New del toro interview, gives details on the army!

superkong 500

Sidekick
Reaction score
From scifi wire:Guillermo del Toro, who is readying Hellboy 2: The Golden Army, told SCI FI Wire that the sequel to 2004's Hellboy will feature killer robots and a new character, the spectral B.P.R.D. agent Johann Kraus, but will eliminate Rupert Evans' Agent Myers, the only character not drawn from Mike Mignola's Hellboy comics series. As for the plot, del Toro likened it to his upcoming historical fantasy film Pan's Labyrinth.

"The idea is, in a strange way, not very different from Pan's Labyrinth," del Toro said in a telephone interview on Sept. 28. "It's a clash between the real world and the fantasy world, you know? And how the world of humans is destroying, eroding, imagination."

Del Toro said the sequel will bring back most of the main characters, including Ron Perlman's big red demon, Selma Blair's pyrokinetic Liz Sherman and Doug Jones' amphibious Abe Sapien. "Yeah, actually, everybody will be back, except Agent Myers, ... the only non-comic-book-based character of the first one," del Toro said. "And we're bringing in Johann Kraus, the ectoplasmic agent from the comics." In the comics, Kraus is a disembodied spirit with psychic abilities who maintains form by wearing a containment suit and is an active member of the Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense.

Another well-known character from the comics, Roger the Homunculus, may appear in the film, but only briefly, del Toro added. "We will only see him in the background, in the corridor, like we did the first time," he said. "We played with the idea of bringing him in, but in a strange way, ... Roger ... in the comics is not very removed from Hellboy's plight in the first movie, which is he's essentially a very human soul trapped in a very brutal body. So I think ... Mike Mignola and I both felt, in writing the story, that it was too similar."

As for the robots? They won't be like the killer robotized gorillas in the comics. "There will be killer robots, period," del Toro said with a laugh. "Gorilla-sized, but not gorillas."

Good riddance to John Myers.

Seems to be a subtle implication that the character is a mistake.

superkong 500 said:
From scifi wire:Guillermo del Toro, who is readying Hellboy 2: The Golden Army, told SCI FI Wire that the sequel to 2004's Hellboy will feature killer robots and a new character, the spectral B.P.R.D. agent Johann Kraus, but will eliminate Rupert Evans' Agent Myers, the only character not drawn from Mike Mignola's Hellboy comics series. As for the plot, del Toro likened it to his upcoming historical fantasy film Pan's Labyrinth.

"The idea is, in a strange way, not very different from Pan's Labyrinth," del Toro said in a telephone interview on Sept. 28. "It's a clash between the real world and the fantasy world, you know? And how the world of humans is destroying, eroding, imagination."

Del Toro said the sequel will bring back most of the main characters, including Ron Perlman's big red demon, Selma Blair's pyrokinetic Liz Sherman and Doug Jones' amphibious Abe Sapien. "Yeah, actually, everybody will be back, except Agent Myers, ... the only non-comic-book-based character of the first one," del Toro said. "And we're bringing in Johann Kraus, the ectoplasmic agent from the comics." In the comics, Kraus is a disembodied spirit with psychic abilities who maintains form by wearing a containment suit and is an active member of the Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense.

Another well-known character from the comics, Roger the Homunculus, may appear in the film, but only briefly, del Toro added. "We will only see him in the background, in the corridor, like we did the first time," he said. "We played with the idea of bringing him in, but in a strange way, ... Roger ... in the comics is not very removed from Hellboy's plight in the first movie, which is he's essentially a very human soul trapped in a very brutal body. So I think ... Mike Mignola and I both felt, in writing the story, that it was too similar."

As for the robots? They won't be like the killer robotized gorillas in the comics. "There will be killer robots, period," del Toro said with a laugh. "Gorilla-sized, but not gorillas."

All good news, wouldnt mind seeing a cameo from Myers though, just for some continuity, but all the rest sounds spectacular!

superkong 500 said:

It all sounds good!

I was hoping for the killer monkey(gorrila) robots,regular robots are no fun.There just machine built for distrution.Where is the fun in that:o

I was hoping for the killer monkey(gorrila) robots,regular robots are no fun.There just machine built for distrution.Where is the fun in that:o

Oh, believe me, these things ain't regular robots! ;)

HM

^I hate the way you tease us HM! :yay:

She may be a tease, but she's really easy to torment. Just tell her that you're going to take that signed poster of your favorite movie and put it up with thumb tacks...in direct sunlight...low enough for the kids to touch...and next to the heater vent.

>^^<

She may be a tease, but she's really easy to torment. Just tell her that you're going to take that signed poster of your favorite movie and put it up with thumb tacks...in direct sunlight...low enough for the kids to touch...and next to the heater vent.

>^^<

I'm calm about it ... real calm ... *tic* ...

HM

>^^<

Why, that sounds like the perfect location for my poster! Golly! :yay:

Nice update. Looking forward to seeing Johann Krauss, and hopefully, bigger roles for Abe and Liz. Roger would have been cool, but I understand and agree with the reasoning, there. Maybe we'll get to see him in action sometime in the near future. The elimination of Myers was expected, but it's good to hear it coming from the source.

I'm hearing great things about Pan's Labyrinth, which is encouraging, as well.

>^^<

Hmm i'm moving all of my posters as we speak!!!!!!

Not gonna miss Myers at all! Whilst I felt he was obviously integral and was a good tool to bring the audience into Hellboy's world, now we're in, We can discard him

You lot need a jolly good telling off, if you ask me. Tsk. Irresponsible, that's what you are, teasing an ol' Scottish lady like that. :wow:

HM

OT: What do the Scottish call scotch tape?

OT: What do the Scottish call scotch tape?

Flexo, you get extra brownie points because you know the difference between 'Scottish' and 'Scotch.' I am Scottish, and I drink Scotch whisky. And here in the UK we call Scotch tape Sellotape. None of which should ever go near a poster. Shudder. *twitch* ... *tic tic* ...

HM

Flexo, you get extra brownie points because you know the difference between 'Scottish' and 'Scotch.' I am Scottish, and I drink Scotch whisky. And here in the UK we call Scotch tape Sellotape. None of which should ever go near a poster. Shudder. *twitch* ... *tic tic* ...

HM
Nah, you should use thumbtacks.:woot::woot::woot:

*runs and hides under the couch*

>^^<

Good riddance to John Myers.

Seems to be a subtle implication that the character is a mistake.

I don't think he was a mistake, he just serves no purpose in a sequel

he was basically created to have a character everyone can relate with when they meet a big red monster for the first time etc

I don't think he was a mistake, he just serves no purpose in a sequel

he was basically created to have a character everyone can relate with when they meet a big red monster for the first time etc

Exactly, i also think a cameo in HB2 wouldnt go amiss.

I guess this is something of a first look at the army:

comiccon200792ai9.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"