• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Penn State/Jerry Sandusky Child Sex Scandal

Yurka

Let The Games Begin!
Reaction score
Most of you have probably heard by now that former Penn State defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky has been arrested and charged with 40 counts of child sex abuse spanning over a 15 year period.

As someone who grew up in State College, PA, and actually knew Jerry Sandusky and various other individuals in this case, this is truly shocking.

Most shocking and saddening to me however is that this will be publics final perception of Joe Paterno, even though based on the evidence at this time it seems he did nothing wrong, (in my opinion).

This is the full 23-page Grand Jury Presentment, it contains some graphic descriptions but I hope we can all be mature here.
http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2011/1107/espn_e_Sandusky-Grand-Jury-Presentment.pdf

Please discuss.

Most shocking and saddening to me however is that this will be publics final perception of Joe Paterno, even though based on the evidence at this time it seems he did nothing wrong, (in my opinion).

I'm sorry, but IF Joe Paterno knew of what was going on, and still said nothing, then he did something wrong.

He failed to act when innocent lives were screwed.

No pun intended.

And that is my opinion.

Yes this is indeed truly disturbing and definitely an unsettling set of circumstances. You just have to think about the victims and their families and what they've had to unfortunately endure. And the lack of moral responsibility that apparently happened following the situation just makes you angry.

I'm sorry, but IF Joe Paterno knew of what was going on, and still said nothing, then he did something wrong.

He failed to act when innocent lives were screwed.

No pun intended.

And that is my opinion.

Mike McQueary witnessed Sandusky raping a boy in the shower, and went to Joe, but did not disclose any specifics about what he saw.The way the info was presented to JoePa, it didn't sound as bad as it was. Joe then immediately called his boss based on the little details McQueary did give. What more would someone do given the situation? If he were a first-hand witness, of course he should have called the authorities, but given that it was second-hand information from a grad assistant, about a colleague Joe had known for decades, I'm proud he did as much as he did. But now he'll be crucified for not doing "enough".

Mike McQueary witnessed Sandusky raping a boy in the shower, and went to Joe, but did not disclose any specifics about what he saw.The way the info was presented to JoePa, it didn't sound as bad as it was. Joe then immediately called his boss based on the little details McQueary did give. What more would someone do given the situation? If he were a first-hand witness, of course he should have called the authorities, but given that it was second-hand information from a grad assistant, about a colleague Joe had known for decades, I'm proud he did as much as he did. But now he'll be crucified for not doing "enough".
Well Joe will have an opportunity to answer questions in the near future I'm sure. His tenure at Penn State is coming to an end so I guess it won't matter. It's sad that that decision has already been made before he could say a word though.

Well Joe will have an opportunity to answer questions in the near future I'm sure. His tenure at Penn State is coming to an end so I guess it won't matter. It's sad that that decision has already been made before he could say a word though.

Indeed, it's even more sad that his entire legacy will no doubt be tainted because he simply didn't do enough.

If anyone should be held responsible for not doing "enough" it's McQueary.

this is my first time hearing about any of this. wow.

guess this is the case that a recent Law&Order episode was based on, except in the show they used basketball

This is going to tarnish the school's reputation for a long time. I've been talking to other alumni and a lot feel Paterno should resign.

This is going to tarnish the school's reputation for a long time. I've been talking to other alumni and a lot feel Paterno should resign.

What's yet even more terrible about this whole situation is that this was the last year of his contract and many thought this would be his last year before this whole scandal developed, now, of course, it will be the reason :o

What's yet even more terrible about this whole situation is that this was the last year of his contract and many thought this would be his last year before this whole scandal developed, now, of course, it will be the reason :o

Yeah, I do feel bad for him about that. His record will be tainted by this scandal and people will think it was this that forced him to leave and not natural retirement.

The whole thing is sickening.

