April 26, 2016 13 Comments

Master x Master might very well be the MOBA that I learn to love in spite of any and all preconceptions.

I am not, categorically, a fan of MOBAs. This is not news. It’s not a moral stance of any sort; the genre, as a whole, just holds very little appeal. Master x Master had that to overcome right from the starting gate, along with the reality that the game’s very nature didn’t sound to appealing. A mascot-based MOBA based on NCsoft properties, most of which have very little resonance for me in the first place? I can live without that.

Walking away from the demo I had with the game, I’m humming an altogether different tune. The game actually exists in an odd hybrid space between MOBA gameplay, twin-stick shooters, and cooperative ARPG gameplay in more ways than one, and its “mascot” nature has been vastly overstated. What I’ve seen and played thus far is smart, fun, and almost everything I would have asked for from a genre that I normally don’t have much interest in.
Read more

source: Massivelyop.com/
http://massivelyop.com/2016/04/26/hands-on-with-ncsofts-master-x-master/

Master x Master spotlights the support abilities of Demenos

May 20, 2016 4 Comments

Do you ever wonder about how characters in MOBAs go to the bathroom? The newest video highlighting Master x Master‘s support caster Demenos makes it a relevant question. Sure, form-fitting bodysuits raise questions, but at least the people wearing them have roughly human anatomy.

Demenos is just a floating idealized torso from the waist up. What happens if he’s out drinking all evening and really needs a stop in the restroom? Does he just slink behind an alley and do something that you don’t want to watch happen?

If you would rather not consider these questions, you can focus instead upon what Demenos does in battle, which is support people. And he’s good at it, too; depending on his build and abilities, he can act as a healer, crowd control, or straight-up damage. Check him out in action in the full video just past the break, which does nothing to answer any burning questions you might have about how the heck his digestive system works as just a floating torso.
Read more

Master X Master introduces Innowin and a livestreamed tournament

May 25, 2016 9 Comments

http://massivelyop.com/tag/master-x-master
http://massivelyop.com/tag/master-x-master
Master X Master continues its tour of the playable heroes within with the introduction of Innowin, a scout and damage-dealer who prefers that enemies never see her coming. Not because she’s stealthy, mind you, but because she’d rather dispatch her enemies from long range with her personal particle acceleration cannon before said enemies can even consider her presence. You can see her strut her stuff in a new video just below.

But the game isn’t just about watching individual heroes strut around, it’s about seeing the characters act in concert. You’ll be able to see what the game’s PvP side looks like in depth in an upcoming livestream tournament, starting at 8:30 p.m. EDT on Thursday, May 26th. Players will be introduced to the game, then will form teams and take one another on in the Titan Ruins map, giving fans an idea of what the game will look like when it’s open to the public.
Read more

http://massivelyop.com/2016/05/25/master-x-master-introduces-innowin-and-a-livestreamed-tournament/

Master X Master introduces WildStar’s Mondo Zax

June 2, 2016 12 Comments

One of the hooks of NCsoft’s upcoming Master X Master MOBA is that it pulls its heroes from all of NCsoft’s games — and that includes WildStar. Today, the studio has revealed WildStar’s iconic Chua mad scientist Mondo Zax. NCsoft calls Mondo an “aggressive support master who summons mechanical creations to assist him and his allies.”
“Mondo can dish out bursts of damage while shielding and buffing himself and his allies. Mondo uses a modified bolt caster, which fires out medium-range projectiles and can be charged to fire up to three bolts simultaneously. […] Each of Mondo’s main skills summons a bot that follows Mondo around and has both an active and passive element to it.”
His ultimate? Yeah it’s basically a giant mobile laser beam. Pew pew! Watch his “Meet the Masters” video below.
Read more

http://massivelyop.com/2016/06/02/master-x-master-introduces-wildstars-mondo-zax/

Master X Master’s first alpha is locked in for June 21

June 9, 2016 4 Comments

NCsoft has announced that the first western alpha playtest for its IP-spanning MOBA Master X Master will kick off on June 21st.

“We’ll be focusing the test on a selection of masters and game modes; primarily offering 3v3 and 5v5 PvP game modes, but a selection of PvE stages will also be available to fight your way through,” NCsoft writes. “We’ll also be joining you in the test all weekend as NCSOFT West employees, as well as developers from our Korea offices (and other special guests), will be livestreaming throughout the entire test.”

