• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Stand-Alone Movies Next wave of SW film announcements

The Johnson Trilogy is still being worked on. They said as much in the actual video that broke the news.

Hmm, interesting. It seems weird that they'd push forward with Rian Johnson's trilogy, but cancel the safer ideas like the Boba and Obi-Wan movies. One of the articles says that Lucasfilm doesn't want any more "new or unusual" directors working on their movies. That's the pure definition of Rian Johnson. On the other hand, Ron Howard is an established director and he made the movie that flopped. I still have a feeling they have no clue what they're doing.

They probably like the notion of a solid trilogy written out in advance rather than the model they used with the ST of making it up as they go.

Dollars to donuts that the Johnson trilogy will be axed next.

Everything aside, I hope this isn't the end of anthology films for good. I like the idea of non-trilogy films. But maybe make sure you have finished scripts and directors on the same page as the executives before you start filming.

Johnson claimed a couple of months he wasn't going to start work any time soon and was hoping to work on other non-SW material.

Another series of Star Wars films will inevitably be made at some point, with or without Johnson.

Well GoT creators were signed to write their own series of films as well, right? But that one can't be that far along.

Aren't Benioff and Weiss working on Confederate for HBO as well?

Hmm, interesting. It seems weird that they'd push forward with Rian Johnson's trilogy, but cancel the safer ideas like the Boba and Obi-Wan movies. One of the articles says that Lucasfilm doesn't want any more "new or unusual" directors working on their movies. That's the pure definition of Rian Johnson. On the other hand, Ron Howard is an established director and he made the movie that flopped. I still have a feeling they have no clue what they're doing.

The safer ideas are the one that are least likely to make any money in the box office. Lucasfilm needs to expand the universe, not make it smaller.

Rian Johnson is also a proven hand at this point when it comes to SW. Aside from hyperbolic vitriol from a vocal minority, TLJ was both a critical and financial success, and had the smoothest production out of any of the Disney SW films.

But, if for some reason his trilogy is cancelled, that might be the end of my interest in Disney Star Wars, and will show that they're learning all the wrong lessons.

The problem is not the anthology films themselves (as R1 did very well for them), but the fact that they weren't on the same page with the original directors, the amount of money they spent on the reshoots and an overcrowded summer release date (along with TLJ's release being so recent). Also, I don't think many people were excited for a Han Solo movie without Harrison Ford.

It's a shame about a lot of these cinematic universes failing because they have a lot of potential, but they keep on sucking. Especially Star Wars

But, if for some reason his trilogy is cancelled, that might be the end of my interest in Disney Star Wars, and will show that they're learning all the wrong lessons.

It wouldn't end my interest as it's Star Wars, but yeah, I'm hoping it's a simple business decision as opposed to paying any mind to fake fans making noise on Twitter.

I've personally never really been interested in standalone movies anyway. I think they dilute the episodic nature of the movie franchise and the event movie feel that is a new Star Wars film. By their very nature, the standalone movies are never going to be particularly interesting or drive the larger story of 'Star Wars' forward in any meaningful way.

Last edited:
They should've held Solo to December. It would've given people time to get over TLJ and start craving the product again.

Next they need to plot a direction and get film makers on board to determine what films would best supplement and expand the Universe. Honestly they could even source the old novels. Then they need to determine if the Mainline Episodes will continue or end after IX.

The safer ideas are the one that are least likely to make any money in the box office. Lucasfilm needs to expand the universe, not make it smaller.

Well, TFA is the safest movie that Lucafilm has done, and it's made the most money.

You don't need to release a new movie every year. That simple IMO.

Star Wars is not the same as Marvel.

You don't need to release a new movie every year. That simple IMO.

Star Wars is not the same as Marvel.

I think Star Wars could release a movie a year (or even more) if they planned these movies out and set up a true cinematic universe.

Part of the problem is that these movies haven't really connected in any significant way yet. We have references to Rebels in Solo, but nothing that contributes to an overall film storyline. For instance, maybe that Darth Maul cameo could have been a younger Snoke.

Marvel can sustain multiple movies a year because they're contributing to an overall story, and people are excited to see wow it plays out. Even Ant-Man 2 ties into the Infinity War storyline, even though it takes place before it. Why get exited for something like Solo? How does it enrich the overall story of Star Wars outside of filling in pointless gaps in time?

I tend to ignore these types of negative stories, especially when the "reporters" quote rumours as facts - like saying the James Mangold Boba Fett film was actually announced. And I don't think a studio should respond to gossip either.

However, I will admit that this time the rumours have me worried and I'd really like Lucasfilm to make an official announcement of regarding the nest Star Wars Story movie or the TV show.

I'm probably worried over nothing and more prone to gloominess because of the recent nastiness connected to the fandom.

