Opinion on the Hulk's use in the MCU

General Ross could genuinely have been any other government character and nothing would have changed in those movies.

I think the only downfall for MCUs Hulk is not using any of his supporting cast in any of the films.

rick-jones-first-appearance.jpg

242d21a98bd31fe52832152037e488e6.jpg

197500-163987-rick-jones_super1.jpg

6P-Q3boV.jpg

If you make it happen Marvel I'll actually say WandaVision was good.

You're of course welcome to your opinion, but this is unquestionably more impressive than anything '08 Hulk ever did:

5987519-4606107-yxbmlm.gif

Norton Hulk struggled to lift a Humvee and was losing to Abom, who is basically an inferior version of himself. I fail to see how he would defeat Thanos.

The thing is both Norton and Lee’s hulk had the one thing that made him hulk. The madder he got the stronger he got. That’s his power, but the MCU just completely did away with that. You see it in Norton’s version when he overcomes the sound machine and again at the end battling abomination. You see it with Lee’s hulk when he fights against the dogs and his battle against the army before releasing it all on his dad at the end! You even here Nolte say it’s not stopping take it back!

That one thing is greater than anything we saw in any avengers Movie and it’s the key to him being who he is. Without it he is just Ruffalo covered in green cgi or a hairless green gorilla walking on his knuckles.

So yeah, give me Norton anyday over the debacle the Russo’s put on screen!

Watching Hulk get wrecked by Thanos in the first 5 minutes of Infinity War was a stroke of genius.

The entire audience knows Hulk as a nearly unstoppable force and Thanos drops him in less than 3 minutes. You sacrifice Hulk to an extent to make Thanos a terrifying villain. It worked.

Then where do you go from there? A Professor Hulk who went through Jungian Individuation. Not a bad evolution for a character who became one note over the course of 5 or 6 films.

I will say while I love the running "the sun's going down" joke in Thor Ragnarok, I really disliked the Hulk toddler behavior in his room. It was a bit cringey.

Why not let him wreck Thor then if that’s your logic ? Thor had just beat the Hulk solidly in Ragnorok. Not really even worth debating or talking about at this point, it’s over. So hopefully they leave him out of any future outing and stick with Danvers. I can guarantee I won’t be there for any of that stuff, thank goodness. To each their own

"Sun's getting real low" in Ragnarok and Deadpool 2 and the Cap PSA's & America's Ass both retroactively salvaged two of Whedon's worst creative decisions in Avengers.

I'm glad the Russos spared us one armed & much smaller Smart Hulk taking on Thanos and his copter blade. Howard the Duck may have stood a better chance.

I grew up with petulant toddler Hulk, and I would have preferred he stuck around for more than one film. I'm hoping Bruce has another transformation in him (Joe Fixit?). The She Hulk series could give Feige and company an excuse to change things up again.
Could you elaborate more on Whedon's worst creative decisions?

In the comics, Hulk was sometimes smart, but then lost control of it and became a savage again. From at least about #270 to nearly #300 of the Incredible Hulk comic, he had Banner's intelligence but was slowly losing it, and more rapidly towards the end. I think Nightmare might have even contributed to that. Then by #300 he was completely mindless and had to be banished to other dimensions by Dr Strange where he wandered until about #313.

Now granted, this was before the Professor Hulk persona, but they could easily incorporate some of this storyline. No need to regress him to a full-on mindless beast, but do make him more like the classic savage Hulk again or especially like Defenders Hulk who was savage but still could function as a team member. He even bought hundreds of cans of beans at the supermarket as the Hulk.

Opinion of Hulk's use in MCU.

Not good except in the first Avengers movie. I liked Norton's Hulk and thought Taika did a good job in Ragnarok.

Nice story, (fake or real, i'm leaning towards fake), Feige only confirmed Hulk appearing in the She-hulk Disney+ series, so i dont know how true this really is.
And I listened to it twice, still clouldnt hear the source of the Hulk solo movie leak.

I have a hard time understanding why people would be excited about a movie adaption of one of the worst Hulk stories ever written. Yes, Civil War, but Civil War came from a creative team with an established track record at that point.

It's a difficult one with the Hulk because of course universal own his rights. That doesn't leave much wriggle room for the MCU. I think what they've done has been good though. We've seen Hulk develop now he's professor Hulk which a lot of people wanted to see.

Now I think he continues to play a supporting role but perhaps less than he has in the past. Let's not forget they had a power issue with Hulk as he's so powerful but now he's permanently damaged with his arm.

I would have liked more explanation though as to why Hulk refused to help out in IW. Felt that way brushed over in Endgame.

The Hulk disappeared around 2012, although I preferred the 2008 version where he was a beast rather than a joke that kept getting worse until he peaked in Ragnarok and last Avengers.