The studio says players will be able to pick up keys from various media outlets as well as to select newsletter subscribers.
Read more

E3 2016: Master X Master might be the most MMO-like MOBA around

June 21, 2016 8 Comments

Despite Eliot’s positive experience with Master X Master at PAX East back in April, I went into my demo at this year’s E3 expecting very little. While I’m far from a MOBA master, I’ve sunk some time into several non-mainstream titles hoping to spice up the genre and rarely stick with them for long. Happily, though MXM may suffer the same fate for me personally, I’m already feeling confident that I can recommend the title to Massively OP readers.

Don’t call it a mascot fighter

One thing I think that might be best for the game from a sales perspective is this emphasis on calling it a mascot fighter. Think of it like Who Framed Roger Rabbit?: There are cameos from famous people, but most of the movie revolves around original characters. MXM is much the same, so when you read character introductions outside of the game and don’t have a clue which NCsoft title they’re from, just assume they’re an original. There’s nothing intentionally misleading about this, as apparently my guide didn’t realize the out-of-game press made no emphasis to highlight this distinction (even the Asian websites lack this information on the character pages).

Read more

generic.png

General : E3 2016 - MXM Has a Unique Twist on a Tiring Concept

Posted Jun 22, 2016 by Suzie Ford

I need to confess, when NCsoft first showed me MXM last year I was pretty skeptical. While the version we played wasn't localized, it was evident that NCsoft was trying to push into the free-to-play space of other MOBAs—which at the time seemed like an awful idea to me. But MXM isn't a MOBA, it smartly borrows some of those ideas, a few more from action RPGs, and then even a sprinkling from MMOs, and turns that all into something that so far feels distinct and different.
Read more of Steven Messner's E3 2016: MXM Has a Unique Twist on a Tiring Concept.
I got to go hands on with MXM at E3 in LA, thankfully this time in English, and I walked away feeling optimistic that this wasn't just a "us too!" attempt from NCsoft to cash into the MOBA hype. And I mean, that's exactly what MXM could have been: just another MOBA with a subtle twist that's expected to go toe-to-toe with giants like DOTA 2. But MXM smartly skirts that in such a way that I almost hesitate to call it a MOBA altogether.
The demo I played started off with MXM's brand manager and I jumping into a cooperative mission mode together. And, unsurprisingly, they're basically just dungeons from any other MMORPG. Groups of monsters cluster together to form different kinds of pulls, we needed to lightly manage aggro and make sure not to accidentally pull too many. There's even optional areas where extra tough monsters may spawn from time to time. And of course, at the end, a boss battle caps it all off.
The first obvious twist to MXM is that you actually play two separate characters that you can freely rotate between with a cooldown. While the hero pool isn't huge right now, being able to swap puts the emphasis on how well your two heroes complement one another instead of just focusing on one's abilities. I like thinking more about synergies between my choices rather than just puzzling out how my one hero plays. It's also a great way of injecting a sliver of variety into combat. If I feel like I'm bored of a melee character, I can always swap to a second ranged character instead.
[FONT=arial !important]
MXM1_t.jpg

Each hero has abilities that can be augmented or rotated out, giving them quite a bit of depth when building them before jumping into a mission. I'll admit, my eyes tend to glaze over when I look at this stuff during demos, if only because it often veers into information overload territory. Still, while I wasn't hastily jotting down notes on how to build Mondo Zax, It seems to be that kind of approachable depth where players who aren't overly interested in it don't need to theorycraft just to have fun.
Speaking on Mondo Zax, yeah, he's in the game. MXM pulls in characters from all across the NCsoft sphere of gaming in something like a Smash Bros-eque character mashup. Only, aside from Mondo Zax and a few other notables, you're going to need to be familiar with NCsoft characters in a way that I fear so few will. I mean, I've been playing MMORPGs since I can remember, and many of the characters from Lineage, Aion, and elsewhere go right over my head. And the ones I do recognize don't inspire any kind of attachment from me.
That isn't a bad thing per se, just that I feel like MXM is desperately trying to engender some sense of cohesion across NCsoft brands that absolutely will never exist. With Nintendo, it works because those are characters who we grew up with and thematically fit together quite well. It's a smorgasbord of the most iconic characters in video game history fighting together. With NCsoft, I don't feel much of anything looking at its roster.
I only bring this up because of all of MXM's ideas I've been exposed to, it's the one that feels the most shoehorned in. But everything else feels quite natural, and it ends up being a lot of fun because of it.
In the mission we ran together, I was stricken by how much it felt like a MMO-lite—and yes that's a good thing. While at first it feels a little slow pulling small groups of monsters and quickly chewing through them, we quickly reached points where we were outnumbered five to one, and the overlapping monster abilities really started to shine. There were snipers that could also cast walls that would stun us, other creatures would be super aggressive and rush us, and others still would sometimes trigger a deadly explosion that we'd have to try and avoid.
[FONT=arial !important]
MXM2_t.jpg

