Networks looking to reclaim Fridays

TMC1982

Sidekick
Reaction score
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr...sion/news/e3i3ecdc15bacc281d2687bd99e33a0773f

All is certainly not as it used to be. The "X-Files" morphed into a long-running Sunday staple, while "CSI," of course, still airs on Thursday -- two nights that are considerably more profitable from an ad revenue standpoint. "CSI," in fact, was the last big Friday hit on any broadcast network, and that was nine years ago.

"The audience is very aware that Friday and Saturday are no longer priorities for the networks," said Brad Adgate, senior vp research at Horizon Media. "There are several ways to explain the ongoing audience erosion on Friday and the poor results on Saturday, but the main reason is the programming. It always comes down to the types of shows being offered."

Once upon a time, the end of the work week offered viewers a bounty of options. But, mirroring once robust and now virtually extinct Saturday (which at one time housed such hits as "All in the Family," "The Mary Tyler Moore Show," "The Love Boat" and "The Golden Girls"), the landscape on Friday has been deteriorating for years, leading many to worry about the future of that evening as a source of original entertainment. (Cable networks are starting to make their mark on the night, but more on that later.)

NBC has seen a spike in the ratings on Friday this season thanks to its coverage of the Winter Olympics, but ABC, CBS and Fox are all down year to year. CBS' deteriorating combination of scripted dramas "Ghost Whisperer," "Medium" and "Numbers" have dipped by an average of 19% in total viewers (from 9.7 million to 7.8 million) and 21% among adults 18-49 (from a 2.4 to a 1.9) based on live-plus-7-day ratings from Nielsen Media Research through March 22. ABC's erosion -- down 5% in total viewers to 5.4 million and 11% among adults 18-49 to a 1.6 -- is less severe, but Friday remains the second-lowest-rated night of the week (behind Saturday) for both networks. Friday, meanwhile, is the weakest link for Fox, with a 21% drop in total viewers to 4.4 million and a 12% dip among adults 18-49 to a 1.5.

The CW actually has more pressing issues than Friday. But since "Smallville" moved from Thursday to Friday, the veteran drama has suffered double-digit losses. Even NBC's canceled "The Jay Leno Show" dipped to its lowest ratings on Fridays.

"Since the advent of people meters and the emphasis on adults 18-49, the audience advertisers covet is just not readily available on Friday or Saturday," said Jeff Bader, executive vp planning, scheduling and distribution for the ABC Entertainment Group. "Economically, it's very difficult, if not impossible, to assemble an aggressive night of programming on both nights similar to earlier in the week simply because of the lack of target viewers and weaker advertiser support."

"It's a Catch-22," Adgate added. "The more the networks shy away from both evenings, the less advertisers want to support it. And the absence of significant advertiser support doesn't exactly give the broadcast networks an incentive to be more productive."

"The last thing any of us want to do is abandon the evening," said Mitch Metcalf, executive vp program planning and scheduling at NBC. "So, the challenge is to keep the night alive while keeping the costs down."

One way is the use of less expensive international product like Canadian drama "Flashpoint" on CBS, which has been a modest success, and summer 2009 drama "Mental" on Fox, which was shot outside the U.S. Another is the deal NBC has with DirecTV for family drama "Friday Night Lights" to spread the production costs. The next batch of 13 original episodes, which premiered on DirecTV last fall, returns May 7 to NBC in a two-season (26-episode) renewal.

" 'Friday Night Lights' was a show we did not want to let go of, but we knew it would never be a huge success from a ratings standpoint," Metcalf said. "So, we found a way to keep it afloat and will continue to look for ways to program Friday wisely (from a cost standpoint), but still aggressively."

ABC has generated some interest on Saturday, but outside of veteran newsmagazine "20/20" at 10 p.m., it could be back to square one from 8-10 p.m. on Fridays next season.

"We have several scenarios floating in our heads, and we just launched 'Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution' on the evening," Bader said. "But, to be honest, our bigger concern is replacing "Lost" and finding a Wednesday sitcom anchor."

There was talk at one time of ABC trying to re-create its kids-driven comedy lineup from the late '80s-early '90s, but Disney Channel and Nickelodeon now have a lock among the target kids and tweens. "It's called fragmentation, and it has taken its toll," Bader said. "It is just not simple to target a certain demographic anymore."

