Will Gamestop...go the way of Blockbuster...

SentinelMind

Sidekick
Reaction score
dunno where else to put it... but since next generation of consoles are focusing on streaming ...and there's controversy on used games....do you think Gamestop will be going out in next five years...or will they thrive new games coming out? what do you think?

If Blockbuster is still around, even in a limited capacity, then GameStop shouldn't have a problem sticking around for a while.

It depends. Gamers still REALLY enjoy buying and selling their used games. If these upcoming and future consoles start to really limit the playing of used games, then yea i dont see them being around in the capacity they are now.

I'm worried about gamefly even more.

I've saved a fortune renting games to figure out the rare titles worth buying.

If both PS4 and the xbox720 block used games I don't see how Gamespot can stay afloat for long.

I think streaming and digital stores will be their response to Gamestop rather than blocking used games.

Give Gamestop another generation, they've still got time before people go totally digital.

Details released today state that the PS4 will not block used games.

Yea but they didn't outright say that. When asked if the Ps4 would block used games we got this long winded round about answer. We didn't get a straight no. Which can be assumed that there is something there they aren't ready to talk about or admit to. Maybe they won't block them outright but requiring a code or some form of payment in order to unlock the full game isn't outside the realm of possibility.

If both PS4 and the xbox720 block used games I don't see how Gamespot can stay afloat for long.

I don't see how these consoles will make any money by doing this. The life blood of gaming is buying used games sometimes.

You Americans do not know how lucky you are complaining about the big games shops like gamestop I wish we have shops like this

We only have small shops always buy the game for 60 and sell them $ 80 to $ 90

I don't see how these consoles will make any money by doing this. The life blood of gaming is buying used games sometimes.

Well lifeblood for the shops selling those games. The publishers and devs don't see a dime from a used game sale. I really don't think MS or Sony will block them outright but I'm almost certain either one or both are gonna make it a pain in the butt to play a used title.

i dont see brick and mortar shops going yet. the digital games do nothing to help them selves with the prices. hell i can get a game in hmv brand new for £40 on the psn its £59.99

thats plain moronic

I don't know how much of a fight the industry is willing to put up, because in trying to kill brick and mortar stores...there will be caveats to doing so. Things like Limited Editions do make alot of money for the right developers, especially if we're talking about ones that can go over the $100 mark. If the industry goes all in on this, and tries to essentially suffocate Gamestop, as well as now other stores that now do used games as well, the push back could get ugly.

I just don't know if the industry in general is willing to go all in on fight like this, because it could hurt their bottom line.

Gamestop seems to be gearing up for the impending digital warfare, so if they get more time...they could end up in a better position than Blockbuster did.

Which is to say, not become a Museum of the '90s.

Gamestop is definitely going to run into trouble from publishers, but that hasn't stopped them before. Gamestop has even developed a digital delivery system for you to buy your games and they're still negotiating deals that allow them to have exclusives.

However, like blockbuster, I do see Gamestop having trouble remaining viable maybe 10 years from now, rather than 5. It really depends on how much the publishers push for digital only games with no ability to re-sell games. Until the technology is present in everyone's hands (including rural people) I think gamestop still has a few long years ahead of it.

Well lifeblood for the shops selling those games. The publishers and devs don't see a dime from a used game sale. I really don't think MS or Sony will block them outright but I'm almost certain either one or both are gonna make it a pain in the butt to play a used title.

Yeah, I really can't see them straight up blocking used games. That would be a colossally stupid move I think. I can however see publishers going much further down the "buy new to access xxxxx" route.

I think what will happen is that the Online Pass we see today, will just carry over to being needed to access the Single Player portion as well.

I'm worried about gamefly even more.

I've saved a fortune renting games to figure out the rare titles worth buying.
Same here. I haven't actually paid for a game in over a year, but I've rented a ton of games and its only made me realize that I like playing games long enough so that I can the trophies. Once I do that, I tend to not have any interest in replaying. The only games I do end up buying on ones that I want to keep in my collection, like Uncharted, Arkham City and Assassin's Creed.

Right now I finally have money and want to buy a game, but I'm looking for something that's cheaper and on sale as opposed to a new full price game, like Tomb Raider, which I know will be half price in a few months.

I think what will happen is that the Online Pass we see today, will just carry over to being needed to access the Single Player portion as well.
Same here. I think they will continue to let you try out games for an extended period of time, but will require you to enter a code if you want to buy it.

If the next consoles blocked used games, then yeah, I would say yes. But with the PlayStation 4 confirmed to used physical media and used games, I don't see GameStop going away. With the PlayStation 4 playing used games, Microsoft would shoot themselves in the foot if they did so.

I think streaming and digital stores will be their response to Gamestop rather than blocking used games.

Give Gamestop another generation, they've still got time before people go totally digital.

I'd say several years. Gamers are prone to more rapid turnover and trend adaptation than moviegoers because they willingly buy into a business model that intentionally makes itself obsolete every 5-6 years. The fact that 360 and PS3 will last 8 and 7 years respectively is kind of a surprise.

Given the tech nature of the industry, they will adapt fast in a few years if the console makers tell them to jump through that hoop. In which case, I think GameStop could be hit very hard. They are likely already trying to figure out how to avoid this.

There could still be business for Gamestop in terms of current and last gen games. Obviously it won't be as active, but I think it will still take a few ears to knock them down until they find a way to adapt.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Microsoft hasn't made any indications whether or not they're going to be offering the ability to stream games. Rumor has it that right now, they have no intention to do so.

Details released today state that the PS4 will not block used games.

I see MS doing the same, there'd be too much of a backlash if used games were blocked.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Microsoft hasn't made any indications whether or not they're going to be offering the ability to stream games. Rumor has it that right now, they have no intention to do so.

I'm not sure about that, they make a big deal about their Games on Demand service on the 360.

But Games on Demand isn't a streaming service. Wall Street Journal is reporting that while Microsoft has tested cloud gaming, they decided to go in a different direction by focusing more on interacting with mobile devices.

but wouldn't cloud allow interaction with mobile devices?

there-it.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"