• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Neil Blompkamp's Chappie

Neill Blomkamp’s Incredibly Honest Take on the Failure Of ‘Chappie’

“Chappie was unbelievably painful for me. That was difficult on several levels. But the thing with Chappie was, it felt like it was extremely close to the film I had in my head. Up until the film came out, I felt like I had given my all, and that I’d tried my hardest to make the film I had in my head, and I felt like I achieved that. […] But I’m still upset the fact that it didn’t work. I wish that it did, but it just didn’t, and I still love it. I don’t know what else to say, but the audience didn’t get what I was going for. It didn’t work.”

“We could go on for hours about Chappie and where it sits. But it definitely hurt several parts of my career, I think. Those are all secondary to just the repositioning myself as an artist and just thinking about that. I mean, Elysium, I didn’t feel that way. I feel like Elysium wasn’t actually that good. That’s the difference. I feel like I got it right with Chappie, and then when the audience turns on you, that puts you in a different place.”

I liked Chappie for the quirky scifi thing it was.
You'll be hard-pressed to find anything like it, but I enjoyed Elysium more.

Chappie was a real disappointment for me. I liked Elysium much more.

Last edited:
I loved Elysium and really dug Chappie. Blomkamp has a spotless record IMHO.

I liked Elysium. Quite a lot actually. Although it was edited weird and Fosters voice was just bizarre.

But I didn't like Chappie. Well, I liked Chappie the character and Dev Patel. But overall I thought it was obnoxious.

I didn't mind Elysium and enjoyed it more than most. Though I haven't seen it since it was released in theaters. However, I was very disappointed with Chappie and expected better from Blompkamp.

Even though it's the whole gimmick of the film, they really should've not used Die Antwoord.

I think this experimental Oats Studios stuff is really more his thing.

Elysium sucked and Blompkamp is a one hit wonder.

It did not suck on a technical level, but it lacked in the intelligence level for me. The whole rebooting the system with some special code to completely change things from that point forward bugged the crap out of me. I liked the crazy guy from District 9 though. He was the best part. Should have just made the movie about him killing people. :cwink:

Chappie was a steaming pile of Die Antwoord promoting horse****. I'll take Elysium over Chappie any day of the week.

Chappie has Jackman so it's automatically my favorite of his movies. And the robot was great I actually cared about him so much. But that rap gansta whatever subplot was just terrible

Chappie has Jackman so it's automatically my favorite of his movies. And the robot was great I actually cared about him so much. But that rap gansta whatever subplot was just terrible

Problem with Chappie was that the subplot became the main plot out of nowhere. It's like halfway through making the movie Blomkamp decided he'd rather make Die Antwoord the Motion Picture.

I like Neil Blompkamp a lot even if his last two films weren't that great. At least he's not in Lady in the Water M.Night mode right now. He's not drinking his own Kool-Aid.

Blomkamp taking a massive lower intestine purge over Germain Lussier on twitter made my whole morning. I hope more film makers take it to Film Twitter.

Problem with Chappie was that the subplot became the main plot out of nowhere. It's like halfway through making the movie Blomkamp decided he'd rather make Die Antwoord the Motion Picture.

Funny thing is even they hate on that film now.

I like Neil Blompkamp a lot even if his last two films weren't that great. At least he's not in Lady in the Water M.Night mode right now. He's not drinking his own Kool-Aid.

Say what now?

Say what now?

I'm talking about how Lady in the Water was a massive ego trip, and how M. Night at that time, would have never said one of his movies didn't work.

I'm talking about how Lady in the Water was a massive ego trip, and how M. Night at that time, would have never said one of his movies didn't work.

Oh ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"