Nearly 2400 free MS-DOS games playable in browser

KevanG

Pragmatic Villain
Reaction score
http://www.pcgamer.com/nearly-2400-ms-dos-games-are-now-playable-in-your-browser/

The gigantic collection of oldies comes to us courtesy of the Internet Archive, along with a warning from curator Jason Scott that it may at times be a bumpy ride. "Some of them will still fall over and die, and many of them might be weird to play in a browser window, and of course you can’t really save things off for later, and that will limit things too," he wrote. "But on the whole, you will experience some analogue of the MS-DOS program, in your browser, instantly."

Case in point: My beloved Starflight offers five different graphics settings (none of which you've likely ever heard of), but the only one that works—or at least, the only one that works for me—is EGA. Furthermore, once you've overcome that hurdle, it will ask you for a launch code before you undock your ship, which is actually the game's copy protection in action. You can enter any code you want and it will let you fly, but unless the DRM has been removed (and I've seen no reference to that being the case) you'll run into trouble down the road.

Occasional glitches aside, the remarkable thing here is that these games work as well as they do. Battle Chess, Tongue of the Fatman, and Koronis Rift may not be exactly as I remember them—the passage of time has a way of smoothing rough edges—but I've spent the last 20 minutes getting my ass kicked in Karateka and I'm not ready to give up yet. Consider yourself warned.

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos_games

Saw this and thought I'd share it since I used to play tons of MS-DOS games like Loom and Maniac Mansion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"