Ohio's Supreme Court backs the firing of a creationist science teacher

DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs

Avenger
Reaction score
ku-xlarge.png

In a case that's lasted five years, the Supreme Court of Ohio upheld the termination of John Freshwater, an eighth-grade science teacher who refused to remove religious content from his class. But the decision was reached for a different reason than you may think.

This story started in 2008, when a local family sued Freshwater and the district for engaging in inappropriate religious activity. After an investigation, the Mount Vernon City School board set the ball in motion to terminate his employment — a protracted process that required over two years and over 80 witnesses (some of whom said the teacher decorated his classroom with Bible verses — and even branded a Christian cross onto a student's arm with a high-voltage coil). He was finally fired in 2011. Soon after Freshwater mounted his appeal, a case that eventually made its way to the Ohio Supreme Court.

In its decision, the Court wrote (emphasis added):

After detailed review of the voluminous record in this case, we hold that the court of appeals did not err in affirming the termination. The trial court properly found that the record supports, by clear and convincing evidence, Freshwater's termination for insubordination in failing to comply with orders to remove religious materials from his classroom. Accordingly, based on our resolution of this threshold issue, we need not reach the constitutional issue of whether Freshwater impermissibly imposed his religious beliefs in his classroom. We affirm the judgment of the court of appeals because there was ample evidence of insubordination to justify the termination decision.
So in other words, Freshwater was fired NOT because he was teaching creationism in science class, but because he failed to comply with orders. The Court made great pains to make this point clear. In a section headed "Teaching of Creationism and Intelligent Design Alongside Evolution Generally Disfavored," the court commented:

We recognize that this case is driven by a far more powerful debate over the teaching of creationism and intelligent design alongside evolution...Here, we need not decide whether Freshwater acted with a permissible or impermissible intent because we hold that he was insubordinate, and his termination can be justified on that basis alone.

Consequently, the Court's decision cannot be used as a precedent to prevent creationism from being taught in other science classes. Which is disappointing. How amazing and brave would it have been to see the Court take the case to the next level and declare that religion-driven pseudoscience has no place inside the science classroom?

That said — and this is important — so long as a school board is pro-science and willing to uphold its mandate, the Ohio Supreme Court's decision could conceivably be used as justification to fire other creationist teachers. But as we know, not all jurisdictions feel the same way about this issue.

Ok, dude BRANDED A CHILD with a freaking cross and that wasn't enough for a termination. Seriously wtf? Glad this idiot and his special brand of moron aren't going to be influencing anymore impressionable minds

They chose the least important of the charges to justify his expulsion. It's a hollow victory.

Sorry that he lost his job, but yay for reason! I'm sure he can get a job from a creationist museum or some other religious based "school".

I despise men such as this, and the ideology behind their need to bring their false beliefs in to the public sphere, but the court decision makes sense. It would be a little bit beyond the scope of the case for the court to make a pronouncement on religion in the classroom. This was a clear case of an unqualified, obnoxious, unprofessional teacher failing to follow the curriculum he was paid to teach.

Now, there would be a case for suing a school board for having religious dogma in the science curriculum. But that's not what happened here.

Is that a pic of him? Looks like a freak of nature. The public education field is so screwed. Good teachers can't get hired, and bad teachers can't get fired.

EDIT: If that's actually a pic of a caveman in some creationist exhibit, I'm going to be a little embarrassed.

That's him on the left. He looks a bit reptilian to me.

I wonder how long before the debate starts.

timebomb_zps8889f994.gif

:funny:

Nah, nobody wants to debate this. Creationism is bull****, everybody knows that. Right? :awesome:

I think it's fine if the guy has beliefs but if he's gone nuts with it and forcing it on kids, boot him.

Also, JJJ? There's a pretty good chance he's not in the pic at all. :p

I don't know, I think believing in creationism should preclude you from becoming a science teacher.

If you take religion out of the equation, it's like hiring a math teacher who insists 1+1 is 3. He probably should not be teaching kids math.

The proper role of a court is to decide the case that's in front of it. The overarching political issue should be irrelevant.

