New videogame: Gotham City Imposters.

Travesty

Avenger
Reaction score
IGN said:
Batman: Arkham City may be the center of superhero attention right now, but the Dark Knight has another trick up his sleeve. Warner Bros.' development studio Monolith Games is working on a downloadable multiplayer Batman title called Gotham City Impostors.

In this Batman-themed first-person shooter, players take on the roles of ordinary people (one is dubbed "the Office Bat") pretending to be Batman and "impostors" of dastardly bad guys. At a presentation at a pre-E3 event this week, we were shown an image of the Joker flipping the camera the bird. Oh, and he wasn't wearing any pants.

In a mode we watched called Psych Warfare, players defended a battery hooked up to a brainwashing machine while the opposing team tried to destroy it in a capture-the-bomb-style back-and-forth. According the WB and Monolith, Gotham City Impostors will be highly customizable, and players will be able to tweak their characters' body styles and weapons.

Gotham City Impostors is planned for release on Xbox Live Arcade, PlayStation Network and PC.

We'll have a full preview of Gotham City Impostors later today. In the meantime, tell us what you think about the concept of a multiplayer downloadable game set in the Batman universe.
http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/116/1168524p1.html

sKNK0.jpg

Official Website said:
Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment Announces Gotham City Impostors

Critically Acclaimed Monolith Productions Shatters First-Person Shooter Model with Over-the-Top Gameplay Where Players Become Personalized Versions of The Bats and The Jokerz

BURBANK, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and DC Entertainment today announced Gotham City Impostors, an original download-only first-person shooter where players battle for control of an unhinged Gotham City overrun by impostors inspired by the DC Comics characters Batman and The Joker. Developed by Monolith Productions, the game will be available in the Xbox LIVE® Marketplace for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, Windows PC and PlayStation®Network.

“Gotham City Impostors blows apart expectations for superhero games with an exaggerated take on first person shooters, set in a part of the DC Universe players have never seen before,” said Samantha Ryan, Senior Vice President, Production and Development, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. “Monolith is creating a game that turns Gotham City upside down and we think fans are going to have a blast with this creative twist on multiplayer heroism and anti-heroism as they play up the classic rivalry between Batman and The Joker.”

Gotham City Impostors is a multiplayer game unlike any other, giving players the opportunity to rebel against conformity as they customize their own characters. Posing as amateur vigilantes or villains, gamers will create their very own Bats and Jokerz characters using unprecedented customization options including insane costumes, homebrewed gadgets and a wide range of traditional and imagined weapons.

The game will feature maps and modes inspired by DC Comics’ Batman license. Fans can visit www.GothamCityImpostors.com for more information and to sign up to receive updates regarding the game.

First game from core team behind F.E.A.R., which is also the core team from NOLF.
It's a 4v4 multiplayer shooter set in the Batman universe.

You don't play as Batman or Joker. Instead you play as a highly customizable "imposter" on Team Bats or Team Jokers. From there, you'll be adjusting your loadouts, your character, and your costume across a series of gametypes and maps.

"Emphasis is on action, quite a bit of humor. Lots of customization for your Bat or Joker. Saw a female joker on rollerskates in a dress!"
http://www.gothamcityimpostors.com/

Joystiq hands-on said:
So what exactly does Gotham City Impostors look like? In short, it's a hyperactive multiplayer shooter, coated in a thick layer of Batman Sauce. Players can pick to be on Team Bats or Team Jokerz (no word on other potential teams yet, WBIE tells us) and, from there, customize their characters, loadouts, individual weapons, and even the "card" that enemies will see after you've killed them. Character customization begins with body type, which ranges from nimble to heavy, all the way through "cowl," where players can pick the type of knock-off Batman mask they want their impostor to wear.

To demonstrate weapon customization, we were shown the "Thunder Dragon" rocket launcher ... But a rocket launcher is old hat, right? How about a purple cheetah-print rocket launcher ... that fires fireworks -- or molotov ******tails? Your loadout includes a "ready" weapon, an assault rifle in our case; a "backup" weapon, the aforementioned Thunder Dragon here; a "support" item, which includes pipe bombs, a jack-in-the-box-style bomb, an axe, a boomerang, and more; and a "gadget," which includes a glider, a grapple gun, roller skates, or a smoke bomb. Like most games in this market, you can either customize everything or pick from defaults, including pre-made loadouts.

On display at the event were only two gametypes -- the mandatory Team Deathmatch and the more atypical "Psychological Warfare," a kind of capture-the-flag done Batman-style. The map on display was the funhouse Amusement Mile, an appropriate setting for the madcap action on display. Littered across the level are trampolines, which players can use to make their way to higher ground, giving the map a distinct verticality. Also helping traverse this vertical environment is the glider which, when coupled with heating ducts, let players fly across the level. Similarly, skate ramps allow players with the roller skates gadget to get a speed boost across the map.

Psychological Warfare tasks each team with defending or recovering a battery connected to a brainwashing system. When a team grabs the battery to bring it back to their base, it leaves behind a trail of battery acid, leading the defending team directly to the stolen battery. Once back at the base, it must be defended for 30 seconds before the attacking team can activate its brainwashing machine. Once activated, your team members will hear a motivational speech, while the enemy will be brainwashed and temporarily lose access to its weapons, relying solely on "panic attacks."

From a mechanical standpoint, Gotham City Impostors plays much like other shooters: run is mapped to the left analog stick's clicky button; left trigger pulls up your iron sights; right trigger fires. Killing enemies earns you XP (conveniently posted above enemies every time you land a shot); though, strangely, Monolith isn't talking about what other actions will net players XP. Successfully snagging a battery? No sign of XP in the demo session.
Joystiq hands On

This looks like it could be really fun.

I'm very excited. Everytime I play Call of Duty, I say to myself, "you know what can make this better? Batman."

I'm very excited. Everytime I play Call of Duty, I say to myself, "you know what can make this better? Batman."

yah but Luthy
some of us
HATE. HATE. HATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTE
seeing only our arms and hands in a game.

it doesnt have the same intimacy as GoW /PoP/Vagrant Story/or Final fantasy. for example PoP you can sneak up and slit a programs throat , and see it go down , take satisfaction in Derezzing the program. but in a FPS it is muted by a lot =/ just play AVP as the XENO or PRED and ull see what i mean.

i like Aliens and predators which is the only reason i picked up AVP 3 ( yeah the one for the ps3) and when it comes to FPS i am struggling , if they had a alternate mode like integrated FPS and back view like in GoW /PoP/Vagrant Story/ Final fantasy .
with another Batgame on the market im all for it , i just wish that theyd take into consideration those of us who cant make it past level 8 of MW without dying a million times.

i cant wait to see the costume options tho =3 because that is gonna be totally BADFRAGGINA** .
i know HUNTER the mod is gonna dress his one up as BRIAN the fake bat :awesome: LOLZ

This game is meant to be a more fun, light-hearted Batman game. To me it looks like a lot of fun. I see potential in this being good. I mean come on how many Batman shooters will we ever see? And if it sucks, I'll get a good, serious Batman game in Batman: Arkham City.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"