Neil Blomkamp's Next Movie is Greenlighted

Dr. Evil

Eternal
Reaction score
http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/10/22...mkamps-next-sci-fi-movie-gets-the-greenlight/

Media Rights Capital has committed to fund District 9 filmmaker Neill Blomkamp’s next film, an untitled science fiction movie which will be set on another planet. MRC committed to the new project after hearing Blomkamp’s pitch. Details are thin right now, but Blomkamp tells BFDealMemo that the project will “hopefully be commercial”:

“Hopefully, this will be a bit unique, very much a reflection of me. It is absolutely another science fiction film, quite different from `District 9,’ but some of the blending of genres and the tone might be within the same realm.”

At Comic-Con this year, Blomkamp told us:

I’ve got one science fiction idea that I’m absolutely in love with, which I’m pretty sure is going to be my next film. 99% sure…It’s totally original, it’s my own story…It’s set on another planet, but it’s cool. It’s violent, very violent, and very unique hopefully. We’ll see.

The few details we have certainly make it sound like not your typical Hollywood production. Blomkamp says that the film will be more of his vision (”very much a singular film, that comes directly from me”) that District 9, which was a learning experience under producer Peter Jackson, who will not be involved this time around. Bill Block will produce. The MRC deal is big because they are not only giving Blomkamp creative freedom but also an ownership stake in the finished product. That’s a HUGE deal for a filmmaker to get on only his second film.

MRC will be funding the project, which will cost somewhere north of District 9’s $30 million, but not a lot higher. Blompkamp has said that he’s “not particularly interested in massive budget films, or creating huge spectacles that some young directors might be attracted to.”

The filmmaker plans to immediately start writing and prepping the visual effects for the film, which will begin production by the middle of next year. A distributor will be found at that time. Blomkamp definitely has an option to make a District 9 sequel afterwards if that is what he wants.

Unique and violent... so far, a tag line for every Blomkamp film. :heart: :up:

i hope its not the same shaky cam style like in district. in D9 it worked 100% perfect. but this will show now if he is able to make something different. if he is then he 100% won.

MRC will be funding the project, which will cost somewhere north of District 9’s $30 million, but not a lot higher

Smart move by Neill. A low budget means more creative freedom and less studio involvement.
Edit :
Also these low budget movies really bring out the creative side in directors because they have to find inventive ways to shoot their scenes. Aside from taking a break from the spidey movies , one of the reasons Raimi loved working on Drag Me To Hell was just that he felt challenged . With Spider-man he had such a massive budget at this disposal that he could basically look at any shot and say "yeah let's CG'fied it here". With Drag Me To Hell it was more like "do i want to do that. WIll i have enough money etc".

Last edited:
Wow. I can't begin to imagine what this beautiful, beautiful man will be able to do with $40 or $50 million. Consider me camping out the day before this opens.

its not like Bloomkamp did some crazy magic on district 9. yes we got a lot of CGI aliens for the budget. but filming on that location was super cheap. i dont think they had complex lighting on the set from what i remember.

plus hes actors were............how should i say............cheap?

Although I do feel D9 is a little overrated, I still find it to be a very good movie. It gets major props for being the first good hardcore Sci Fi movie in like, forever.

NB did work magic and I hope he works even better magic with this new flick.

i meant magic for the budget. it was super cheap to get the video plates with actors.

i meant magic for the budget. it was super cheap to get the video plates with actors.
Yeah but it still looked awesome. Listen I know the story behind it but there is no doubt that it still looked awesome.

It's past midnight and I come on real quick to see what's going on before I go to bed. Lo and behold, Blomkamp has his next movie greenlit. This is great news!

Now, as others have said, I can't wait to hear what exactly this will be about.

This is huge for Blomkamp. I'm excited and interested as I loved D9.

Subscribing for further news.

District 9 was possibly the best movie I have seen in ages, it is definately up there with TDK from last year for me, it was superb, so you can absolutely count me on board for this one.

Strange that Jackson isnt producing though.

i am very happy. i think he was a good mentor but the kid needs to go on hes own path. i think Jackson helped him more then he admits. but thats just me.

but i am positive that he will do a good job.

^Having a mentor like Jackson is no bad thing though, I thought he would have stayed with for a few more movies Dark B.

Blomkamp is taking huge steps too. Getting ownership stake of the film tells you alot.

District 9 was possibly the best movie I have seen in ages, it is definately up there with TDK from last year for me, it was superb, so you can absolutely count me on board for this one.

Definitely...its one of those movies where the more I think about it the more I love it. It stays with you. I think its even better than The Dark Knight. I'm so happy to have seen both in theaters :)

I hope this wasn't a one-time masterpiece from Neil....hopefully his next movie is awesome too!

Sounds amazing. Another original sci fi film from Blomkamp should be great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"