No way this is Phase 4

theMagic

Civilian
Reaction score
It takes place after Civil War. It should count as Phase 3.

Just saying folks.

If ever there’s a university of marvel this should be one of the PhD topics.

Wouldn’t that logic make the eternals a phase 0 film?

First off, Captain America: The First Avenger and Captain Marvel also take place in the past. This is no different than that. Hell, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 takes place shortly after Volume 1.

Second, the Marvel Phases at this point are a designation for which BluRay Collector Set they come in and nothing more. It's not worth over-thinking.

This is how I organize my digital MCU & X-Men libraries on my iMac... I tweak the actual Phases for my pleasure, and I typically base the time period of a film on it's latest year ala Captain America - The First Avenger.

Screen Shot 2019-09-16 at 1.08.17 AM.png

"Phase" doesn't even mean anything. It's an arbitary number of movies released during an arbitrary number of years. You'd think they'd at least all end with an Avengers movie, but nope. Only the first phase ends with an Avengers movie. So what's even the point?

BW fan that I am, I call it, Phase IT'S ABOUT DAMN TIME!
I mean Natasha had to wait quite awhile Y'all.

Phase is the batch of films done between a certain amount of time. Not when the film was set. If that were the case, then a lot of films would be rearranged and be in different phases.

We could be looking at this all wrong. Many people assume since it takes place mostly in the past and the fact that Natasha is dead in present time that this movie won't have any future implications - - and I think that couldn't be further from the truth. They've been working on this movie for over 2 years even before they had a director. I think this movie will play a critical role in setting up things to come.

First off we dont know with certainty what Marvel has up its sleeve--let's just say the rumors for Dark Avengers is true - - this movie could set the ground work for that and the characters introduced in this movie would be feutured more prominently in future projects. That's just o e example of how easy it could be to give this movie significant e in its current time line.

We are thinking way too small and limited thinking since it occurs in the past it can't set up this new phase. Kevin has shown he's a competent man so at the very least let's assume he knows what he's doing and if he purposely called this the start of a new phase he did it for a reason!

We could be looking at this all wrong. Many people assume since it takes place mostly in the past and the fact that Natasha is dead in present time that this movie won't have any future implications - - and I think that couldn't be further from the truth. They've been working on this movie for over 2 years even before they had a director. I think this movie will play a critical role in setting up things to come.

First off we dont know with certainty what Marvel has up its sleeve--let's just say the rumors for Dark Avengers is true - - this movie could set the ground work for that and the characters introduced in this movie would be feutured more prominently in future projects. That's just o e example of how easy it could be to give this movie significant e in its current time line.

We are thinking way too small and limited thinking since it occurs in the past it can't set up this new phase. Kevin has shown he's a competent man so at the very least let's assume he knows what he's doing and if he purposely called this the start of a new phase he did it for a reason!
I think that you are correct.
Time will tell.

Captain Marvel took place before Iron Man and yet it wasn't in Phase 1.

Last edited:
Where FFH served as more of an epilogue to Phase 4, this could be the prologue for things to come.

Where FFH served as more of an epilogue to Phase 4, this could be the prologue for things to come.
Creating a framework of things to come is something that I think could be this film’s secret weapon.

I mean, you want to make it clear to the audience that $#!+ is about to get funky, just imagine the implications of a post credit scene showing Yelena and Taskmaster both active and alive after the “Snap Back”... and make it clear they spent the five years up to something.

Or maybe Yelena is one of the people snapped back, only to find out what happened to Natasha, and then be contacted by Ross for a new purpose.

To be honest, Taskmaster and Yelena are both such clearly useful assets for a possible Dark Avengers or Thunderbolts story, that I’m salivating at the possibilities.

After watching both BW and Haweye, it's pretty obvious now that BW could and should have been a Phase 3 movie. The only connection it has to Phase 4 is that Yelena returns in Hawkeye...but characters return from old movies all the time in the MCU, just ask Jane, Darcy, Trevor Slattery, and Sharon Carter.

After watching both BW and Haweye, it's pretty obvious now that BW could and should have been a Phase 3 movie. The only connection it has to Phase 4 is that Yelena returns in Hawkeye...but characters return from old movies all the time in the MCU, just ask Jane, Darcy, Trevor Slattery, and Sharon Carter.
Also Val was in Falcon and the Winter Soldier.
If they're building towards Thunderbolts in Phase 4, the intended introduction of Val in this show is a big part of that.

basically what it comes down to for what "phase" a movie is part of, or where they sit in the "viewing order" timeline... is what the after credit scene sets up

not based on the chronological timeline of when the movies are actually set

another example of this would be Ant-man and Wasp
technically set before/or simultaneous to, the evens of Infinity war, it came out after IW,
because, the credit scene would have been a spoiler/ or just confusing...

The after credits scene would've made just as much sense if it was after Endgame (assuming BW had released before Endgame), so that doesn't really make any difference. Actually, having that scene after Endgame would've made it feel less like Natasha's death was being overshadowed by Tony's, so it would've been a better placement.

(And while we're at it I would also remove Val loudly blowing her nose for the sake of bathos. You just can't help yourself, MCU, can you?)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"