I don't know, I think believing in creationism should preclude you from becoming a science teacher.

If you take religion out of the equation, it's like hiring a math teacher who insists 1+1 is 3. He probably should not be teaching kids math.

You can believe what you want to outside of the classroom as long as you aren't imposing it on others in the classroom.

I don't care what a teacher or professor's personal convictions are outside of the classroom, but branding the student is way out of line.

You can believe what you want to outside of the classroom as long as you aren't imposing it on others in the classroom.

Evidently not, if your beliefs fundamentally contradicts what you're supposed to be teaching.

I once had a teacher who I'm pretty certain was a creationist but who also taught evolution competently, from what I can recall. *Shrugs*

I once had a teacher who I'm pretty certain was a creationist but who also taught evolution competently, from what I can recall. *Shrugs*

Never having met a creationist who understood evolution (and I've met a lot), I have a hard time imagining that. But okay, I'll take you word for it. Still, I would prefer someone who actually believes in science... teaching science.

Maybe I'm just prejudiced that way. Certainly would put an end to this nonsense.

So how is this different from professors who teach anti-God to their classrooms? Especially ones that aren't exactly on topic with their subject? The age of the students vary, but the principle is the same. If a professor was fired for trying to prove to his class that there is no God (as I know many have done... my wife having had several), would it be as supported as this situation seems to be?

He should've definitely been fired for branding that kid, and jailed to boot.

On the matter of his cirriculum, I'm not aware of any existing U.S. law banning the teaching of Creation in public schools. Some states say it can only be offered as an elective, but I think all fifty still allow it generally. The problem is that so many in the educational system aren't just atheistic, but malicious toward Christians as people, not just their ideals. I'm reminded of a phrase which, sadly, is all too accurate nowadays... :(

"We're living in a society where the only thing not tolerated is intolerance".

So how is this different from professors who teach anti-God to their classrooms? Especially ones that aren't exactly on topic with their subject? The age of the students vary, but the principle is the same. If a professor was fired for trying to prove to his class that there is no God (as I know many have done... my wife having had several), would it be as supported as this situation seems to be?
The main difference between the two is that unlike Creation or the Bible, teaching macro-evolution is tax-supported. It all started back in the 1950s, when textbooks were rewritten because the Russians beat us into space with the Sputnik satellite. What macro-evolution has to do with space travel, I still don't know...

Evidently not, if your beliefs fundamentally contradicts what you're supposed to be teaching.

I can believe men are from mars and still teach evolution. One does not effect the other. Of course not everyone is like this but for the most part there is no reason for a persons beliefs to bar them from a job.

He should've definitely been fired for branding that kid, and jailed to boot.

On the matter of his cirriculum, I'm not aware of any existing U.S. law banning the teaching of Creation in public schools. Some states say it can only be offered as an elective, but I think all fifty still allow it generally. The problem is that so many in the educational system aren't just atheistic, but malicious toward Christians as people, not just their ideals. I'm reminded of a phrase which, sadly, is all too accurate nowadays... :(

"We're living in a society where the only thing not tolerated is intolerance".

I think people being malicious toward Christians in situations like this comes from a good number of Christians living the "it's us versus them" mentality... and this is coming from me, who has been a Christian for 17 years. I know i used to have that, where I felt I had to constantly show and defend my faith, and the more people protested, the harder I shouted. If I would have worked in that school in my younger years, and I was told to remove my Bible, I'd keep it there and the posters and declare that it was my right and consider it a war against those who would war against God.

I'm not like that anymore, but looking back, I can see why so many people can not only be atheistic, but against Christians in general. Who knows what this teacher has done in the past to rile his bosses, but he obviously wasn't listening to their rules.

The main difference between the two is that unlike Creation or the Bible, teaching macro-evolution is tax-supported. It all started back in the 1950s, when textbooks were rewritten because the Russians beat us into space with the Sputnik satellite. What macro-evolution has to do with space travel, I still don't know...

Maybe I'm just stupid (and I'm pretty sure I am) but I'm not connecting the dots of this statement to my question. I'm also very tired, so that could be it as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"