It wouldn't end my interest as it's Star Wars, but yeah, I'm hoping it's a simple business decision as opposed to paying any mind to fake fans making noise on Twitter.

I've personally never really been interested in standalone movies anyway. I think they dilute the episodic nature of the movie franchise and the event movie feel that is a new Star Wars film. By their very nature, the standalone movies are never going to be particularly interesting or drive the larger story of 'Star Wars' forward in any meaningful way.

Lucasfilm knows the difference between Star Wars fans and those trolls on the internet. They will not react to them.

I also hope they are not over reacting to the box office on Solo. The Story movies so far have been better than the Sequels (and I love the Sequels) and they should just continue with those projects.

Last edited:
I think Star Wars could release a movie a year (or even more) if they planned these movies out and set up a true cinematic universe.

Part of the problem is that these movies haven't really connected in any significant way yet. We have references to Rebels in Solo, but nothing that contributes to an overall film storyline. For instance, maybe that Darth Maul cameo could have been a younger Snoke.

Marvel can sustain multiple movies a year because they're contributing to an overall story, and people are excited to see wow it plays out. Even Ant-Man 2 ties into the Infinity War storyline, even though it takes place before it. Why get exited for something like Solo? How does it enrich the overall story of Star Wars outside of filling in pointless gaps in time?

I think they could have but they would have needed much more variety and to explore that big galaxy of planets, alien races, creatures and force users out there.

I think they could have but they would have needed much more variety and to explore that big galaxy of planets, alien races, creatures and force users out there.

That's what I want to see too. And there's no reason why they can't do stories about new stuff and also do movies about familiar characters. I think I'd be more open to fanservice-y movies like Solo if they spaced them out and made them more sparingly.

That's what I want to see too. And there's no reason why they can't do stories about new stuff and also do movies about familiar characters. I think I'd be more open to fanservice-y movies like Solo if they spaced them out and made them more sparingly.

How is Solo a "fanservice"? They used a few elements of Han's history previously mentioned on screen or in his back story but I don't see how it was pandering to fans.

Also, they've only made four movies - it isn't like Lucasfilm is clogging up the cinemas with films.

A movie a year isn't that much.

Last edited:
They should've held Solo to December. It would've given people time to get over TLJ and start craving the product again.

Next they need to plot a direction and get film makers on board to determine what films would best supplement and expand the Universe. Honestly they could even source the old novels. Then they need to determine if the Mainline Episodes will continue or end after IX.

How many people need to "get over TLJ"? How many people disliked it and how many loved it? How many people who disliked TLJ were immature enough to hold it against the next movie?

If Lucasfilm start making business decisions based on social media then Star Wars is done for.

There are other real reasons why Solo should have been held until December - an already packed cinema schedule of proven blockbusters, to allow reshoots to include Michael K. Williams's mo-cap Dryden Vos, no big name competition at Christmas, etc.

Lucasfilm already has film makers on board to expand the universe.

I would imagine that Kennedy and company have decided long ago whether the Saga movie end with the ST or whether they carry on.

Abrams and Kasdan (and I'd suspect it was more Abrams' doing) painted the Saga into a corner by rebooting the Empire, Emperor and Vader and the Rebels rather than creating something truly brand new.

Kylo Ren, Spoke, the new stormtroopers & vehicles are all great and I love TFA but I'm not blind to the fact that it was all to get familiar, iconic images to put on movie posters.

Abrams made the GFFA too small.

I've got nowhere near the imagination of Abrams, Kasdan, etc. but I can think of a dozen ways to incorporate those familiar designs to attract attention without making the primary villains just the Empire again.

Now the story's a game of ping-pong.

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Culture/multiple-films-star-wars-pipeline-sources/story?id=56057987

Reports of the death of future standalone films from that galaxy far, far away (like "Solo," "Rogue One" and a rumored -- but never-announced -- Obi-Wan Kenobi project) appear to be premature, and speculative at best.

Lucasfilm sources on Thursday characterized as "inaccurate" a report that future "Star Wars" movies falling outside of the regular trilogy storyline (Episodes I to IX) have been put on hold in the wake of the box office under-performance of "Solo: A Star Wars Story."

Instead, Lucasfilm told ABC News there are still "multiple" Star Wars films currently in development that have not been officially announced. Those projects are moving forward separate from an already-announced "Star Wars" trilogy being overseen by "The Last Jedi" director Rian Johnson and another series of movies from "Game of Thrones" producers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss.

https://**************.net/2018/06/rumor-mos-eisley-spaceport-film-postponed-obi-wan-and-fett-live/

A Mos Eisley Spaceport film?! Really? If this is true, cancelling it was a smart move. If people rejected Solo, they'd definitely reject this.

What would it even be about? The Mos Eisley Spaceport served it's purpose in ANH...to get the characters off Tatooine. I don't think a movie confined to that single location would go over very well.

Shell Gas Station: The Movie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"