It's here that I'm so grateful that MXM opted for a direct control scheme using WASD rather than mouse clicks to move your character. It's basically a twin stick shooter where you can move and aim in separate directions at all times, and it works really well. Every master also has their own dodge ability, which is crucial for getting out of tight spots. One of my personal favorites, Poharan from Blade and Soul, has a cool ability where she flips through the air while shooting everything beneath her, acting as both a forward-moving dodge and an attack.
At the end of the dungeon we squared off against a boss who, just like in a real MMORPG, had a complicated rotation of abilities that we quickly had to adapt to. Only, where a lot of MMOs will simply punish you for not memorizing the rotation, here it felt like the emphasis was on being reactive. As her abilities triggered, we were quickly learning to have to adapt and keep pace, and when we took too much damage, we could quickly swap to our next hero.
Admittedly, the one thing I haven't had a chance to experience is MXM's economy or financial aspects. NCsoft announced as E3 that MXM would indeed be free-to-play, to the surprise of no one, but there's obviously a lot that can either make that a good thing or a bad thing. The only real indication I have one way or the other was the mission I demoed, where at the end I was given a wall of hidden loot that I could randomly select as a kind of lottery (show him what's behind door number 23, Bob!) But it's hard to get a sense for what the progression will be like and how much you'll feel forced to spend. When starting, MXM will give you two free heroes (everyone gets the same ones), a third hero of your choice, and then there's a rotating pool of heroes that are available. Considering that the hero pool isn't huge, that actually means you'll probably get quite a bit of facetime with each one.
In PVP modes, NCsoft has told me that there's no vertical progression to consider, so you won't have to worry about other heroes overpowering you because they've spent more money in the game. However, in PVE, where you're cooperating, there are ways to make your hero more powerful, so that's likely where we'll see the crux of the progression outside of cosmetics or unlocking new heroes.
While others might feel differently, I'm betting that MXM's free-to-playness will be pretty fair. While I'm not always the biggest fan of NCsoft games, few of them have given me cause to be outright mistrustful. I mean, Wildstar is basically the paragon of free-to-play, so my hope is that MXM follows a similar trend. Regardless, there's a closed alpha test starting on the 24th, so if you're interested you can check that out to see the game in action. Otherwise you can join me in eagerly awaiting MXM's full launch later this year.

Steven Messner / Steven is a Canadian freelance writer and EVE Online evangelist, spreading the good news of internet spaceships far and wide. In his spare time, he enjoys writing overly ambitious science fiction and retweeting pictures of goats. Speaking of retweeting, you should probably drop everything and go follow him on Twitter @StevenMessner
Author: Steven Messner
Created: June 22, 2016

Permalink | 5 Comments

[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Read more at http://www.mmorpg.com/newsroom.cfm#UvTR5jTOHQBQ5RUu.99

Also with

generic.png

General : MXM Alpha Test Keys Giveaway!

Posted Jun 22, 2016

NCSOFT is holding the first closed test for Master X Master (MXM), and we have codes to get you access!

MXM is an upcoming action MOBA with a revolutionary TAG system – which allows you to swap between two characters mid-combat – multiplying your depth of strategy. With a diverse selection of Masters to choose from – including brand new characters as well as known characters from NCSOFT titles like Blade & Soul and Guild Wars 2 – and a variety of PvE and PvP modes with co-op options in both, players can challenge opponents with a deadly fusion of Masters in beautifully crafted battlegrounds.

The MXM Alpha Playtest 1 runs from June 24-27, beginning at 10am PDT and closing at 4pm PDT on the 27. The test will be focused on a selection of masters and game modes; primarily offering 3v3 and 5v5 PvP game modes, but a selection of PvE stages will also be available to fight your way through. There will be additional tests in the future, but these codes will only give you access to this first playtest.
There is no NDA on this test so players are free to share impressions, stream and more, and please keep in mind this is an early Alpha test.
For more information on the game and Masters in game, head to the website: http://www.playmxm.com/en
CLICK HERE TO GET YOUR ALPHA TEST KEY NOW!

