No love for BTM/Forever and Batman&Robin!?!?

TX85

Avenger
Reaction score
As overall Batman movies and even movies on there own I'll agree B89/BR/BB&TDK and perhaps even the 40's&50's serial are all much better and yes I can't forgive the nipples and yes I also agree that BTM(60's movie)/BF and B&R are full of cheesy/corny mania as well as characters being too over the top,But.....

I don't think there 100%full of crap!,IF you pay attention closely to the stories/Gotham being like a character on it's own/look of costumes/fight scenes and just so many things.....You'll realize that they are still faithful to some of the comics of the past and like cartoons come to life.

I know so many love&prefer the dark&serious side of Batman's world(I know I sure do),But comics from 60's-late 70's/toons from 60's-90's/60's tv show are all still part of batman's history and so these movies actually stayed true to the source material in many ways!,....It may not be part of the source material that YOU love the most....But I just think they do have there moments and that it really still is Batman!.

I just re-watched BF and B&R!,Sure I found many facepalm moments But I also still found some enjoyment and just pure overall fun!,I guess I think these movies are underrated.

Last edited:
I'd say those 2 films are 99% crap. The ONLY thing I enjoyed from the Shumacher versions was Jim Carrey's Riddler.

Last edited:
I like the flow of the Schumacher-movies. Burton´Batman 89 is boooringand heavily dated. Nolan´s Batman movies are "too real" and lack the "comic"-feel.
I like the look of the Schumacher-movies. I could do without half of the of puns in Batman&Robin, but overal I enjoy it and i prefer it to Baman 89 and Batman Forever. (another plus is that the Playstation game for the movie is oprobably the best Baatman-game ever).

The Riddler didn´t get enough screen-time in BF, Val Kilmer was miscast and Two-Face was "out-of-character" but overall it was enjoyable and more thrilling than B89 ... but I prefer B&R.

(another plus is that the Playstation game for the movie is oprobably the best Baatman-game ever).

Play Arkham Asylum and trust me, your opinion will change. That game blows all other Batman games (and other superhero games) out of the water.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of the 60s Adam West show and I do like Batman the movie. Essentially it's basically an extended episode of the tv show but since there are no dvds for the show out yet the movie is the only place I can get my POW! ZAM! WHAM! Batman fix.

The schumacher films...well, Batman Forever is a guilty pleasure of mine, it's by no means great but it's darn entertaining, and it brings back memories of when I was a 10 year old, when the 3 greatest things in my life were Batman, Power Rangers and Super Nintendo. :awesome:

Batman and Robin, on the other hand.....:barf:

I don't mind BTM. I consider it a parody anymore, although it was more true to the Batman of that time. It actually had some funny parts (shark and bomb scenes). Not to mention the rogue gallery was pretty impressive for 1 movie.

I have mixed feelings with Batman Forever. Visually it was like the comics in the 90's. The characterization with Bruce was actually pretty damn good. Even Dick Grayson wasn't that bad. The problem was the villains. Carrey's Riddler was so over the top and Two-Face was one dimensional and almost Joker-like. I also didn't like the few scenes of camp (Holy Rusted Metal, Batman and Chicks Dig the Car).

Batman and Robin is an abomination as far as I'm concerned. At least the 60's show was funny. Batman and Robin was just corny. It was like they were trying to be serious, but campy at the same time. That's not a good combination.

Batman 66 is now for me a golden bizarre comedy. In no way could you take it seriously, which can't have been the original intention to start with.

Batman Forever is fun I think, although I haven't seen it in ages. Fun, but nothing else.

Batman & Robin has no redemption.

I like BF though Two-Face was too much like the Joker wannabe. I grown up over the nipples etc...

BF is the reason why I became a fan. Love or hate they're still are Batman films. I can watch BF all the way to the end but I rarely watch B&R.

Last edited:
Batman : The Movie. I :hrt: it. I don't care what anyone says. It's not the definitive film, but it was camp, and that perfectly represented the Cheesy-Camp era that :ybat: was in at the time. So it gets a pass for the campiness.