I had to take a shower after reading the transcript of the Grand Jury Testimony. This has been in cover up mode for a while all in an effort to get Joe Pa to the wins record. Hell the cops were trying to cover this up to save Joe and his wrinkled old (backside). And McQueary is just as much a scumbag as any of them. He should have A.) done something to help the kid when he saw what he saw and B.) I believe he used this information as leverage to go from Graduate Assistant, to a nice paycheck as an assistant coach.

If Penn State had any sack Joe Pa would be put out to pasture yesterday if he won't step down.

I said "IF"...

At the end of the day, put yourself in Joe's situation...

No matter how little information is given, hearing about Sanduski and a boy in a shower is more than enough to raise an eyebrow. And at the end of the day, if YOU heard a story (with very little to no details) about a colleague that YOU knew for decades, wouldn't you go and talk to your colleague about it... did Joe even do that?

Again, I'm not sure about what or how much Joe knew... and regardless of his great tenure as a coach, if he knew next to nothing, then who cares what the public thinks? It will be mixed... same goes with Michael Jackson... people call him an icon, others a monster. Joe will not endure the same ordeal, but at the end of the day, the public has already decided on their feelings towards "Joe"...

I hope he did the most that he could with what information he had... but given the facts thus far, it appears he could have done more. I guess we'll have to wait and see...

I'm suprised Joe hasn't played the "I'm suffering from Dementia" card and can't remember a thing about it.

I said "IF"...

At the end of the day, put yourself in Joe's situation...

No matter how little information is given, hearing about Sanduski and a boy in a shower is more than enough to raise an eyebrow. And at the end of the day, if YOU heard a story (with very little to no details) about a colleague that YOU knew for decades, wouldn't you go and talk to your colleague about it... did Joe even do that?

Have you ever played football or a sport at a high level? Showering with your team is nothing out of the ordinary, showering with a kid is strange but nothing that necessarily throws up a red flag, especially as a long tenured coach of a Div. 1 football team. It would seem strange, but grounds for notifying the police?

Again, I'm not sure about what or how much Joe knew... and regardless of his great tenure as a coach, if he knew next to nothing, then who cares what the public thinks? It will be mixed... same goes with Michael Jackson... people call him an icon, others a monster. Joe will not endure the same ordeal, but at the end of the day, the public has already decided on their feelings towards "Joe"...

As I stated in the first post, I grew up in State College, and my family still lives there. Paterno is God there, he has been the moral compass for that entire city for nearly half a century, for this to happen and for his career as a coach to end this way rattles the entire city.

I hope he did the most that he could with what information he had... but given the facts thus far, it appears he could have done more. I guess we'll have to wait and see...

Once more details come to light, hopefully it will clear some things up, but right now I think more of the blame has to be on McQueary for A) Not stopping Sandusky when he witnessed the act, B) Calling his father and not the authorities and C) Divulging vague details about the incident to Paterno.

Most of you have probably heard by now that former Penn State defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky has been arrested and charged with 40 counts of child sex abuse spanning over a 15 year period.

As someone who grew up in State College, PA, and actually knew Jerry Sandusky and various other individuals in this case, this is truly shocking.

This is the full 23-page Grand Jury Presentment, it contains some graphic descriptions but I hope we can all be mature here.
http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2011/1107/espn_e_Sandusky-Grand-Jury-Presentment.pdf

Please discuss.

If Paterno knew something about it but did not report it to authorities, then he is also partially responsible, whether he likes it or not. Yes, it's sad that a coach who has been the face of Penn State football for half a century has this taint his legacy; he probably should've left a few years ago. But if he could've stopped it then he has really no one else to blame. Maybe once all the truth has come out, we'll get a better idea how the Paterno Era will be perceived.

Have you ever played football or a sport at a high level? Showering with your team is nothing out of the ordinary, showering with a kid is strange but nothing that necessarily throws up a red flag, especially as a long tenured coach of a Div. 1 football team. It would seem strange, but grounds for notifying the police?

Yes, I have. An you're right... that is nothing out of the ordinary.

