• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Homecoming Post homecoming rank the spiderman villains?

1. Doc Ock
2. Sandman (despite the horrible retcon)
3. Vulture
4. Harry-Goblin (ASM2)
5. The Lizard
6. Green Goblin
7. Electro
8. Rhino
9. Harry-Goblin (SM3)
10. Shocker(s)

Doc Ock
Green Goblin
Vulture
New Goblin
Sandman
Venom
Shocker
Lizard
Rhino
Electro
Butt-Methhead

Vulture
Doc Ock
Green Goblin (Norman)
Sandman
Shocker
New Goblin (Harry)
Venom
Lizard
Electro
ASM Green Goblin (Harry)
Rhino

Vulture and Doc Ock are neck in neck for me, so it was kinda hard to choose but I'd give the edge to Vulture mostly cause I've been a Keaton fan for years. Also Shocker is a bit higher up than some of the other villains because even though we didn't see much from him, he was serviceable in his role. Other than not having a full costume, he didn't do anything to bother me.

Last edited:
Doc Ock
Green Goblin (Dafoe)
Vulture
New Goblin
Sandman
Shocker
Venom
Lizard
Green Goblin (Dehan)
Electro
Rhino

Vulture is the first Spidey film villain I've liked so,

1. Vulture
who cares

Wow really? Jeez haha

Yep. Ock always seemed OCKINO to me and Dafoe's GG was hammy as all get out(not even going to bring up the costume issues). In fact they're basically the same character. Good men turned bad by an accident of their own making due to hubris. Vulture ain't that. He owns his actions.

1. Doc Ock
2. Vulture
3. Green Goblin

The order is interchangeable. The rest are forgettable at best.

1) GG (Dafoe)
2) Doc Ock
3) Vulture

Don't care about the rest.

Dafoe was a GREAT Norman. Love the dinner table scene. I was sure he was gonna stab May with a fork!

Love the appreciation for Dafoe here, beginning to feel he's a little underrated as Gobby.

You didn't feel for Toomes at all after that opening scene?

Yes, I did. It was understandable for him to be upset about what happened. But after what follows I don't feel like he was a sympathetic villain. I dunno, maybe I'm in the minority on this view but imo, no, he wasn't.

^ No, I agree. There's nothing sympathetic about a guy whose first reaction after losing ONE job is "Well screw everything, I shall become a supervillain!". Did he even try to find another one?

Anyway, here's my list:

- Doctor Octopus
- Green Goblin
- Sandman
- Lizard
- Vulture
- Tinkerer
- Venom
- New Goblin
- Shocker

Haven't seen TASM 2.

^ No, I agree. There's nothing sympathetic about a guy whose first reaction after losing ONE job is "Well screw everything, I shall become a supervillain!". Did he even try to find another one?

Anyway, here's my list:

- Doctor Octopus
- Green Goblin
- Sandman
- Lizard
- Vulture
- Tinkerer
- Venom
- New Goblin
- Shocker

Really Sandman and Lizard over Vulture? Can I ask why?

Haven't seen TASM 2.

You dodged a bullet.

Eh, Toomes didn't "lose one job". He basically had his whole business destroyed by the whims of those with more power. Did he handle this well? No. But he had an understandable reason for a grudge.

It helps that his actions afterwards, while criminal, were not dehumanizingly evil. He was a thief and a black market tech dealer, but he wasn't exactly leaving a mountain of corpses in his wake. He was a criminal plausibly in the range where he could rationalize his deeds as "not actually hurting anybody innocent". He's wrong, sure ( he's selling superguns to crooks, clearly innocent people are going to get harmed at some point ), but not so wrong that he comes off as delusional or psychopathic.

1) Doc Ock/Vulture: Both work perfectly for the film they are in. They both are three dimensional, get some great moments, have well fleshed out motivations and make interesting foils to Peter (Ock is a version of Peter who never accepted responsibility for Ben's death, Vulture is a fellow "little man" who is trying to get by in a world ruled by godlike heroes). These are two of the most well done live action super villains, IMO.

2) Green Goblin (Dafoe): Great performance and he gets some excellent and memorable moments, but the script does him a disservice by giving him little in the way of motivation or depth. He's a mediocre villain on paper that was elevated by the master-class actor who played him.

3) Green Goblin(Franco): This is where the quality starts to decline. Harry should have been the main baddie of SM3, but Raimi was more interested in Sandman and the studio in Venom, so Harry got he shaft. A shame, because Franco gives a truly creepy performance and he gets a few good scenes. His "redemption" is rushed and hokey and the fact that his master plan is to simply split Harry and MJ up is embarrassing, but he's still on of the better things about an otherwise ****y movie.

4) Tinkerer: Churus gave a pretty fun performance with this guy. I liked how OCD he was, and I enjoyed him as a sort of evil Ned Leeds in the way that he geeked out about all of the tech he was working with. I seriously hope he continues to supply Spider-Man villains with tech in the sequels.

5) Shocker(Woodbine): While Shocker isn't given much to do, what we got of him feels straight of the page from the classic comics Shocker. He's a consummate professional, seems to enjoy his work, and is pretty level headed (once Iron Man shows up to save the ferry, he tries to quit, which makes him pretty genre savy). He got a few cool moments (beating up Spider-man with the busses, jumping on the Vulture's back to fly away from the Ferry) and Woodbine gave him a cool demeanor and presence that was pretty entertaining ("I didn't want to use this at first, but DAYUMN"). Serves his role as well as he could have and I hope he shows up to plunder the webbed again in future installments.

