• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

need some advice

Ekyp

Civilian
Reaction score
Hello everyone Long story short. I want to start back up on comics, I stopped about 2 years ago because of money issues and have wanted to start up for awhile. SO I'm asking you guys to give me the top 5 titles that are out and ongoing. I thank everyone in advance any and all suggestions are welcome.

The Avengers line is about to be relaunched in a week or two, which would be a good jumping on point. Out of the four books: Avengers, New Avengers, Secret Avengers and Avengers Academy, two of them should be in the top 5.

As Runaway said, you come into comics at a great time, where both DC and Marvel are launching a bunch of new titles based on old ones. What's hard to say is how good each is going to be until we see them. Also, many titles have great jumping on points, like with the recently released "Invincible Iron Man issue #25."

Anyway, here are some of my favorite books currently out:

Batman Return Of Bruce Wayne is going to start up this week. If you like Batman, you might be a bit confused about all the stuff that's gone on before, but it's a good starting point.

Over at DC, Geoff Johns is usually always spot on. Flash just got restarted, and the first issue that came out last month was pretty good. Also, Brightest Day just began, and it's reasonable priced at only $2.99.

If you are getting into comics because of the Iron Man movie, you might want to start with Iron Man issue #25 that I mentioned above...and, the new Black Widow ongoing just premeired last month, too.

(BTW, you might want to stay away from the Hulk titles and X-Men titles until their big events are finished up. The X-event currently going on has been pretty good; but, you might find yourself confused at this point. Even more so with the Hulk titles. For that matter, stay away from the Superman titles, too...and, a two year storyline is finally coming to a close. Wait for the relaunch in about 2-3 months.)

Keep an eye out for all the relaunches after this week. Siege comes to an end this week, with Siege #4 and Avengers Finale. You might want to check those out, simply for the fact it will kind of let you know about why Marvel is relaunching many titles under the Heroic Age title. (Same with DC's Brightest Day.) Also, you local comic shop will have a free advertisement this week, letting you know some brief info about the Heroic Age of comics being launched in a small, Previews comic.

Depending on your viewpoint about Peter and Mary Jane's marriage being annulled by Mephisto, Amazing Spider-Man is a decent read. It's in the middle of a huge storyline, called The Gauntlet...but, you can jump right on and not really be missing much. You just have to know that Kraven's family is making Peter fight many of his classic foes, just to wear him out. It is all leading up to the possible return of Kraven.

Finally, I could probably keep writing...but, a great place to get ideas is the Bought/Thought threads. Many of us will review the comics we read...and, from there, you can get a general idea of what might interest you. For example, one standout comic from this last week that almost everyone has loved is Astonishing Spider-Man/Wolverine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"