Fox had some minor success last season when it featured game shows "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?" and "Don't Forget the Lyrics." But replacing them last fall with sitcoms " 'Til Death" and "Brothers" and sophomore returnee "Dollhouse" was short-lived, and the network is filling the night at present with encores of "House" and a blend of new and old episodes of "Kitchen Nightmares."

"Friday is a definite challenge for many reasons," said Preston Beckman, Fox executive vp strategic program planning. "But until we stick with a specific strategy that the audience can become accustomed to, no one will benefit. Only CBS has managed to offer a consistent lineup of scripted dramas, but who knows how profitable they are at this point?"

Friday nights are becoming an afterthought in my estimation because networks don't have a concrete plan to stick with. I remember growing up, ABC had TGIF for families/kids and FOX had a more sci-fi oriented line-up with The X-Files, Sliders, etc. Now a days, there's no really agenda of what to do. Networks need to take more chances/risks by programming stuff that goes outside the box or against the grain (at least when compared to other nights of the week). In other words, give the viewers a niche of sorts (take small steps and then go from there) that the other networks won't cater too. Don't treat the shows as something that simply didn't fit elsewhere on the schedule (and don't give it adequate promotion).

I still for one think that TGIF can work (I mean, all that there's on TV these days are reality shows, cop shows, medical shows, quirky one-camera sitcoms like The Office or 30 Rock, or an endless array of spin-offs like Law & Order and CSI) if the shows are interesting and appealing enough. The second time that ABC tried TGIF during the early 2000s failed, because the shows in my estimation, weren't all that entertaining and distinguishable (while still able to appeal to a general audience).

TGIF declined because those kids grew up and the tv audience, in general, were sick and tired of family sitcoms

NBC struck gold with stuff like Friends and Seinfeld because it was different

I agree with the comment that fragmentation has taken its toll. Looking at some past tv season lineups on wikipedia, Fridays and Saturdays were really good nights. The 1983-84 season (my high school season year) had 4 of the top 30 shows on those nights, the season before had 3 of the top 10. Of course, this was when Dallas, Falcon Crest, and Love Boat were in their heyday (admittedly near the end of the Love Boat's).

Even so, looking at the rest of the lineups and what the networks offered is interesting. In 83-84 every night but Thursday had a movie, be it made for tv or a theatrical release. Last year (2009-10) shows only ABC on Saturday had a movie. Like the article said, tweens are watching Nickelodeon or Disney Channel. Why should the networks air something like The Wonderful World of Disney when there's a whole network for Disney?

Sports? Yeah, now there's football on Sunday nights but all-day Sunday is football anyway. Monday Night Football has moved to ESPN, and pretty much all regular season sports are on cable networks now.

It will be interesting to see the networks try to succeed on Fridays or Saturdays, and to see what they do to do so. It would be nice to see a variety show similar to the old Carol Burnett show. Check some clips that are online; the skits were hilarious. Thing is, someone in programming needs to be brave and take the gamble of giving something a chance to build rather than panicking if it's not a ratings juggernaut after 3 airings.

FYI, anyone else remember a show called Tales of the Gold Monkey? I'd almost forgotten about it until looking at the lineups, and found out that it's coming out on DVD this summer.

well the rise of cable and later the internet along with growing syndication deals are a factor as well....risks are good, but they can also be expensive and no one wants to spend money right now

they should try sci-fi or martial arts action shows
come to think of it i wish they bring martial srts heroes back to tv PERIOD

TGIF declined because those kids grew up and the tv audience, in general, were sick and tired of family sitcoms

NBC struck gold with stuff like Friends and Seinfeld because it was different

That's an apples and oranges arguement in my estimination. It's not fair to compare what airs on Thursdays to what airs on Fridays. Plus, TGIF lasted for just about all of Seinfeld's existance (as well as at least 2/4 of Friends). There's always going to be kids and families regardless of them growing up.

