Games that Stand The Test of Time

William_C

StylelessKnave
Reaction score
An obvious title. What games to you, do you feel stand the test of time. Whether it be games from the past (obviously) or games that are coming out today that you think will be able to still be playable in the next generation of gaming?

Super Mario Brothers 3. My most favorite in the series and I still love it to this day.

There is a surprising number of classics that still are great today:

Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World
Super Metroid
Ocarina of Time
Link to the Past
Mike Tyson's Punch Out!
Symphany of the Night
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Earthbound

That is just on the top of my head.

I think most Street Fighter games. Especially II (and its variations).

As fun or innovation?

As fun, kick ass games, i say a ton.
Hell i can still play Pong and have a blast.

As innovation?
None.
All games, sooner or later, became obsolete, because someone will innovate on top of that.
Bad will be the day when that not happens.
When innovation ends, all that remains in the fun, kick ass angle (look above).

Shadow of the Colossus
Ocarina of Time

Are the first that come to mind.

Resident Evil 1 and 2 both are classics that are a lot of fun still to play to this day.

Can you really say Fallout when its only been out for a few months?

Can you really say Fallout when its only been out for a few months?
He did say that your could mention games that are current that you think might stand the test of time as well

Space Invaders
Donkey Kong
Frogger

All 3, plus other retro games (pac-man, galaga etc) all are still fun as hell to play.

Tetris
Pac-Man
Contra
Chrono Trigger
Super Mario World (it's better than SMB3 :o)
Ocarina of Time
Super Metroid
Mega Man 2/3/X
Sonic 3
Super Mario 64
Banjo-Tooie
Goldeneye
Perfect Dark

I think it's much harder for games N64/PS1 and back to hold up now. The graphics are so primitive now and a lot of games today have DLC or online play which greatly improves their longevity.

Metal Gear Solid and Resident Evil series. I can re-play and enjoy them at any point in time

Uncharted, Valkyria Chronicles, and SF4.

Uncharted simply because because of the story and gameplay, I think 20 years down the road someone can pick it up and still enjoy it as much as someone who played it on day 1. Not counting the graphics are vibrant, and the voice acting is top notch. It has that same timeless feel like an Indiana Jones flick.

Valkyria Chronicles for similar reasons. If you like tactical RPG's then this game pretty much hit the nail on the head of this genre. The story is entertaining and keeps you engaged. On top of that is the art style. I just don't see this game every looking so bad to someone they can't stand to play it. It's not the best graphical achievement of all time, but they chose an excellent art direction. It's cell shaded, but not too kiddy, or trying to be too realistic.

Street Fighter 2&3 are still among the best fighting games of all time, easily, and they've been out for awhile. I see no reason SF4 won't follow that tradition.

Xenogears. For me at least I still love playing through it even though the last couple hours are a pain

There is a surprising number of classics that still are great today:

Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World
Super Metroid
Ocarina of Time
Link to the Past
Mike Tyson's Punch Out!
Symphany of the Night
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Earthbound

That is just on the top of my head.

I was compiling my list and then I saw most of it here....Nice choices Brainiac

Super Metroid