Paper Girls- Amazon

Sithborg

Pretty in pink
Reaction score

Based on the Brian K Vaugh comic. Looks fun. Seems to go to crazy places.

I'll give it a shot. Looks like a girl power Stranger Things-ish with time travel.

This comic is a masterpiece... they better not let me down.

Oddly, Amazon did a full upload for this series.

2 episodes down, and I'm enjoying it. I really enjoy the girls dynamics.

Found the episode that is going to piss off/gross out the fragile men.

I feel for this show, in that it is going to be compared to Stranger Things, unfairly. About the only things it has in common is 4 kids in the 80s. This isn't a "love letter" to the 80s, rooted in pop culture view of the 80s. 6 episodes in, and only one episode was in the 80s. Stranger Things is rooted in horror, this very much in sci fi.

Yeah, I will take a mech fight over whatever horror creature they are doing on Stranger Things

Finished it. Loved it. Amazon better not cancel it.

Yeah I really enjoyed this. All the young actors are great, as are the adult characters (who doesn’t love Ali Wong?). Adina Porter was also really awesome in this. And damnnnn I have such a crush on Sekai Abeni (Adult Tiff). Marvel or DC, cast her as a superhero like NOW, I don’t even care which one.

The best scenes for me had to be the stuff with Mac and her brother in 2019. That REALLY got to me and both actors just crushed it. Wow. As someone currently battling cancer (prognosis is good on my end, fortunately), it hit home even more than it normally would have.

Also loved KJ discovering that she is queer and a Kubrick fan (two more things I can definitely relate to). It seems like KJ and Mac are developing feelings for each other (I know this happens in the comics), which is great. So often these shows will have one queer character in the core cast but it’s cool that this one has two.

My only criticism is that the characters sometimes behave really stupidly just to serve the plot, particularly once they get to 1999. You had people literally sacrificing themselves so the girls could escape but they just… sit there and watch. And it wasn’t just once. I hope that in future seasons they don’t make these kinds of mistakes. Still a great show and I hope it’s able to tell its full story rather than being cut off at the knees like The Wilds.

I like the war between the Old Watch and the STF, add in time travel and all sorts of possibilities open up, they could go all Quantum Leap and jump into their parents or even grandparents timelines, lots of things to explore.

One thing I really liked was
the idea of time rifts opening up at certain points. That allows for a sense of tension in that you can only travel at certain points in time and if you miss it, you’re screwed. So often with time travel stories, there’s all this needless panic and it doesn’t really make sense because characters have the ability to go back at any moment and fix things. But having the rifts solves that problem.

I was rolling at the tampon scene. I'm sure those upset at Turning Red and Baymax exploded with rage with that whole scene, but it was great.

Love the chemistry of the girls.

Just started watching, I'm really liking it so far. Mac reminds me of Edward Furlong in T2. Her whole look and the way she acts. They had to be going for that, it's too obvious.

Finally finished this last night and I actually really enjoyed it and would love to see a Season 2. I honestly wasn't sure about it at first, but it won me over once it got to the 4th episode.

Unlike that new Resident Evil show the writing for the younger characters in this actually felt authentic and it helps that the kids do have pretty great chemistry throughout the show.

There's some really interesting/creative ideas introduced in this as well, but my favorite stuff was easily the
more emotional scenes with Mac and her older brother and also Tiff meeting the adult version of herself in 99 was pretty great too and man the actress they got to play the adult version of her is absolutely gorgeous.

Never found time to fit this in, sadly...

Loved the comic series - was tepid to start it even though I also love Cantwell (H&CF); figured Amazon kept the budget tight. Was s1 just the first 6 issues or so?

Last edited:
Well, that sucks. I was actually kind a looking forward to watching this, but since they’re not continuing it and I have heard it ends on a cliffhanger, I’m not even sure if I want to invest my time in some thing that will never finish.

They're tending to become Netflix 2.0 on that aspect. They did the same thing with Night Sky, too. I hope they at least renew Outer Range.

That sucks, Amazon should've given it a chance to grow and actually promote it instead of just silently dumping it.

This. I’ve been saying for years that this strategy of “barely promote anything until right before the release” is a recipe for disaster for these streaming shows. Sometimes it works but more often than not, it results in people completely missing something like this great show. Damn it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"