If you ask me, TGIF declined because when Disney bought ABC in the late '90s, it became sort of counterproductive for them to have a TV market for family-oriented programming given that they already had the Disney Channel around. Plus, ABC I feel, didn't give a whole lot of shows (with the exception of Sabrina the Teenage Witch) as chance to grow after 1995-1996. It didn't help matters that aging shows like Family Matters and Step by Step moved over to CBS (during their failed attempt at doing their own version of TGIF with the "Block Party" experiment), leaving ABC a gaping hole that they just couldn't fill.

but TV is a lot more "niched" now than ever, even when I was a kid during the mid/late nineties I don't recall our whole family watching TV together all that much

this move seems like a counter move to some cable channels abandoning Friday nights all together...I know USA has already moved all their original programming off of Fridays

they should try sci-fi or martial arts action shows
come to think of it i wish they bring martial srts heroes back to tv PERIOD

With regards to sci-fi, they have (or at least Fox has) with shows like Sarah Connor and Dollhouse. However, they just didn't catch on. As for proper martial arts shows, I would love if they made a comeback. That said, I foresee complications by way of certain groups who would complain against such regular violence, never mind that cop shows actually show more graphic brutality and go into detail on how to actually accomplish it.

Fox could always show two hours of Cops on Fridays followed by its usual hour on Saturdays.

Although that may be Cops overkill.

Fox has not had to change its saturday night lineup in close to 20 years now....thats insane

I wish TGIF would be brought back. I miss those days. :csad:

no one wants ****** family sitcoms....you want that crap its all in reruns on ABC Family

Good Luck with that. Trying to find a show so popular people would be willing to not go out to make sure they see it, when they could just wait a few hours after they get home drunk and it's on Hulu or the channel website.

I can still recite the theme songs from Full House, Family Matters, and Step by Step!

I thought this thread was going to be about the show Fridays.

Fox has not had to change its saturday night lineup in close to 20 years now....thats insane

Yep. They won't change it either, fearing death threats, lawsuits and outrage.

They almost canceled America's Most Wanted, but brought it back due to outrage from Law enforcement, viewers and state attorney generals of the canceling of the show.

I saw an interview with John Walsh about when AMW was first cancelled....some young Fox exec thought AMW wasn't conducive to the growing networks strategy, this was back when Fox was just getting going....so it got cancelled...and was back within 3 months I think...that exec was gone by the time the show came back

and AMW is a force...you end up on that show, you are officially on borrowed time

there was a guy (pedo) on there, who fled to Europe....an American couple that retired there that watch the show on satellite, saw this guy in Luxembourg and Interpol went and got his ass....he had been a fugitive for about 7 years I think

Fox could always show two hours of Cops on Fridays followed by its usual hour on Saturdays.

Although that may be Cops overkill.

G4 is already doing the whole "Cops overkill" routine! :doh:

The shows on Disney like Wizards Of Waverly Place, Sonny With A Chance, The Sweet Life which I admittedly watch ocassionaly have that same sugary wholesomeness of the old TGIF shows.

When I was in high school I never went out on Friday's so watching TGIF became a priority and way back in the 80's when not every household had a VCR watching a network movie premiere was almost an event.

People do stay home on Fridays but they're watching cable. The conglomerates that own the networks are their own worst enemy as they're the ones creating cable channels that divide up the pie.

Fox is owned by News Corp which has FX, Fox News, Fox Business, Fox Sports Net, Fox Movie Channel, My Network, Speed Channel, Fox Classics and joint ventures with National Geographic. Now take all those audiences and that's maybe 4 million+ viewers you could have on a Friday. Just from one parent company's cable channels. The cable business model is making money for them its the network that struggles, they've grown to a certain "lifestyle" and have to please the affiliates.

It was stated in the Leno/NBC mess. NBC may suck in the ratings but their cable channels are making NBC Universal tons of money.

Also reality shows have only replaced movie nights the networks used to have. Look at any schedule from the 1970s to mid or late 90s, every network always had 2 hours dedicated to a movie. Now its two hours dedicated to a reality show. Except the media over reports them.

Ill admit to watching Sonny with a Chance...I think the show is genuinely funny, love the rivalry with the 'drama' show....McKenzie Falls

Man I remember USA network used to air Fridays and Saturdays their USA Up All Night block hosted by Gilbert Gottfried then Rhonda Shear all sorts of forgotten hilarious movies.

TNT on Fridays had their MonsterVision and TBS would air their batch of classics like Critters.

I feel very young because I don't remember any of this stuff (except for T.G.I.F.). :csad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"