Batman Forever : It's not the abomination it's made out to be, it's like Payaso said. Fun. nothing more or less than that.

Batman and Robin : Known to make the most hardcore alcoholics go sober. Although it is damn hilarious.

They all have some campy fun to them. But to me Batman should be dark, be it through Burton's fantasy or Nolan's grit.

As ridiculous as Batman and Robin is, it's my second favorite Batman movie ever. Not only is it a great comedy, it proves that even in some of the worst quality movies, Schwarzenegger is always entertaining. Plus, there's that metahumor in the near seizures it seems to cause in the hardcore Batfanboys. Laughter is a dangerous thing.

Im a HUGE fan of Burton and Nolan's Batmans, but Schumacher's Batman I just hate, just like Bruce Timm. I dont even want to own them for free and cant think of one redeeming quality. Theyre toy commercials

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to accept different opinions.

I'd love to debate why B&R is actually good. Not so much about why people who don't like it are lacking of something or any kind of personal remark.

I pretty much hate the two Schumacher films, but they definitely have a few redeeming qualities. For one, the scores by Elliot Goldenthal are legitimately good, especially Batman & Robin. And yes, B&R is good for a laugh, but it's hard not to think about how it nearly killed the franchise (and superhero movies in general) when watching it.

You need to accept different opinions.

I'd love to debate why B&R is actually good. Not so much about why people who don't like it are lacking of something or any kind of personal remark.

It's not good, and people who don't find anything redeeming in it don't have a sense of humor enough to appreciate bad movies.

Oh, also, it didn't kill or nearly kill superhero movies.

Not really. Most normal people barely remember it past the Governator being Mr. Freeze. It's all the Batman fanboys who cling to it as this great atrocity on mankind. Sure, it wasn't successful enough for WB to decide to continue making movies, but creatively, there's nothing preventing someone from making another Batman movie.

It's not good, and people who don't find anything redeeming in it don't have a sense of humor enough to appreciate bad movies.

Not necessarily. There are movies that one likes, and movies that one doesn't like. I don't think anyone should be required to force himself to like a movie or find a reason to like it. Schumacher's Batmans I don't like because they are neither entertaining for me, neither well written, nor what I would expect from Batman. I also think they are very juvenile and appealing primarily to a very young audience. I don't dislike them just because. They're just not my type of movies and I dislike the casting choices, the designs and many plot elements and characters.
The music is indeed good, but that's about the only thing I like about them. I grew up reading the 80's O'Neil Batman, and then I saw a similar representation the Goth Deco world of Burton's movies and TAS. So it's clear that what Schumacher's movies are is not what I grew up to be a fan of and a different aspect of the character and its world. I don't know how else can I "excuse" for not liking Schumacher's Bats

Last edited:
Sounds to me that you're taking Batman too seriously, but whatever, you're allowed to like and not like what you want, just like I am.

It's also part of what makes it fun.

True dat, it's also hilarious to see Batfans get their panties into a twist whenever something Bat-related comes along that isn't 100% grim and dark.

Sounds to me that you're taking Batman too seriously, but whatever, you're allowed to like and not like what you want, just like I am.

Not necessarily although I do think that Batman works best in a dark setting. However, even if Schumacher's Batmans weren't Batman movies and replaced him with some other hero, I still wouldn't like them. It's not that I think that they're bad Batman movies, I think they're bad movies period. And movies that are appealing mostly to a very young audience. Just like I cant sit through Power Rangers movie, for the same reasons I cant sit through Schumacher's Batmans

Schumacher's Batman movies are not funny. They're just cringe worthy and stupid. Growing plants on a planet that's frozen....really Ivy? And you're a Doctor of Botany?

Adam West's Batman, now that's funny, and entertaining, and doesn't pretend to be anything else other than straight up camp. That's why it works.

Said it before and I'll say it again and again. You people need to stop cringing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"