SG1hgn.gif

Hulk is now a mascot to make people laugh and take part in action scenes, there is no longer the element of horror, the duality of Jeckyll and Hyde or the Frankenstein tragedy we saw in TIH.

tumblr_n8bhthv2Av1rg0lgoo1_500.gif

Last edited:
As someone who only knows these characters from the movies (and then looks up these characters online after they are announced the first time) I don't mind the changes to Hulk.

The thing is both Norton and Lee’s hulk had the one thing that made him hulk. The madder he got the stronger he got. That’s his power, but the MCU just completely did away with that. You see it in Norton’s version when he overcomes the sound machine and again at the end battling abomination. You see it with Lee’s hulk when he fights against the dogs and his battle against the army before releasing it all on his dad at the end! You even here Nolte say it’s not stopping take it back!

That one thing is greater than anything we saw in any avengers Movie and it’s the key to him being who he is. Without it he is just Ruffalo covered in green cgi or a hairless green gorilla walking on his knuckles.

So yeah, give me Norton anyday over the debacle the Russo’s put on screen!
I hate to reply to older posts, but the MCU still kept Hulk's ability to get stronger as he got angrier. It just wasn't as obvious as it was in TIH or Ang Lee's Hulk (where it was really obvious as he just kept growing bigger). It was shown in the Helicarrier fight with Thor in the first Avengers. He could have ended up wrecking the whole ship if he wasn't distracted by the jet. It was definitely there when he went on the rampage in Africa in AOU. He had a building dropped on him and he was still ready to keep going until Iron Man sucker punched him. Also on that note, he can jump higher when he reaches a certain power level from his anger, which was how he was able to reach the Quinjet that Ultron was flying to toss him out of it like a ragdoll. It was also shown in the arena battle vs. Thor in Ragnarok. After Thor got the best of him, Hulk stopped playing around and really did some damage by pounding Thor into the ground.

Ruffalo hulk isn't scary intimidating like norton. the 2008 factory transformation scene is chilling.

But the 2008 transformation has nothing on the Incredible Hulk pilot first transformation which is not only the most chilling of all but the most dramatic and memorable with the thunder and lightning and the eerie chanting sound of hundreds of voices at once. The whole pilot is like a horror movie.

But the 2008 transformation has nothing on the Incredible Hulk pilot first transformation which is not only the most chilling of all but the most dramatic and memorable with the thunder and lightning and the eerie chanting sound of hundreds of voices at once. The whole pilot is like a horror movie.
I've never seen this pilot.

I hate to reply to older posts, but the MCU still kept Hulk's ability to get stronger as he got angrier. It just wasn't as obvious as it was in TIH or Ang Lee's Hulk (where it was really obvious as he just kept growing bigger). It was shown in the Helicarrier fight with Thor in the first Avengers. He could have ended up wrecking the whole ship if he wasn't distracted by the jet. It was definitely there when he went on the rampage in Africa in AOU. He had a building dropped on him and he was still ready to keep going until Iron Man sucker punched him. Also on that note, he can jump higher when he reaches a certain power level from his anger, which was how he was able to reach the Quinjet that Ultron was flying to toss him out of it like a ragdoll. It was also shown in the arena battle vs. Thor in Ragnarok. After Thor got the best of him, Hulk stopped playing around and really did some damage by pounding Thor into the ground.

The point is if he is getting angrier then he actually gets stronger . It’s like a battery recharge , it just keeps on going. Being sucker punched would have just added to it. No way stark walks out of there if we are talking about hulk’s strength and durability increasing with his rage.

Ruffalo took a serious character and played him for laughs. Made him unwatchable. The thing we see in endgame is not the hulk and really doesn’t even seem in line with any professor hulk or merged hulk that I’ve ever read about or seen. He’s just Ruffalo in green cgi, being Ruffalo . Give me an actor that respects the character .

The point is if he is getting angrier then he actually gets stronger . It’s like a battery recharge , it just keeps on going. Being sucker punched would have just added to it. No way stark walks out of there if we are talking about hulk’s strength and durability increasing with his rage.

Ruffalo took a serious character and played him for laughs. Made him unwatchable. The thing we see in endgame is not the hulk and really doesn’t even seem in line with any professor hulk or merged hulk that I’ve ever read about or seen. He’s just Ruffalo in green cgi, being Ruffalo . Give me an actor that respects the character .
You're pinning too much of the blame on Ruffalo. It wasn't his decision as much as it was Taika Waititi, the Russos, and Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely to take the character in that direction.

I wish they'd go back to the tragic monster Hulk. To me that's who he is. I don't think the others are bad or "wrong" they all have their merits, but to me fundamentally, that's who he is and where he started or at least really gelled and was the most interesting.

I recently watched the first season of the 90's cartoon. It was great! That's a good way to see Hulk adapted to film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"