Sequels Producers Nix Miles Morales as a sequel character

Hypestyle

Superhero
Reaction score
http://www.themarysue.com/amazing-spider-man-2-producer-miles-morales/

Unacceptable answers from the producers. There’s absolutely no excuse not to explore the Miles Morales story eventually. This is myopic thinking, at best. At worst, there’s no way to staunchly defend this position to the utmost without diverging into a racial rationale. Not saying it has to be the next movie, but if the producers and Sony/Columbia are serious about an expanded “Spiderverse” of connected films, then unless you are going to explore Peter Parker’s story well into his presumed late-20s and 30s—eventually, the actor playing Peter is not going to be interested anymore (and having 30-year-old actors playing 21 presents its own logistical challenges down the line). I can also only presume that the producers are uninterested in a “This is 40” take on Spider-Man which would steer headlong into self-satire in the wrong hands (cue malfunctioning web-shooters as a metaphor for male impotence, I guess). So why not drop some hints about another young man picking up the mantle? Nolan’s Dark Knight part 3 actually had the courage to use the narrative to set up John Blake as the next Gotham defender. If Spider-Man is “the hero who could be..you!” (I’m quoting some old Stan dialogue) then why the monomaniacal insistence that every future Spidey story on film must be about Peter Parker?

(For example) Justin Bieber is too drugged-out and (wannabe) ‘thugged-out’ to be a reliable replacement for Mr. Garfield. Spider-Man’s full-body covering has been cited as one of the reasons why folks from various racial/ethnic backgrounds can identify with the character. So why not take this notion to the next level, cinematically? The Harry Potter movies have already showcased younger teens in an ongoing series of popular fantasy films—the knock that Miles starts off too young doesn’t work. A Miles Morales Spider-Man film would only build on the mythology and expand it for future generations. Include his parents and his classmates, for sure. Cuba Gooding and Eva Mendez can play the dad and mom. Mike Epps can play uncle Aaron. It doesn’t have to follow the comics’ storylines verbatim, either (dad doesn’t have to have a super-hatred of ‘mutants’; the uncle can be content to be a cat-burglar/thief and not a crime-boss wannabe). Various villains from the comics could be updated, new characters created, etc. I also find it unseemly that the criminals/villains of the series—deep turpitude and all—can be touted for spinoff films while Miles’ story is seemingly off the table by default.

If it turns out that Sony technically does not have the license to the “Miles Morales” concept, then I submit that Marvel/Disney include the character as the ‘Ultimate Spider-Man’ of the MCU, just in time for Avengers 3. We’ve already seen the handling of Quicksilver at both Fox and Disney. No OsCorp? No Midtown High? No Daily Bugle? No Sinister Six? Fine. Miles’ backstory can be written without involving the traditional Spider-Man supporting cast. An all-new mythology can still be built from the ground up. Ultimate Spidey was already interacting with Ultimate Fury early on, being set up as a future recruit. Maybe it’s Shield or Hydra behind the scenes instead of OsCorp. Since Peter’s using his traditional webcasters in the Sony films, have Miles’ be organic. The invisibility/blending and stun-touch diversify his power set enough.

Last edited:
Avi Arad needs to retire yesterday.

Why would they switch to Miles when Peter's rogues gallery and storyline has been barely tapped?

Finish up this trilogy, then have TAS4 be a transitionary story from Parker to Morales - the latter being the main character and the former being delegated to the supporting/mentor role. The movie can end with Peter Parker dying and Morales taking on the mantle in earnest.

Say what you will about the actual Ultimates arc, but there is such great potential in that character. It could give the Spidey franchise just the shot in the arm it needs.

Who hell is Miles Morales?

Bu seriously, he's a character only a few years old who didnt appear in the Ultimate comics until Peter died, with no basis in the 616 comics or any cartoon besides a cameo in the terrible Ultimate Dragonfly show, who barely anyone cares about. They don't need to make a movie about him

I'd like to see Miles. With each movie they do with Peter he becomes a little bit more stale and audiences will grow bored of him. Introducing a new Spider-Man would fix that to an extent

i would rather they just keep rebooting Peter Parker. There is only one Spider-Man...

I wouldn't mind seeing Morales take over from Peter.

Glad to hear this, no thank you to Miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"