• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Need some help and adivice?

Elijya said:
(Uh, SS, what's that got to do with helping this guy find the right comic to read? I mean, yeah, Slott's books are great and he'd probably enjoy Spider-Man/Human Torch, but who asked about slott coming to Philly? :confused)

Fine.

**** Slott.

J/K;)

I guess the one worry I have about Young Avengers and Ultimates is that they aren't in the standard continuity, are they? Don't they take place in a different "universe" - apart from the world I knew and loved as a kid? I mean, I remember the "New Universe" books, and I just couldn't get into them at the time, because it was a complete departure, although some of the concepts were decent.

By the way, the feedback has been amazing... Thank you very much. What about She-hulk... I can't really comprehend subscribing to it (I know, I know don't let the title fool you) but I have heard good things. And again Moon Knight... anybody besides 25th read that title?

Young Avengers is in the 616 Universe (Standard Continuity.) Ultimates is not.

WOLVERINE25TH said:
And Young Avengers was formed by a younger version of Kang and is just damn good reading.

What in the wide, wide world of sports? I thought Kang was evil... what is he forming a group of Avengers for?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Avengers Read up to aleviate confusion.

And She-Hulk is a very good book. If you respect continuity and characterizations, can't ask fer no better a writer than Dan Slott. I wasn't able to enjoy it's first volume 'cause of the artist, but it's all good now. It's funny too!

She-Hulk is a humor book that's very very funny if you knoe all the ins and outs of the Marvel Universe. There's an issue where they help Spider-Man sue the Daily Bugle for libel, one where a ghost appears at his own murder trial, one where a villain sues a hero for injuries he suffered, stuff like that. Like I said, it's fun if you know all the stuff.

Don't be so off put by Kang-as-a-teenage-hero thing. Remember, Kang was Kang, Immortus, and Ramam Tut all at the same time. The Vision was an android built out of the remains of the original Human Torch who had his brain waves based on Wonder Man, and he was made to attack the Avengers by Ultron, himself an evil robot with brain patterns based on Hank Pym, but turned good and ended up marrying the Scarlet Witch and the two had kids which ended up just being figments of Wanda's immagination spurred on by an evil demon. Crazy stuff like that has been happening in the Marvel Universe for decades, long before we all started reading. And they'll continue to happen as long as we keep reading them, even if we stop for a few years. ;)

Some people are specificly turned off by the Ultimate line. Myself, I think of it as just one big "What if...?" and What ifs were always great fun reads, because they let us look at our heroes in a different light, in different situations.

The Ultimates is basicly just the Avengers updated for the modern day with the action and coolness factor pumped way up. No, these aren't the heroes you grow up with, and I wouldn't suggest them as a replacement. But it is without a doubt an extremely entertaining story and, again, just a story where you see different version of your old heroes in a different light and in a different situation.

Don't suppose you ever read the Squadron Supreme? The Squadron were just the Justice League... but set in a different time and place, in a different situation (and disguised behind aliases so Marvel could publish the story). And it ended up being one of the greatest Justice League stories ever written, and DC didn't even have anything to do with it :D

instead of creating a new thread i'll just ask here:
are Friendly Neighbourhood and Sensational SpiderMan worth getting?
how do they rate compared to Amazing?
and if Freindly Neighbourhood is worth picking up, should i start at #8, or wait till that storyline is over?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"