• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Nocturnal Animals with Amy Adams and Jake Gyllenhaal

Fallen Angel

Earth Bound
Reaction score
http://variety.com/2015/film/news/j...s-tom-ford-nocturnal-animals-cast-1201459115/
Sources tell Variety that Amy Adams and Jake Gyllenhaal are in discussions to star in fashion designer Tom Ford’s thriller “Nocturnal Animals,” his second film as a director after 2009’s “A Single Man.”

Ford will write and direct and also produce along with George Clooney and Grant Heslov through their Smokehouse Pictures banner.

Based on the novel by Austin Wright titled “Tony and Susan,” the plot is described as a “story inside a story,” with the first part following a woman named Susan who receives a book manuscript from her ex-husband, a man whom she left 20 years earlier, asking for her opinion.

The second element follows the actual manuscript, called “Nocturnal Animals,” which revolves around a man whose family vacation turns violent and deadly. It also continues to follow the story of Susan, who finds herself recalling her first marriage and confronting some dark truths about herself.

Sources say actors were immediately drawn to the project when the script hit the market, and Adams was the first to sign on, as she was interested in the part of Susan, with Gyllenhaal pushing hard for the male lead.

Adams has received five Oscar nominations, most recently for best actress in “American Hustle.” Gyllenhaal has a history of strong dramatic roles with a dark edge.
Adams is about to start production on “Story of Your Life” opposite Jeremy Renner and can be seen next reprising the role of Lois Lane in “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.” She is repped by WME and Brillstein Entertainment.
Gyllenhaal is coming off his critically acclaimed role in “Nightcrawler” and has a strong 2015 ahead with the boxing pic “Southpaw,” the Working Title pic “Everest” and “Demolition” all bowing in 2015. He is repped by WME.

Last edited:
F-ck yeah! :awesome:

I absolutely loved 'A Single Man' so I'm looking forward to this already and then add in Adams and Gyllenhaal? Perfection. :hrt:

Aw, I just remembered that Amy and Jake were supposed to star in PSH's first directorial effort. :(

Last edited:
I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this, but...

Aw, I just remembered that Amy and Jake were supposed to star in PSH's first directorial effort. :(
:csad::csad::csad:

F-ck yeah! :awesome:

I absolutely loved 'A Single Man' so I'm looking forward to this already and then add in Adams and Gyllenhaal? Perfection. :hurt:

Oh yeah what happened to that movie? The script I read was good and this was before Jake's recent roles. I thought they would've made it to honour PSH.

Are they going to shorten the marriage from 20 years to 5 or 10 years?

Are they going to shorten the marriage from 20 years to 5 or 10 years?

Think it will be 20 years man going by the article.

The plot is described as a “story inside a story,” with the first part following a woman named Susan who receives a book manuscript from her ex-husband, a man whom she left 20 years earlier, asking for her opinion.

The second element follows the actual manuscript, called “Nocturnal Animals,” which revolves around a man whose family vacation turns violent and deadly. It also continues to follow the story of Susan, who finds herself recalling her first marriage and confronting some dark truths about herself.

To me, if the ex-couple is Jake and Amy, they're a little young for the roles, especially Jake. amy I can buy as a woman in her early to mid 30s, and even then 20 years is pushing it. Shouldn't they get some folks like Sandra Bullock and I don't know..Josh Brolin?

Jake is 35 but I get your point. It's pushing it if they go with 20 years.

What if Joaquin Phoenix who is also rumoured for the movie is the ex? Him and Amy are the same age and Jake is the character inside the novel created by Joaquin's character.

I really thought they were getting Julianne Moore for the female lead. She just won an Oscar, was in Ford's previous film and is a close friend of his.

Jake is 35 but I get your point. It's pushing it if they go with 20 years.

What if Joaquin Phoenix who is also rumoured for the movie is the ex? Him and Amy are the same age and Jake is the character inside the novel created by Joaquin's character.

Strictly on a visual level, they look too young to pull off the 20 year run. That's why I would buy it if it were 5-10 years.

I really thought they were getting Julianne Moore for the female lead. She just won an Oscar, was in Ford's previous film and is a close friend of his.

Yeah I thought that as well. Tom Ford did say last month at his fashion show that one of the ladies on the front row would star in his next movie. Who happened to be there you ask? Amy, Julianne, Scarlett Johansson, Reese Witherspoon and J-Lo. :funny:

Not sure when this is supposed to film but Amy's Janis Joplin project is back in limbo as the producers are getting sued to stop the film from happening. So I gather when this project came up she took it.

Last edited:
http://www.screendaily.com/festivals/cannes/filmnation-to-sell-nocturnal-animals/5087044.article?referrer=RSS&utm_source=1%26WT.tsrc%3Dtwitter%26WT.mc_id%3Dtwitter_twitterfeed_productionnews&utm_medium=twitter

FilmNation to sell Tom Ford's ‘Nocturnal Animals’ in Cannes

Glen Basner’s New York-based company will introduce the prestige mystery starring Amy Adams and Jake Gyllenhaal to international buyers next month.