Permalink | 5 Comments

Read more at http://www.mmorpg.com/newsroom.cfm#UvTR5jTOHQBQ5RUu.99

MXM : NCSoft’s Latest is a Pleasant Surprise

Posted Jun 27, 2016

I didn’t really know what to expect when I logged into Master X Master (MXM) this weekend for the first ever Alpha weekend test. Fact is, I kind of just assumed it would be “yet another MOBA” with tacked on PVE missions. After spending some time in the game this weekend, it turns out it’s a lot more and quite fun to play.
Read more of Bill Murphy's MXM: Master X Master - NCSoft's Latest is a Pleasant Surprise.
MXM is a MOBA, with tons of heroes to earn and master, each with their own unique skills and strengths and weaknesses. Players of DOTA, League, HotS, and so forth will immediately be familiar with that part of the game. The controls are more like a twin-stuck shooter, as Steven Messner put it in his E3 hands on, and that really makes all the difference for someone like me who’s sick to death of click to move top down games. I even prefer to play Marvel Heroes and Diablo 3 with controllers when possible because it feels less repetitive and more engaging.
[FONT=arial !important]
11866_MXM_t.jpg

WASD moves your chosen Master, and left click holding uses your standard auto-attack with the mouse pointer being where you aim. R activates your ultimate skill, while Q and E activate your Master’s skills. It’s simple, straightforward but works really well. Oh, and you can jump! There’s not a whole lot of verticality in the gameplay, but getting higher than your opponents on a map can mean the difference between victory and death.
Heroes range from the original to many from the NCSOFT IP, including a WildStar fan favorite, Mondo Zax. I worry that NCSOFT’s IP is far too niche here in the West to matter much, and wonder if they’d be served well to license some other heroes into the universe too. If you can believe it, there’s a whole story behind the game’s PVE campaign, while the PVP is all about just competitive eSports. It seems your home world is overrun by bad aliens, and you’re taking it back. But even heroes need to let off steam and that’s what the 3v3 MOBA-like arenas are for.
While you don’t create your own character, the game’s hub city is akin to games like Vindictus – you and other players can gather, trade, chat, and horse around between PVE or PVP matches. You can pick any one of your purchased or unlocked heroes to represent your avatar in the game world. In this way, I’d say MXM is a lot more of an MMO than any other MOBA we’ve covered. It’s a hybrid ARPG, MMO, MOBA and proud of it.
MXM also feels like it would be right at home on consoles, even mobile devices. The interstitial screens between tutorial missions that tell stories are like JRPG conversations, with drawn avatars talking in text and the player pressing next to continue on. It looks like something you’d tap the screen to skip, you know what I mean? And the controls would easily translate to a mobile device too. I’d wager it’s possibly in the making for MXM – a mobile release. But if there’s one place I really think NCSOFT should consider releasing the game, it’s PS4 and XB1. The game would do killer there.
[FONT=arial !important]
11866_MXM_2_t.jpg
[/FONT]
One final interesting twist to MXM is that it uses a “tag” system like in Pro Wrestling where instead of picking one character and sticking with them for a full mission or match, you can pick two and swap between them by scrolling the mousewheel. There's a slight cool down, but the two heroes’ HP are not shared so when one is close to death it makes total sense to swap to the other and live to fight another day. My own strategy so far has been to have a good ranged attacker as well as a tough melee tank. With a good support friend, I can be nigh unkillable unless the other team focus fires.
The first alpha is over today, but I’ll admit. It’s got me hooked. For how long remains to be seen, as I’m not a serial MOBA player, despite enjoying them. Still MXM’s quick 5 minute matches, PVE campaign and dungeon-running with friends are enough to give me the right amount of fun when my time is too short to dive into a deeper more traditional MMO. I’ve got a lot still to figure out about MXM’s systems and to see how its monetized beyond buying new Masters, but so far it’s been a really pleasant surprise. I know we’re all really waiting for Lineage Eternal, and we wonder just what the heck MXM is and why we should we care. But NCSOFT’s latest game does enough different in the MOBA genre to stand out, and its action is both palatable and fun. I’ll certainly be playing in future alphas, and can’t wait to see how it evolves in full release.
[/FONT]

William Murphy / Bill is the Managing Editor of MMORPG.com, RTSGuru.com, and lover of all things gaming. He's been playing and writing about MMOs and geekery since 2002. Be sure to follow him on Twitter for all of his pointless rambling.
Article By: William Murphy
Created On: June 27, 2016

Permalink | 38 Comments

Read more at http://www.mmorpg.com/newsroom.cfm/page/2#O7xAxmp6JC7qit7M.99

Master X Master highlights Poharan and Kromede

July 28, 2016 5 Comments

There’s more to Master X Master than just bringing in characters from several NCsoft games under the same roof, but that is still part of the game’s purpose.