However, if whatever vague "details" McQueary gave Joe was "enough" to warrant Joe talking to his boss about it, then the above statement that you made is moot, because if Joe thought he should talk to his boos, then it was more than simply "strange" (your words).

I'm sorry that your town's god has been seemingly taken down a notch... these things happen... when the christian world realizes that Jesus Christ is nothing more than the Ronald McDonald of corporate religion, it might shake a few people up as well... such is life. The sun will still rise the next morning. And if Joe put forth the "best" possible efforts in this terrible affair, then all will be good.

:yay:

This scandal shouldn't forever tarnish Joe Pa's nearly 50 years of coaching at Penn State. Sad ending to his career, it's only the right thing that he and a zillion other people step down. Gross negligence allowed Sandusky to commit absurd crimes under their noses.

I'm shocked & disgusted with this entire scandal. It's truly a shame Paterno has to exit under these types of circumstances. As for Sandusky & the others involved in this heinous crime, I do hope they all get what's coming to them.

A 60 year old man showering with a 10 year old boy is not considered strange?

And from the news reports he was more than just showering and if that is true why didn't the guy who witness at least call police if not run in there to pummel Sandusky and that it never went further than notifying administration?

Disgraceful. Sandusky should go to jail and everyone who knew and didn't follow up should be let go.

Also it looks like this will be Paterno's last season from what ESPN is reporting.

Also it looks like this will be Paterno's last season from what ESPN is reporting.

Wishful thinking on Joe Pa's part. The Board of Trustee's meets on Friday. My guess is they don't allow him to make it to Saturday as State Penn Univ.
(Yes, I know it's the other way around)
Head FB Coach.

Sandusky has been a part of the Football Program for pretty much all of Joe Pa's time at PSU. He was a linebacker on the team when Paterno took over as Head Coach. This was all swept under the rug for a very long time and Joe's rep should be tarnished.

I don't think Paterno, or anyone from the administration who had a hand in the cover-up, deserved to stay on their job for another day. Paterno may be a legend for Penn State football, but allowing him to coach until the end of the season is the wrong decision.

I'm surprised he'll get to retire at the end of the season. I would have thought they would can him as soon as they can.

A 60 year old man showering with a 10 year old boy is not considered strange?

It is, I said it was. But on that description alone is that grounds to call the police?

And from the news reports he was more than just showering and if that is true why didn't the guy who witness at least call police if not run in there to pummel Sandusky and that it never went further than notifying administration?

Exactly, McQueary was the one who actually witnessed it, and did nothing about stopping it, or calling the police. Then when he went to Paterno a day later and didn't state exactly what he saw, only that Sandusky was showering with a 10 year old boy.

Disgraceful. Sandusky should go to jail and everyone who knew and didn't follow up should be let go.

I think McQueary and the two administrators should be punished, not Joe, based on the information he was given from McQueary I would have done the exact same thing in Joe's shoes.

It's good to see people in State College not turning on Joe so easily, it seems everyone I talk to outside of my home city have their share of conspiracy theories and haven't read the reports or looked at all the evidence. This Saturday's game against Nebraska will definitely have a unique atmosphere.

I'm surprised he'll get to retire at the end of the season. I would have thought they would can him as soon as they can.

Paterno still holds too much power at Penn State, because their football program generated 50 mil profit last year and he's essentially the CEO of that program. I think that's why he gets to set the terms of his eventually retirement, which I don't agree with.

I hate to see Paterno's career tainted by this scandel, but as the initial point of contact for the witness, he had a responsibility to follow up and make sure that this issue was addressed with the appropriate authorities.

Especially considering he had a mentor relationship with Sandusky. If there was any doubt in his mind, there should have been some type of intervention other than barring him from the facilities. As a former mentor, he should have made sure Sandusky sought help.

I don't believe Joe should be charged but I think his inaction reflects a lack in professional judgement. Considering he built his career preaching to his players about honor, ethics, accountability and winning the "right way", this certainly is a back eye to that image.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"