6) The Lizard: The Lizard is done pretty well, but the absence of his family and a lack of clarity on how his apparent split personality worked makes him feel like a generic mad scientist, which really feels like a waste of one of Spidey's most tragic foes. However, I like that they went all out with the comic-booky stuff, such as the lizard army and whatnot, even if it clashed wth an otherwise grounded film. He's ranked below Shocker because I feel like that character was a spot on adaptation, whereas there is much wasted potential with the Lizard.

7) Shocker(Marshall-Green): While this character got a limited screen time, I feel like he had a pretty entertaining personality and I would have liked to see more of him. He seemed really enthused about being a super villain, which was fun. I wish he got more screen time. The only reason he's higher than the rest is because he doesn't actively piss me off at all.

8) Green Goblin(Dane DeHaan): While the character is awfully written, DeHaan is entertaining enough to be watchable. His motivations were terrible though, and he quickly became a generic baddie with a grudge against Spider-Man, throwing away any potential depth he seemed to have in the beginning. Plus, he looked terrible in that Goblin get up. I feel sorry for the Harry Osborn character. He's had two shots at being the main villain in these movies and both were disappointing.

9) Venom: This character could have been better with more screen time, but he feels like a cartoon villain. Praying to god to kill Peter Parker? Please. However, the direction of making him an anti-Peter is interesting, and having a completely evil monster felt fresh in a film series of (sometimes poor attempts at) sympathetic villains.

10) Electro: Pretty terribly cartoony character. Not much to say here. The other two just annoy me more.

11) Rhino: Yeah, he's pretty awful. Nothing much to say here.

12) Sandman: Oooh boy does this character grind my gears. First you have the terrible origin retcon. Then you have the fact that his presence forced a more interesting villain (Harry) to the sidelines. Then you have the worst thing; the fact that Flint Marko may be the most morally repugnant human being in the Raimi films, in spite of the fact that the movie seems to see him as a tragic anti-hero. Marko has a good sob story, sure, but the character loses my sympathy when he engages in bank robberies that seem to kill or injure several security guards and cops. Then he works with Venom to kidnap an innocent young woman and kills several swat officers to do so. THEN, after spending two hours either killing or injuring every other person he has interacted with in the film, Spider-Man feels it justified to let this serial mudering bank robber go free. Every other villain had some excuse for what they were doing. Green Goblin was driven insane by the serum. Octavius was partially under the control of his tentacles' AI. Harry never actually targeted innocents and Venom was being influenced by the symbiote. Marko was in full control of his actions every time he attacked or killed someone. I just find him to be an unlikable monster and I HATE how the movie seems to pride itself on how likable it thinks he is. Vulture had a sympathetic motivation as well, but at the end of the day the movie still clearly thought of him as a villain. Sandman is maybe the worst part of SM3 for me. Well, aside from the dancing.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:
Really Sandman and Lizard over Vulture? Can I ask why?
You're probably expecting some rational explanation for it but the truth is, I just liked those two more. :hehe: What's not to like about Sandman? I mean, besides the dumb Uncle Ben retcon, of course. He had clear (if a bit cliched) motivations, he was well-acted and he even looked exactly like he does in the comics. Plus he had that great origin scene.

As for the Lizard... he's one of my favorite Spider-Man villains so of course I'd give him the edge, even though TASM's version was disappointing to say the least.

It helps that his actions afterwards, while criminal, were not dehumanizingly evil. He was a thief and a black market tech dealer, but he wasn't exactly leaving a mountain of corpses in his wake. He was a criminal plausibly in the range where he could rationalize his deeds as "not actually hurting anybody innocent". He's wrong, sure ( he's selling superguns to crooks, clearly innocent people are going to get harmed at some point ), but not so wrong that he comes off as delusional or psychopathic.
I dunno... to me, selling dangerous alien tech to criminals who will inevitably use against innocent people (even other "little guys" and their families) seems irresponsible at best and plain evil at worst.

And since the movie does not bother to show us exactly when and why Toomes became like that, all we can do is assume that he's either a huge hypocrite, or that he was already corrupt way before losing his job.

EDIT: You know, on second though, I really don't think I liked Lizard more than Vulture. Vulture was a bit underwritten but that doesn't diminish how entertaining Keaton was in the role. That car scene was just great.

Last edited:
  1. Vulture
  2. Lizard
  3. Harry Goblin (Spider-Man 3)
  4. Tinkerer
  5. Green Goblin
  6. Sandman
  7. Venom
  8. Aaron Davis
  9. Harry Goblin (TASM2)
  10. Electro
  11. Doc Ock
  12. Shockers
  13. Rhino

1) Doc Ock
2) Vulture
3) Green Goblin
^^
Creme dela creme of Spidey movie villains in my opinion. It's really kind of a three way tie with these first three, loved them all quite equally.

4)Sandman (despite the Uncle Ben retcon I really believe he had as much potential as the first three).
5)New Goblin
6)Lizard
7)Shocker (He was fine, he just lacked some depth and was kinda just there, I really wanted him to wear his full costume. I'm sure he'll be back in costume in the sequel or one of the sequels)
8)Venom
9)Electro
10)Rhino
11) Green Goblin (TASM 2) That's right, below Rhino. Why? At least Rhino made me smirk with how over the top and cheesy he was.

Last edited:
My Top five are

Doc Ock
Vulture
Green Goblin
Lizard
Venom- While Brock out of the costume was a weak, I actually liked Venom when he didn't speak or whine.

The worst are
Electro-by a mile
Dehaan Goblin
Sandman
Rhino

The mediocre
New Goblin

Okay
Herman Schultz Shocker

Vulture
Doc Ock
Lizard