The two latest heroes to be revealed are both expatriates from other games. Poharan is the vice admiral of the Black Ram in Blade & Soul, while Kromede is a boss players face off against in Aion. And now they’re both ranged fighters in MxM‘s various modes.

Poharan serves as a long-range attacker, with several skills to slow enemies or otherwise keep her distance; her attacks lose their potency against close-range opponents. Kromede, meanwhile, is focused more on the mid-range with high damage.

Her bow attacks will inflict bleeding on enemies that are slowed, stunned, or otherwise snared, while other abilities in her arsenal deal more damage to bleeding targets. Check out both of the characters in action just below. Read more

Check out Master X Master’s wicked PvE side

August 1, 2016 1 Comment

Astute readers out there might recall that one of the reasons Master X Master is getting so much word-of-mouth praise is how the MOBA plays and feels much like an MMO, offering a potential bridge between the two genres. The fact that the game has a dedicated PvE mode definitely helps in that area.

As MXM transitions from alpha into beta, Steparu took some time to play and record PvE gameplay footage. The video montage covers several environments and shows how the game functions much like an ARPG at times. So drink in nearly three minutes of intense PvE gameplay action after the jump!
Read more

Master X Master’s next alpha test includes minigames and Guild Wars 2 stage

August 24, 2016 Justin Olivetti 12 Comments

Master X Master’s third alpha playtest kicks off tomorrow, and according to the game’s developers, it looks to be a significant milestone for the game. Guild Wars 2 players, you might want to pay attention to this.
“We’re inviting everyone to come experience Master X Master,” NCsoft said, “including new European servers, German and French localization, the same great PvE stages and PvP modes, and a first look at the minigames mode and the Guild Wars 2 Ascalon event stage!”
Minigames? Yes indeed, there will be bunch of crazy stages to complete in this mode, including candy rush, jump rope, and bullet hell. The Alpha 3 playtest will run from August 25th through the 31st. To whet your appetite for this weekend’s alpha playtest, we’ve got a host of screenshots and a trio of videos for you below!

Read more

The Stream Team: Master X Master’s minigames

August 31, 2016 4 Comments

Master X Master is wrapping up another alpha, but not before MassivelyOP’s MJ makes it in for a few rounds. How have things developed since her last foray into the game? Well, for starters there are minigames! Some involve candy; others involve jumping rope.

Basically, it sounds like plenty of trouble for MJ to get into.

Tune in live at 4:00 p.m. to check out these new little games within the game.
What: Master X Master
Who: MJ Guthrie
When: 4:00 p.m. EDT on Wednesday, August 31st, 2016
Read more

Master x Master plans PvP beta testing for late November

November 2, 2016 Leave a comment

There’s a lot of PvE content in Master x Master, but the game is still technically a MOBA, and that means facing off against other players on multi-lane PvP maps. The next beta test for the game will focus on exactly that, with players taking on the Titan Ruins map and its particular twist on the three-lane format by summoning the eponymous Titans and smashing through the opponent’s defenses. This test will run from November 22nd to 28th.

Servers for the test will only be available during certain hours; 4:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m. EST for the North American servers and 2:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. UTC for European servers. Ranked play will also be available, with players earning the “Alpha Incarnate” title for launch as a reward for winning five ranked matches. The test will also introduce Nedien and Tulam to the game’s roster, providing different options for team composition and hero setups. Keep your eyes peeled for more information on the characters as we get closer to the test toward the end of the month.
Read more

Via : Massivelyop.com/

source: NCsoft press release

Master X Master tests its Titan Ruins this weekend

November 23, 2016 4 Comments

NCsoft’s upcoming Master X Master is thankful for a chance to squeeze in another playtest this week. The MOBA is currently running an alpha test through November 28th in both North America and Europe.