Nocturnal Animals marks Tom Ford’s directorial follow-up to the highly regarded A Single Man, which earned Colin Firth a lead actor Oscar nomination in 2010. Ford will produce alongside Smokehouse Pictures’ George Clooney and Grant Heslov. CAA represents US rights.

:csad:

Will this affect the movie?

Probably not. Ford's first movie was successful and he's got an amazing cast lined up…another producer should pick it up in a heartbeat.

I'd love to know what the two got in a fight about.

^^
That article states' it was creative differences.

:csad:

Will this affect the movie?

Nope, Tom Ford is in Cannes with FilmNation looking for a deal with international and domestic distributors to fund the movie.

George Clooney had a deal with SONY Pictures for a first look deal on the movie.

https://twitter.com/filmnation/status/598797197522509824

Another big day for #FilmNation at #Cannes2015 #NocturnalAnimals #TomFord
CE9a3AOUIAEHXMJ.jpg

Last edited:
Tom Ford does not intend to sell domestic rights at the moment according to Deadline.

http://deadline.com/2015/05/three-g...nstein-company-cannes-deal-flurry-1201428156/

Meanwhile, the film that buyers covet most is Nocturnal Animals, an adaptation Tom Ford scripted of the Austin Wright novel Tony And Susan, with Jake Gyllenhaal and Amy Adams starring. Though he hasn’t shot a frame yet, the fashion icon and director of A Single Man made a strong impression on the buying crowd as he laid out his plans. From what I’m told, his busy CAA reps could right now sell this for a healthy 8-figures, but so far buyers tell me they’ve been told that’s not what Ford wants to do. He has the wherewithal to fund the modest-budget film himself if he wants to, and right now he is reluctant to tie down the domestic rights. At this point, the thinking is that Ford might make some offshore deals to cover part of the budget, and then come back and make a domestic deal later on. That would likely only strengthen his hand, as buyers believe he is the real deal and so is his film.

Will it be one of those things that the movie doesn't come out until a year after the international release overseas? Like how 'Fifth' was just randomly released here, and got buried.

And it's sold.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/cannes-tom-fords-nocturnal-animals-795650

Tom Ford's 'Nocturnal Animals' Sells Worldwide to Universal, Focus.

Tom Ford's second directorial outing, Nocturnal Animals, has quickly landed a worldwide home with Universal and Focus after the fashion designer personally outlined his vision for the project to buyers gathered in Cannes. Ford is eyeing a 2016 release. Amy Adams and Jake Gyllenhaal are set to star in the film, a thriller that marks Ford's follow up to A Single Man.

Sources peg the price at $20 million, which would mark the largest sale of this year's festival and one of the largest preemptive buys in history, rivaling the $20 million Paramount paid a year ago in Cannes for Story of Your Life, also starring Adams.

Universal will handle Nocturnal Animals internationally while Focus will release the film in the U.S.

^^
That article states' it was creative differences.

Of course it does. Don't they always?:woot:

Ford is a total control freak so it wouldn't surprise me that he butted heads with Clooney. He probably wants complete control and not have to worry about some producers opinions.

Good to see it sold already, yet not surprising.

Deadline reporter at Cannes spoke to Tom Ford last night, said production begins on October 1st.

http://deadline.com/2015/05/amfar-raises-30-million-star-studded-cannes-gala-1201431417/

Ford, fashion icon and film director (A Single Man), told me he is so excited to be starting his second film, Nocturnal Animals, which will star Gyllenhaal — they talked a long time before dinner started — and Amy Adams and “two other really good names,” he said. It rolls October 1, and he’s proud that it became the biggest deal of the festival for a reported $20 million in rights to Universal and Focus Features.

Has anyone read Austin Wright's novel? I'm about fifty pages from the end and I love it. The parts with Susan (who I'm guessing Amy Adams will be playing) reflecting on the writing and what she's read really rings true if you're an avid reader. She's wrapped up in it and, as she reads, there's something nagging in the back of her mind. One line that sticks out is "There are things in life the reading of no mere book can change." Since that line comes from one of Susan's parts--when she's reading the book--it makes me wonder what devilish secrets have yet to be revealed.

I'm kinda bummed that the title Prisoners is already taken because that would also be a good name for this book/movie--Susan is a prisoner in that she's enthralled by her ex-husband's (Joaquin Phoenix?) writing and the story itself that she's reading deals with prisoners, to an extent.

I'm excited to finish it and am very excited to see the movie. I've never seen A Single Man, but I'm eager to see that now.

Thank's dude.

I found out my aunt has this book so I'll get it from her to read it. But seeing as Tom Ford said that the first part will be similar to the book and the second half of the movie will be totally different. So I'm not sure by reading the book, I'll get a decent idea how the movie will turn out.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"