No Hard Feelings (Jennifer Lawrence, Ebon Moss-Bachrach)

Kane52630

T-800 User
Reaction score
‘No Hard Feelings’ Trailer: Jennifer Lawrence Comedy First Look – Deadline

The Jennifer Lawrence-starring comedy No Hard Feelings now has a trailer. The Sony/Columbia pic, directed by Gene Stupnitsky from Good Boys and Bad Teacher fame, hits theaters June 23.

Like her previous film the intimate PTSD drama Causeway, which landed her co-star Brian Tyree Henry an Oscar nomination, Lawrence produces and stars in this one. But befitting the Stupnitsky DNA, this is a 180-degree turn for the Oscar winner.

She stars in the hard-edged comedy as Maddie, a woman who seems to have trouble making good life decisions. When she realizes she’s on the brink of losing her childhood home, she discovers an intriguing job listing: wealthy helicopter parents looking for someone to “date” their introverted 19-year-old son Percy (Andrew Feldman) before he leaves for college.

Matthew Broderick and Laura Benanti play Percy’s parents, while Natalie Morales and Scott MacArthur are Maddie’s pals. The Bear’s Ebon Moss-Bachrach also stars.

Stupnitsky wrote he script with John Phillips; Sony picked up the rights in October 2021 in an auction for the package that had stiff competition. Judging from the trailer that dropped today, it looks like Lawrence dives in.

Alex Saks, Marc Provissiero, Naomi Odenkirk, Lawrence and Justine Ciarrochi are producing. Phillips and Kerry Orent are executive producers.

Took all of two seconds for me to see some dumb-dumb accuse this movie of grooming.

Good trailer, though.

I actually laughed lol might see it with my gf

Took all of two seconds for me to see some dumb-dumb accuse this movie of grooming.

Good trailer, though.

I mean, my impression is that it is Statuatory Rape: The Movie. I was to uncomfortable to laugh during the trailer.

The trailer pretty clearly establishes him as 19

I mean, my impression is that it is Statuatory Rape: The Movie. I was to uncomfortable to laugh during the trailer.
Isn’t the son supposed to be college-aged?

I mean, it’s not great, but I think they know the kind of **** that would’ve gotten a pass in, like, 1985 just wouldn’t fly anymore.

It's bizzare how much controversy this trailer got, comedies like these used to get made all the time back in the day without any headline noise.
I mean, we’re living in an age where people can go on the internet and say with complete sincerity that it’s wrong to watch sex scenes because the characters didn’t give their consent for us to watch, so…

It looks very much like a throwback to the wild teen/college Sex Comedies of the 1980s like Risky Business, Fast Times At Ridgemont High, Revenge Of The Nerds, etc.

It's bizzare how much controversy this trailer got, comedies like these used to get made all the time back in the day without any headline noise.

I mean, switch the genders around. A mid 20's guy trying to get a graduating high school girl to hook up. I would imagine the outrage would be a bit more understandable then.

This looks great. Dreading the insufferable discourse that will come from it, but love that Lawrence is continuing her comeback with a fun, goofy role like this.

I mean, switch the genders around. A mid 20's guy trying to get a graduating high school girl to hook up. I would imagine the outrage would be a bit more understandable then.
Honestly, you’re basically describing Jennifer Lawrence’s roles when she started taking off and they began having her play love interests to guys 15 years her senior. I mean, she might not have been playing incoming college freshmen, but…

Except in those cases it was played straight. Which almost makes it weirder.

It must be incredibly hard to make these days but I miss a good raunchy rom com and this one is definitely giving me Apatow vibes in a good way.

I don't know, guys. Look, I'm no prude. But the premise of this film is just weird, to me.

Imagine a film where a 34 year old man is hired to take the v-card of 19 year old girl, and grinds on her and does crazy things to seduce her, when she's clearly uncomfortable (as the young guy in this trailer is).

That film would never, ever, be made in 2023.

It's just a little gross, to me. And tone-deaf if we're trying to get better as a society about consent and power dynamics with significant age gaps in relationships.

Imagine a film where a 34 year old man is hired to take the v-card of 19 year old girl, and grinds on her and does crazy things to seduce her, when she's clearly uncomfortable (as the young guy in this trailer is).

Do we know how old her character is suppose to be? Since its hollywood, I would even assume she is playing a 24 yo

Do we know how old her character is suppose to be? Since its hollywood, I would even assume she is playing a 24 yo

I wouldn't assume that.

But even so, the male character is clearly uncomfortable with her advances in multiple scenes, and clearly wants her to stop pursuing him.

And she doesn't. In an age where we're trying to send better messaging about consent and unwanted advances, it just feels gross, to me.

Flip the sexes of the characters, regardless of the benefit of the doubt of only a 5 year gap in age that you just said - and there'd be outrage over this film, and rightly so.

I'm a queer guy, so maybe I just have a different view on straight sexual relationships so the fact that the older character that is pursuing the younger one and disrespecting boundaries still feels wrong, to me.

Obviously pushing certain boundaries of taste and political correctness. But as long as the relationship is never actually consummated and the characters learn Important Lessons™ about themselves, any potential controversy is likely to be muted.

I hear your point. It reminds me of the end of Crazy Stupid Love when the older girl gives a 15 year old boy that was crushing on her a naked picture of herself, and it’s supposed to be a cute moment. But flip the genders and it would have never even been filmed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"