The playtest is centered around the Titan Ruins, a 5v5, three-lane PvP mode. “None of the previous alpha data will be available for this test as we want to have a fresh look and feedback on Titan Ruins,” NCsoft said. “We’ll be removing the level requirement for Titan Ruins and ranked mode for this test, as well as unlocking all masters for play immediately.”

Speaking of masters, two new characters — Nedien and Tulam — are available to play in this test. If you didn’t get in, don’t fret: The beta and launch for Master X Master are coming in 2017.
Read more

Also with

The Stream Team: A holiday serving of Master X Master alpha

November 24, 2016 1 Comment

One thing Massively OP‘s MJ is thankful for is the ability to peek into new and developing games to see what they are up to. And with Master X Master’s fourth alpha this weekend, she gets to do exactly that! The focus of this playtest is the 5v5, three-lane PvP mode called Titan Ruins. How will MJ do in this game mode? Tune in live at 8:00 p.m. as OPTV‘s infamous Stream Team brings you another look at…
What: Master X Master
Who: MJ Guthrie
When: 8:00 p.m. EST on Thursday, November 24th, 2016
Enjoy the show!
Read more

edit posted already.

Last edited:
Master x Master introduces Koom and Vonak

March 19, 2017 4 comments

[YT]5k2NYiXHK0o[/YT]

Eager to know when everyone gets to play Master x Master? We can't tell you that, on account of not actually knowing. Still, the game is introducing us to two new heroes, so forward motion is still happening! This pair is Koom, an enormous stone juggernaut, and Vonak, a spindly guy with a popped collar and two guns. Care to guess which one is the defensive hero and which one is the assault?

[YT]myrU2b4I2gY[/YT]
Meet the Masters: Vonak

• 1,453 views1 week ago

That's not a trick question, by the way. It's pretty obvious. Koom is a huge dude made of stone, he's all about defense.

That should not be a difficult evaluation.

As always, the videos for both characters show off their abilities and some of the customizations available for the characters to tweak abilities and attack. You can check out both videos down below, and presumably join the "eagerly waiting for a beta announcement" crowd.
Read more

Also with

City of Heroes's Statesman playable in MOBA Master X Master's next beta, starting April 6

[YT]ra7O7LqNh5w[/YT]

MXM: A Hero Returns

• 882 views16 hours ago
10 hours ago

NCSoft West’s forthcoming MOBA, Master X Master (MXM), is about to open its doors to the public once more with a three-week beta test. During...Read more

source: GI& PCGN

Last edited:
20_32.png

The Statesman in MXM is a Disservice to City of Heroes Fans

Posted Mar 22, 2017

General | Editorials | 38 Comments

I'm sure it came with noble intentions. NCSOFT knows how much hurt is still felt by the too-soon closure of Cryptic/Paragon's City of Heroes. So when they saw a chance to bring a beloved character from that IP into their upcoming all-star MOBA, they probably leapt at the idea. "We can make those fans happy!" they said. "We can make this game appealing in the West at the same time!" they exclaimed. But that's not quite how it's being seen by the community.Read more

also with

Here's why everyone's pissed off about City of Heroes NPCs in NCsoft's MOBA

March 22, 2017 222 comments

Yesterday, NCsoft took the lid off a secret it's clearly been working on for a while: The company means to introduce a notorious and well-known City of Heroes NPC as one of the characters in its upcoming MOBA, Master x Master.

Here's the thing. Master x Master is actually pretty well-liked around here. The writers we've sent to test it out the past few years came away thinking it was an excellent hybrid PvE MOBA with a lot of MMO elements, a genuinely good entry to the market and something we're happy to cover. So I don't think anyone wishes it, specifically, harm.
But NCsoft? I don't know who told you this was a good idea. It's really not a good idea.
Read more

source: MMORPG.com& Massivelyop.com/

Massively Overthinking: The City of Heroes Master X Master debacle

March 23, 2017 19 comments

On Tuesday, NCsoft announced that it plans to introduce Statesman, from the long-sunsetted City of Heroes, as a playable character in its MOBA, Master x Master.
Complications ensued, as anyone familiar with the history of MMORPGs can probably imagine.

For this week's Overthinking, I asked our team of writers -- both those who loved CoH and those who never much played it -- what they think about the whole ordeal. Are gamers right to be angry? What exactly is NCsoft thinking? Have we seen the end of any hope of the game being resurrected or sold, or should we infer just the opposite?
Read more

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"